My study plan and progress

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:48 am
zaffar wrote:Hi,

i have some Questions

-CR & SC is little difficult as compare to OG 10. any idea about it?

-i am doing 4 out of 20/25 wrong in CR is this Ok. please suggest. if i do 4 wrong in all verbalsection on gmat total of 12 wrong. what will be scaled score

GCHall840 start a new thread and post your preparation and progress there.

Suggestions/ Advices are Welcome
I think you were comparing CR & SC in Kaplan vs. OG, right? If that's the case, I think all the verbal in the Kaplan books are more difficult than the verbal questions you should expect on the real GMAT.

In terms of guessing your scaled score by how many questions you got wrong--that's impossible to do. Since the GMAT is adaptive, 4 wrong can mean one score or another score depending on the type of questions. It's even impossible to ballpark what that performance means.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

EXTREMELY URGENT plzzzzzzzzzzz

by zaffar » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:38 am
Hi,

thankyou Eric for answering.

today i start doing RC from OG10. before that i read some posts about how to tackle RC in GMAT. most of them prefered to read the passage first and take some notes and advised to do practice. i tried to do 8 passages with this method but it bcak fired. first it took me almost 10 mins to read the whole passage and after each paragraph i tried to take notes it took me around 15 mins total. but then i answered 21/48 wrong :x :cry: . what the hell.

i am feeling so low after that. my morale was very high till morning today as i was scoring around 70-80% in SC and CR after so much studying and practicing.

English is my second language and i am not good at it. what should i do? practice with same method or try some other method. please i need help. any advice. i have test on april 28. so its urgent.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: EXTREMELY URGENT plzzzzzzzzzzz

by beatthegmat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:21 pm
zaffar wrote:Hi,

thankyou Eric for answering.

today i start doing RC from OG10. before that i read some posts about how to tackle RC in GMAT. most of them prefered to read the passage first and take some notes and advised to do practice. i tried to do 8 passages with this method but it bcak fired. first it took me almost 10 mins to read the whole passage and after each paragraph i tried to take notes it took me around 15 mins total. but then i answered 21/48 wrong :x :cry: . what the hell.

i am feeling so low after that. my morale was very high till morning today as i was scoring around 70-80% in SC and CR after so much studying and practicing.

English is my second language and i am not good at it. what should i do? practice with same method or try some other method. please i need help. any advice. i have test on april 28. so its urgent.

RC is difficult to advise folks on because the right strategy differs from person to person. Check out the strategies that Kaplan and Princeton Review suggest and try those. Also take a look at my study blog, https://beatthegmat.blocked, and see how I attacked RC.

There's no quick fix for RC performance other than trial and error and lots of practice.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by zaffar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:42 am
Hi,

i think i have to do practice for RC adn will do 3-5 Passages everyday for next 7-8 days. I hope it will get better. i am getting 50-60% hit rate.

my morale is very low since for last two days :cry: this *&@$@#$ RC. i think i'll not even get 650 :( .

anywayz i am now starting to do sets for Quant , LSAT for CR & RC and OG 11 and OG 11 verbal review for verbal overall. will start AWA from this friday. will make template and practice them on 3 CAT tests.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:48 pm
When you say you have a 50-60% hit rate, are you talking about percentage of questions you get right? That is not how the test scores you - the test scores you based upon the difficulty level of the questions that you get right. The majority of people who take the test will get roughly half the questions wrong (except at the very high and low ends of the score range). The difference is in the difficulty level of the questions. So it's not automatically bad to have a 50-60% hit rate - in fact, it can be quite good, depending upon the mix of questions.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by zaffar » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 am
thank you stacey for your reply.

i did some questions from OG11 today around 50 from each section and most of them are repeat from OG 10. is there any good in doing OG11? these questions are of no use to me because i finished doing OG10 last week. if most of them are repetition of OG10 then i will start doing the questions i got wrong in OG10.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:45 am
I think the overlap is around 60-70% (between OG 10 and 11). So there are some new questions, but most are not. The verbal and quant supplements, though, are all new questions (the purple and green books).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by HW » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:55 am
Stacey-I heard the opposite,in fact I brought it up in this thread.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1602

Somone mentioned that the overlap is 20% between 10th and 11th and that the verbal and quant is identical to the 10th

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:54 pm
Hmm. I've never done an analysis myself - that's just what I've heard others say. Let me ask around the curriculum department and see if anyone knows the definitive answer!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by zaffar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:55 am
Hi,

I start practicing AWA yesterday will post my template for opinions/suggestions.

I gave GMATPrep CAt II today and scored 600 :oops: verbal part totally destroy me and in Quant i miscalculated time and was left with 11 q in last 10 mins. tried to do it as quickly as i can but could only do 9 and 2 were left. and out of those 9 questions, i got 8 wrong :cry: . in these 9 first 7 were DS and last 2 were PS. My Breakup for test is
Quant scaled score :- 44
verbal Scaled Score :- 28

but i got 16 questions wrong and didnt attempt last 2 questions and still 44. is there some bug in GMATPrep or is this normal?
quant wrong question number were : 5-6-9-14-15-17-18-19-27-28-29-30-32-33-34-35 and out of these 5 questions (14-15-17-34-35) were PS and allother 11 questions were DS. :x

In verbal i attempted all questions and in this part too I got 16 wrong but scaled score is 28 :? in this i got wrong 1-2-5-7-11-14-16-18-20-23-26-29-30-31-33-37. out of which CR-3 RC-5 SC-8 SC part, which i thought was my strongest of three sections, was the worst one. and RC which I thought was my weakest i got only 5 wrong out of 4 passages.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:01 am
no bugs - your score isn't a function of the number wrong but of the difficulty level of the various questions. As you see, you can get the same # wrong and still get very different scores. (Well, obviously the number you get wrong matters a bit - you can't get them all wrong! - but the difficulty level is the thing that really matters.)

Also be aware of two important things:

No matter what you score you will get a lot of questions wrong. That's just how the test works. Even someone scoring an 800 will get a number of questions wrong.

A math raw score of 44 corresponds to about the 70th percentile and a verbal raw score of 28 corresponds to about the 50th percentile. I just call this out b/c the math and verbal aren't scaled the same. (For example, a 44 on verbal is the 97th percentile and a 28 on math is the 25th percentile.)

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by zaffar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:42 am
wtf man ... this verbal will ruin my GMAT :cry: :x .

my score and hit rate is dropping day by day instead of rising.

My GMAT is on coming saturday and i was targeting 720 + hahahhahhah. I am an ass :oops:

by Notmyking » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:16 am
Pls share the analysis of recent Gmat prep you have taken.

Its not over ............until I Win

by zaffar » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 am
11 hours to go. test tomorrow @ 9:30 :shock: :lol:

Wish me Good Luck. 8) :)

Now only prayers can save me.

and one more thing

Its not over ............until I Win

by Notmyking » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 am
Wish you all the best. You will come out with flying colors.