This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Change in Game Plan

by zaffar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:21 am
GMAT Material
- Princeton Review.2006-07
- Manhattan SC 2003.
- Kaplan Verbal..
- OG11-OG10. practice SC ONLY after completing Manhattan SC & Kaplan Grammar Section.
- 1000 SC.
- 1000 CR.

CAT Tests:-
- GMATPrep tests I II III. [will take them more than 2 times to exhaust all questions]
- PowerPrep tests. I II.
- Kaplan tests . I II III IV.
- Princeton tests I II III IV.

STUDY PLAN

1. OG10:-
QUANT:-
DS: - 274 (Answers + Explanation)
PS: - 441 (Answers + Explanation)

VERBAL:-
CR: - 205 (Answers + Explanation)
SC: - 268 (Answers + Explanation)
RC: - 285 (Answers + Explanation)

2. OG11 :- (800 retired GMAT® questions organized by Difficulty and thorough explanations of the answers.)
QUANT:-
DS:- 155 (Only Answers No Explanation)???
PS: - 249 (Only Answers No Explanation)???

VERBAL:-
RC: - NA ???????????????
CR: - 124 (Answers + Explanation)
SC: - 138 (Answers + Explanation)

3. OG11 Verbal Review:- (300 real GMAT® questions, with answers and explanations)

RC:- 105 (Answers + Explanation)
CR:- 82 (Answers + Explanation)
SC:- 113 (Answers + Explanation)

4. Kaplan Verbal
15- SC Practice Sets:- 66 (3 sets with 22 q each) (Answers + Explanation)
16- CR Practice sets: - 48 (3 sets with 16 q each) (Answers + Explanation)
17- RC Practice Sets: -54 (3 sets with 18 q each) (Answers + Explanation)

SC Practice 265 Q’s (Answers + Explanation)

The Game Plan:

Day 1
1. Read the "general test tips" section in the Princeton Review book (chs. 1-6 in Princeton Review).

Day 2
2. Take the first practice test from the GMATPrep Software. Will Spend at least 2 hours reviewing both the questions I got wrong and the questions I got right.

Day 3-4-5
3. Read the Quantitative section in the Princeton Review book (chs. 7-13 in Princeton Review). Read the Verbal section (chs. 14-17 in Princeton Review).

Day 6-7-8
4. QUANT:-In the OG10, do problems #1-#100 in Problem Solving and #1-60 in Data Sufficiency. VERBAL:- In the OG10, do problems #1-#71 in Reading Comprehension, #1-51 in Critical Reasoning, and #1-67 in Sentence Correction. Will Make sure to time myself on all questions and Keep Log.

Day 9
5. Take the First practice test from the PowerPrep Software. Will Spend at least 2 hours reviewing both the questions I got wrong and the questions I got right.

Day 10-11-12
6. Read the Manhattan SC & Kaplan Grammar Section. Will try to digest it.:)

Day 13-14-15
7. QUANT:-In the OG10, do problems #101-#200 in Problem Solving and #61-#120 in Data Sufficiency. VERBAL:- In the OG10, do problems #72-#142 in Reading Comprehension, #52-#102 in Critical Reasoning, and #68-134 in Sentence Correction. Will Make sure to time myself on all questions and Keep Log.

Day 16
8. Take the Second practice test from the PowerPrep Software. Will Spend at least 2 hours reviewing both the questions I got wrong and the questions I got right.

Day 17-18-19 ???????

Day 20-21-22
9. QUANT:- In the OG10, do problems #201-#320 in Problem Solving and #121-#197 in Data Sufficiency. VERBAL:- In the OG10, do problems #143-#213 in Reading Comprehension, #103-#154 in Critical Reasoning, and #134-201 in Sentence Correction. Will Make sure to time myself on all questions and Keep Log.

Day 23
10. Take the First practice test from Kaplan CD-Rom Software. Will Spend at least 2 hours reviewing both the questions I got wrong and the questions I got right.

Day 24-25-26??????????

Day 27-28-29
11. QUANT:- In the OG10, do problems #321-#441 in Problem Solving and #198-#274 in Data Sufficiency.VERBAL:- In the OG10, do problems #214-#285 in Reading Comprehension, #155-#205 in Critical Reasoning, and #202-268 in Sentence Correction. Will Make sure to time myself on all questions and Keep Log.

Day 30
12. Take the Second practice test from Kaplan CD-Rom Software. Will Spend at least 2 hours reviewing both the questions I got wrong and the questions I got right.

WILL REVIEW PROGRESS AFTER ONE MONTH

by zaffar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:32 am
After 1 month I'll left with 7 tests and arnd 4 more weeks. In this i'll try to do OG 11, OG11 Verbal Review & Kaplan Verbal.

===========================================
Plan for Last 2 weeks
===========================================
Saturday Third practice test from Princeton Review .
Sunday Will Start AWA Practice.
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday Third practice test from Kaplan CD-Rom .
Friday
Saturday
Sunday Fourth practice test from Princeton Review .
Monday
Tuesday Fourth practice test from Kaplan CD-Rom.
Wednesday
Thursday Second practice test from the GMATPrep.
Friday
Saturday Test Day.
==============================================

will try to post my daily progress from tomorrow.

Suggestion/Advices are welcome. :evil: :twisted:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:46 am
Wow zaffar, I have to commend you on your detailed study plan. I really like how you emphasize practice tests and reviewing your errors.

Please keep us updated, and don't hesitate to ask us your questions.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

split the thread

by aim-wsc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:46 pm
your posts deserved a separate thread so I moved it here.
its good study plan.
keep us posted 8)

First Day

by zaffar » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 pm
Hi,

My friend is here for weekend and i finished my first day assignment by studying late night arnd 1:00 am. will give the first GMATprep test today. not a start which i have thought but anywayz lets hope for the best.

Day 1
1. Read the "general test tips" section in the Princeton Review book (chs. 1-6 in Princeton Review).

points learned:-

nothing new same old things like use POE to eliminate choices, avoid careless mistakes etc.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: First Day

by beatthegmat » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:49 am
zaffar wrote:Hi,

My friend is here for weekend and i finished my first day assignment by studying late night arnd 1:00 am. will give the first GMATprep test today. not a start which i have thought but anywayz lets hope for the best.

Day 1

points learned:-

nothing new same old things like use POE to eliminate choices, avoid careless mistakes etc.
Yep, it's definitely hard to study with a visitor from out of town you have to entertain. I'm impressed that you found the time.

Day2

by zaffar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:32 pm
Hi,

my friend has made my life hell :wink: :) he called me thousand times tomorrow during my GMATPrep test. he is an #%#%@! :lol:

newyaz here is my progress:-

Day 2
2. Take the first practice test from the GMATPrep Software. Will Spend at least 2 hours reviewing both the questions I got wrong and the questions I got right.

Total Score:- I think 540. It came only when i finished my test after that when i was reviewing my answers i cant find total score.

Quant:- 3-4 Minuters Remaining
Verbal:- 15 Minutes Remaining

Total Mistakes:- 20+21
Quant Mistakes:- 20
PS:- 9
3 Careless Mistakes
1 Coneptual Error

DS:- 11 6 Careless Mistakes
2 Conceptual Errors
2 Doubts

Conclusion:- ohh my God so many Careleess mistakes I was thinking of time so tried to do calculations faster & some concepts are also not clear.
Guessing is so tempting will try to overcome it.

Verbal Mistakes:- 21

SC:- 9
CR:- 6 2 Careless Mistakes.
RC:- 6 3 Purpose of passage Mistakes

Conclusion:- Concentration was lost, tried to concentrate but there were many interruptions.
Poor Vocabulary

===============================================

I cant find answer explanation to Paractice test questions in GMATPrep. how can i find answer to some question in which i have doubt. will try to look again. if i cant find and if there are no explanation in GMATPrep then i will post them in their respective forum.

till next post take care

Suggestion/Advice are welcome 8)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: Day2

by beatthegmat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:25 pm

my friend has made my life hell :wink: :) he called me thousand times tomorrow during my GMATPrep test. he is an #%#%@! :lol:

newyaz here is my progress:-

Day 2

Total Score:- I think 540. It came only when i finished my test after that when i was reviewing my answers i cant find total score.

Quant:- 3-4 Minuters Remaining
Verbal:- 15 Minutes Remaining

Total Mistakes:- 20+21
Quant Mistakes:- 20
PS:- 9
3 Careless Mistakes
1 Coneptual Error

DS:- 11 6 Careless Mistakes
2 Conceptual Errors
2 Doubts

Conclusion:- ohh my God so many Careleess mistakes I was thinking of time so tried to do calculations faster & some concepts are also not clear.
Guessing is so tempting will try to overcome it.

Verbal Mistakes:- 21

SC:- 9
CR:- 6 2 Careless Mistakes.
RC:- 6 3 Purpose of passage Mistakes

Conclusion:- Concentration was lost, tried to concentrate but there were many interruptions.
Poor Vocabulary

===============================================

I cant find answer explanation to Paractice test questions in GMATPrep. how can i find answer to some question in which i have doubt. will try to look again. if i cant find and if there are no explanation in GMATPrep then i will post them in their respective forum.

till next post take care

Suggestion/Advice are welcome 8)
Great update, zaffar!

With regards to GMATPrep--you won't find explanations with this software. The best way to get an explanation--like you mentioned--is to ask this forum. A lot of us have already gone through GMATPrep and we can help you sort out any confusion you might have.

Keep up the good work!

Day 3

by zaffar » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:28 pm
Hi,

I didnt do anything yesterday [:(]. I went with my friend for long trip, did nothing specific were just wondering here and there. [:P].

newayz my plan was :-

Day 3-4-5

Read the Quantitative section in the Princeton Review book (chs. 7-13 in Princeton Review). Read the Verbal section (chs. 14-17 in Princeton Review).

Will start today Inshallah. I am posting some questions, which i got wrong on GMATPrep, in their respective forums. Everyone help in this regard will be appreciated.

lets hope for the Best.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:01 pm
A couple of things:

Don't forget to spend time reviewing and analyzing ALL of the practice questions you do, not just your tests. In fact, don't do as many practice questions as you have listed in your plan. Quality study is more important than sheer quantity.

Don't forget to give yourself days off! You can't study every single day for 30 days without driving yourself crazy.

FYI you will continue to have large numbers of wrong answers - that's the way the test is contructed. The key to a better score lies in the (hopefully increasing) difficulty level of the questions you answer. The number you get right (or wrong) is not as much of a factor.

It seems like you already have your test date set, but for others reading this, the ideal is to spread your prep over about 3 months. If you study more than about 2 hours a day, your effectiveness after the 2 hour mark goes way down.

And, just to repeat because it's so important, analyze and review EVERYthing that you do - every single question you try to answer. Don't just do hundreds and hundreds of problems - cut down the sheer number but learn something (or 5 things) from every single problem you do.

Good luck!! :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Day 4 & Day 5

by zaffar » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:59 am
Hi,

i have to go to some place yesterday evening around 5pm and just came back aroung 9 pm. so i havenot studied anything for 17 hrs :( .

Day 3-4-5

Read the Quantitative section in the Princeton Review book (chs. 7-13 in Princeton Review). Read the Verbal section (chs. 14-17 in Princeton Review).

but on the morning of day4 that is monday morning i did studied chapter 7-11 from princeton review. it refreshed my basic maths principles. These chapters covered arithmetic,algebra and applied arithmetic.

some of the important topics were range & standard deviation, plugging in values for algebra problems, inequalities, work problem, probability and permutaions and combination.

there will be minor changes in my plan. will see to them tomorrow. right now i am too tired to think about GMAT.

Thanks Stacey Koprince for your advice and wish. I'll also review my practice questions. but i also want to finish atleast OG10 & OG 11 if not other two kaplan and OG verbal guides.

i am free these days so i have 24 hrs at my disposal. i have left my job and currently not looking for any. i mostly study 6-7 hrs a day in 2-2-3 or 2-3-2 pattern.

wil continue to write my daily progress and i hope you will continue to give your views about it.

Suggestion/Advices are welcome.

Day 6

by zaffar » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:25 pm
Hi,

Day 6-7-8
4. QUANT:-In the OG10, do problems #1-#100 in Problem Solving and #1-60 in Data Sufficiency. VERBAL:- In the OG10, do problems #1-#71 in Reading Comprehension, #1-51 in Critical Reasoning, and #1-67 in Sentence Correction. Will Make sure to time myself on all questions and Keep Log.

was supposed to doind problems from OG10 but i am way behind from my schedule. will try to catch it up.

I did the remaining ch 12-13 from princeton's quantative section.that were about Geometry and data suffieciency. I also did some quantative practrice question from the same book.

today will try to finish verbal part or do as much as i can.

Suggestions/advices are welcome.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: Day 6

by beatthegmat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Day 6-7-8

was supposed to doind problems from OG10 but i am way behind from my schedule. will try to catch it up.

I did the remaining ch 12-13 from princeton's quantative section.that were about Geometry and data suffieciency. I also did some quantative practrice question from the same book.

today will try to finish verbal part or do as much as i can.

Nice update--how long do you spend studying each day?

Day 7

by zaffar » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:30 am
Hi,

it looks that i am not going to ace the GMAT :( . i am going too slow. :cry: .but i am not dishearted will pace up my study with time 8) :twisted: .

i did only sentence correction chapter from princeton review yesterday. It states 8 types of errors which, according to them, ETS mostly tests on GMAT. I think i have to move forward my Day 6-7-8 work. will study reading comrehension and critical reasoning today and take test from princeton.

lets see :roll:

as for how long i spend each day studying hmm right now hardly 3 hrs :x but as i am free these days will try to make it 6-7 hrs. 8) :idea:

Day8

by zaffar » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:57 am
Hi,

I did RC and CR part from PR. But i think i have to give it some more time will review these sections tomorrow again. :?

will give first PP test on sunday instead of saturday, due to all shit that happened this week and disturbed my progress.

Thats all for today . nothing much for this day.

see you tomorrow :evil: :twisted: