My study plan and progress

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Day8

by beatthegmat » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:32 am
zaffar wrote:Hi,

I did RC and CR part from PR. But i think i have to give it some more time will review these sections tomorrow again. :?

will give first PP test on sunday instead of saturday, due to all shit that happened this week and disturbed my progress.

Thats all for today . nothing much for this day.

see you tomorrow :evil: :twisted:

Suggestions/advices are welcome.
Keep at it, zaffar. Consistency in study is important in your preparation, so try your best to keep to a regular schedule (not that we can really control unexpected disruptions in life). :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Day 9

by zaffar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:09 am
Hi,

Thank you beatthegmat for encouraging. as i am not upto my schedule but am trying to catch it :twisted:

I reviewed RC and SC from PR. also did maths bin 1,2,3 from PR.

Bin 1 was too easy but i still did 3or4 mistakes all careless mistakes in 1 question i wrote down wrong answer choice. :o :?

Bin 2 was easy but i made 11 mistakes out of 27 q's. :cry: but out of that 8 were careless mistakes. concentration problem as i tried to solve them in time i forget the Q what is it asking about and i answer them wrong. but the good thing is that mu method is correct but worse thing is this that in GMAT no points for method one's answer should be right. :P :lol: i am trying .

Bin 3 was diificult and after bin 2 i thought to take my time on Q's and tried to not make a silly mistake like i used to. it take me around 60 -75mins to solve those 26 Q's.but the good thing is that i only had 6 q's wrong out of which i have no idea about 2 q's how to solve them. but i did make i silly mistake, that should be allowed hmmmmm or not. anyways careless mistakes are down to 1 ut it took time. will try to increase accuracay and solve them in less time.

right now my main weeak areas are geometry problems hard ones :) and probability problems.

today will give PP test 1 . lets see what happens. will update tomorrow. till then Bye.

Day10

by zaffar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:42 pm
Hello,

so i gave my second practice test and first PP test yesterday.here is what i did on it

POWERPREP1 25-Feb

Total Score:-
Scaled Score Percentile Time
[/b]Quant[/b]:-44 78 7 sec
Verbal:-24 33 1 min

Total score 570 62 percentile

Total Mistakes:- 8 + (12/30)
Quant Mistakes:- 8
PS:- 3 3 Careless Mistake
DS:- 5 4 Careless Mistakes
1-I was writing + on scratch paper but was doing - in my mind. It take me 10 mins to realiza what was I doing, when reviewing.
2-Yes/No question is rst=1? Rs=1 st=1 I was calculating t.
3- I realized that atleast do somecalculations on paper as u do it u may find some way to solve a statement.
1 Conceptual Errors Geometry prob. Angle inscribed in a semi circle is right angle.

Conclusion:- This test was easy as compare to GMATPREP or may be I have studied quant and practiced it.
Guessing is so tempting will try to overcome it.

Verbal Mistakes:- 12/30 PP only showed me 30 questions in review but I did finished in time did 41 questions.

SC:- 8
CR:- 2
RC:- 2

Conclusion:- No idea need help in this. Anyone please help. Too weak in Verbal.
Poor Vocabulary

Day11

by zaffar » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 pm
Hi,

My windowsXP hanged yesterday afternoon around 2:00pm and it wasted all my day to fix it. :( did nothing much yesterday as most of material or all my material except PR is in soft copy form so i need to have a PC to read.

I was supposed to do Manhattan SC but as i was going through my study material i came across Kaplan verbal and Princeton verbal. I need advice in this regard to start from which book. i have started Manahattan SC. but can anyone priortize these three books. I am very weak in Verbal part and need help in this.

I have noted that traffic on these GMAT forums is more from Oct to Jan. and it almost seizes after that. i made this assumption as one can see the number of posts by reading through posts on different sites.

see you tomorrow. byebye

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: Day11

by beatthegmat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:42 pm
zaffar wrote:Hi,

My windowsXP hanged yesterday afternoon around 2:00pm and it wasted all my day to fix it. :( did nothing much yesterday as most of material or all my material except PR is in soft copy form so i need to have a PC to read.

I was supposed to do Manhattan SC but as i was going through my study material i came across Kaplan verbal and Princeton verbal. I need advice in this regard to start from which book. i have started Manahattan SC. but can anyone priortize these three books. I am very weak in Verbal part and need help in this.

I have noted that traffic on these GMAT forums is more from Oct to Jan. and it almost seizes after that. i made this assumption as one can see the number of posts by reading through posts on different sites.

see you tomorrow. byebye

If I had to prioritize verbal text books, I would go in the following order:

1. PR - Good intro
2. Kaplan - Tough problems, decent strategy
3. Manhattan GMAT - Awesome strategy, great problems

With regard to traffic on forums--I've studied the trends using web metrics tools, and Feb thru early summer tends to be the slow time--which is unfortunate because these next few months (in my opinion) are the best time to be studying for the GMAT. Starting now gives you enough time to take the test twice (if needed) prior to Round 1 apps.

Best of luck, and thanks for the update!

Day12 & Day13

by zaffar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:44 am
Hi,

Thank you beatthegmat for your suggestion. i thought i have kaplan verbal book in soft copy but i only have that part in which there are verbal sets for practice. as i read PR already so i start doing manhattan SC. i am now concentrating on SC part of verbal and do this till saturday when i have to take the test as planned.

i am sorry i cant post my progress for last days as their were some problems with my computer, it was operating too slowly and sites were not opening properly. anyways now its ok and i hope it will remain lik ethis. :?

back to my progress for last two days first Day 12 i start doing manhattan SC and did 3 chapters it took me almost 4 hrs.
first chapter is about STYLE of the sentence in which it discusses brevity,redundancy and altered intent. second chapter is about subject verb agreement. this chapter clear many misconceptions.it is about "of" "and & other additive" "or either neither" "collective nouns." etc.third ch is about tense, mood & voice strategy. in it i came to know about "if .. then satatements" " if /whether" etc.
at the end of each chapter there are parctice questions.which help me alot.
Day13
was busy this day nothing much to write about.

i am wasting alot of my time. in 12 days i thibk i have studied only 8-9 days and out of which only on 4-5 days i studied for more than 5 hrs whereas my target was 6-7 hrs/day. still i have much time i think so :roll:

right now i am not following my plan.from next week i will start doing OG10. i think that will be good as i will give second PP test this weekend and it contains Q's freom OG10.

will post my today's progress tomorrow.

Day 17

by zaffar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 am
Hi,

sorry i wasted all of my last three days . did nothing :( couldn't post anything as i didn't study anything . i did try to study yesterday from Manhattan SC where i have left studying but i couldn't then i left it. :lol:

but today i give my PP second test as per schedule :oops:

POWERPREP 24-Mar

..............Scaled Score........Percentile....... Time
Quant:- 41 68 1 min
Verbal:- 28 48 2-3 mins
Total 570 62

Total Mistakes:- (9/27) + (10/30)

Quant Mistakes:-(9/27)
PS:- 4
DS:- 5

Verbal Mistakes:- (10/30)
SC:- 5
CR:- 3
RC:- 2

i will do my best to study now. i have wasted three days shit man :? :( .

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:30 pm
Keep at it man! Consistency is key!

by zaffar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:17 pm
consistency is key to 570 :lol: 8) :? :oops:

by zaffar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 am
Hi,

I completed manhattan SC book and start doing SC section from OG10. i am doing well. lets see will post my result tomorrow, of all what i have done today.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:09 am
What did you think about the Manhattan GMAT SC book?

by zaffar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 pm
hi,

what i think about Manhattan SC book hmmm . IMO this is a must for people like me who speaks english as second language.(and dont know how to speak or write it . whatever comes in mind throw it out of mouth, its then upto the next person whether he understands it or not ):roll: :wink: . it explains almost anykind and everykind of strategy that will come handy for SC in GMAT. from this i learnd or refreshed my subject-verb agreement concepts. it included "each and every usage", "the number of , a number of" . pronoun reference part was good.and the most i like in this book is modifiers and parallelism chapters . which i found most difficult in my tests. it helped me alot. if someone do OG10 SC as supplement with it it will be great. i am seeing much improvement in my SC part.

by zaffar » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:05 am
Hi,

I am sorry as i am not as active as i thought i would be. i went to my hometown on saturday and cameback today 2 hrs ago.

just before going i did take Kaplan cat I on saturday.

Kaplan I 10-Mar[/b]

...............Scaled Score........Correct...........Incorrect........Time
Quant:-..........29....................22....................15............No time - have to guess last 9-10 Q's
Verbal:-..........23....................17....................24............No time - have to guess last 3-4 Q's
570 62

Quant corect answers:-
PS 60% DS 50%

Question content correct
Arithmetic 70%
Algebra 50%
Geometry 50%
Word Problems 70%

Verbal corect answers:-
SC 70%
CR 20%
RC 40%

Quant Mistakes:- (15/37)
PS:- 7
DS:- 8
Note:- 4 conceptual, 3 ambigious statements and some careless mistakes.

I got 6 out of last 10 questions wrong as I have left with only 10 mins for lst 10 Q's and had to guess them. I found Kaplan test to be
harder than GP & PP & there were 3 ambigious statements as I cant understand it correctly, also when reviewing the test.

Verbal Mistakes:- (24/41)
SC:- 5
CR:- 9
RC:- 10

I need help in CR and RC . please give advice in this matter. for quant i think it just need practice which i planned to do this week. Please give suggestions for Verbal part .

I may not be here for next 3 days as i am going with my friends to hillsatation to enjoy snow 8) :) .

Suggestions/advices are welcome

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:40 am
It takes a lot of practice and experimentation to improve CR and RC. It was a struggle for me as well when I was studying, but I was able to improve by going through a LOT of problems and using the strategies listed in the Blog and Wiki.

Anything specific about CR and RC that's giving problems?

by zaffar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:00 pm
Hi,

I came back yesterday. I decide not to take GMAT CAT this week. will practice Quant from PR, OG10 & then OG11. with this will also look at manhattan SC alittle bit every night.and then take test next week.

as for CR & RC i have not look in depth at them so have no idea where i am weak at them. will look at them and post it.

Suggestions/advices are welcome