The 100 day Guide to 740

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

The 100 day Guide to 740

by archimittal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:31 am
I was actually confused whether I should but this debrief or not. Given that tens of hundreds of debriefs are already present on this forum,I thought that does it make any difference whether I put up another debrief? I thought maybe it doesn't; maybe this post will be just another one posted by another jubilant test taker who wants to flaunt her score. But then I thought of all the great posts which had inspired me here over the last couple of months and thought that if these people would have also thought that they are just adding to the clutter, would I have known the right way to approach the GMAT and would I be this inspired to crack the exam. Maybe not! And that's why I thought of contributing here-maybe a minor contribution it is-but still a contribution. Here goes my story.

I took the GMAT this saturday and got a 740(50,40) . The madness(read GMAT) which had engulfed my life over the past 4 months finally culminated in a good score and I'm happy and relieved that this phase of madness, sacrifices and toil is over though another more gruelling phase of applications is round the corner.
To start with, the GMAT had become more important than a mere test for me.I felt that this is something which can make or break my future. I had told myself that this is the last standardized test I will be ever taking and I want to ensure that I give it my best.
Although your GMAT score doesn't determine how successful you'll be in your life but it definitely underlines how successful can you be in such kind of battles in life because if you look at it the components you need to win the GMAT-hardwork, perservance and strategy-are things which make you winner in whatever you do in life.Secondly, it helps you in understanding yourself better. I started doing a lot of introspection about my thinking process which otherwise I would have hardly done. It made me maturer ; it made me better . It told me as a person where do you falter often and how I can learn from them. Maybe if I had not scored a 740, I'd have been cursing this exam as opposed to the paeans I am singing for it now after having scored fairly well. I don't know what is true but the GMAT certainly did help me.

I kicked off my preparation on May 6th ,as shows my diary. After having read numerous articles, I framed the strategy for me and I'm sharing my plan, which is essentially the edited version of the plan I had made for me. Hope that those who are about to start their preparation will find this plan helfpul.
Preparation timeline
May 2011 : Target-SC
Week 1: Started with a GMATPREP diagnostic test. Got a 660. Found verbal challenging.

Week 2 : Started with Sentence correction as do most of the people. Bought MGMAT SC Guide and also bought Aristotle SC Grail . As recommend by the members here, firstly I went through SC Grail.It really did help me quite a lot as it made things those tough words such as relative pronouns ,participles etc look easy . Got a good understanding of the concepts tested on SC on the GMAT. Did the 100 questions at the end which I found basic but yet useful to test the appplication of concepts

Week 3 : Moved on to Manhattan SC Guide. After going the SC Grail which is arranged in quite a systematic manner, I got a little turned off by Manhattan SC Guide as I found it a little unstructured and cluttered. However, it is really very useful for understanding the advanced level SC concepts . Also started with the SC questions in OG topicwise.

Week 4: Revised the SC Grail and Manhattan SC notes I prepared for myself and finished doing the SC questions in the OG topic wise.

So by the end of May, I thought that I had SC under my control and thought that now it is time to shift the focus to other areas

June 2011 : Target CR
Week 5 : Started with CR Bible. It's a huge book and may look daunting but the book helps you clear your concepts and you know start understanding the various types of questions tested.

Week 6: Continued with CR Bible. Also saw Thursdays with Ron videos on CR.

Week 7: Started with the CR questions in OG12. As suggested by Ron,did the questions topicwise so that I get a firm understanding of the various types of questions

Week8 : Finished with CR questions from OG12.Reviewed my error log.Learnt a lot from this review process.
July 2011: Target RC
Week 9 : Break - I had to go on a week long vacation with the family so this break came as a good refresher from the two month long study.

Week 10 :All refreshed from the break, I firstly revised all that I had learnt on SC and CR for one week and practiced more questions

Week 11 : Started with RCs. Firstly went through all the strategies for RCs available on forums. Went through Manhattan RC book but found it almost useless.I rather found the "Thursdays with Ron" videos better. Started with the OG passages and kept a target of 3-4 passages.Finished all OG passages by the first week

Week 12 : Started with Aristotle RC. The passages in Aristotle RC were more difficult than the OG passages, so these passages really helped me develop stamina and find out what strategy works for me and what doesn't.

To sum up by the end of July, I was almost through with my Verbal preparation.All this while, every week I had kept one day for revising whatever I had finished. For example, even when I was doing RCs, I would keep the last day of the week for revising SC and CR.

August 2011: Quant and Tests
Week 13 : Since I'm from India and Indians are supposedly the good at Quant and I wasn't much of an exception :-D However, my target was that I would target for a perfect score on the Quant section so that if anything goes wrong on Verbal, the quant score can compensate for it. Started with the OG questions and found them really very easy so jumped to the last 50 questions of OG and did them.
Week 14: Practiced more Quant questions from miscellaneous sources.
Week 15: Started with the tests. Took a GMATPREP as I was quite impatient to see how much progress I have seen. Scored a 730 on GMATPREP1.Analyzed the test in excruciating detail. Revised everythiing again
Week 16 : Started with MGMAT CATs. Got a 700 on the first CAT. Found their quant much different from the quant of GMATPREP. The questions were calculation intensive and I was struggling to finish the quant section on time.

September 2011: Practice tests and GMAT
Week 17 : Took 3 more MGMAT CATs. Got 750,730, 710. Was a little unsure of how much I'll land up with as the scores were inconsistent

Week 18: Took the remaining two MGMAT CATs and scored a 730 on both. Took another GMATPREP and got a 760 on this one. Was relieved that I got good scores on both the GMATPREPs and thought that the analysis of the previous CATs has really apid off

Sept 15 : Hadn't been writing the AWA so far . Ideally, one should write them while taking the tests but somehow I didn't feel the need to write in any of the test.So went through the AWA essays and sample template. Wrote two essays.

Sept 16: Revised everything for one last time
Last day: Relaxed fully. Watched a hindi movie "Mere brother ki dhulan"(My brother's bride). It was a great stress buster.:-D Helped me calm down myself and helped me see that there was more to life than the GMAT

Sept 18: G-day. The exam went rather smoothly and without any signifcant hiccups on Maths and Verbal. The questions and the screen almost made me feel that I am taking another GMATPREP. Saw a 740 and almost jumped up from my seat. Everyone else in the exam center could see that I had made a kill as was very evident from the palpable excitement all around me.

That's how went the story of my prep.I hope that my detailed study plan would be helpful to you. I think the biggest reason why I landed up with a good GMAT score is my consistency. As you can see from my planner,I had divided the entire preparation into phases and then into sub-phases. Each week I had my targets to complete and I'd ensure that come what may,I'd achieve those targets .I didn't set daily targets because from my earlier experiences,I knew that following the daily schedule exactly is next to impossible.Sometimes there's one topic I would take more time in and sometime some question would come up which would eat away almost the entire 2hours of my daily preparation time.
I'd like to really thank this forum and all the great members who have in their own way contributed in making this so useful.Special thanks to rishiraj, eternal_optimist(for his inspiring post) and bblast. God bless them! This would probably be one of the longest debriefs here but i hope that it'd have been useful.
Last edited by archimittal on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 am
Congratulations on a great score. Very well written debrief :) How I wish I can be at least half as consistent as you are :)
My journey towards the MBA: https://theroadlesstravellled.blocked/

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by shankar.ashwin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:23 am
Archimittal - COngrats... Nice to see your hardwork paid off..

Your journey has just begun and let there be more success your way :)

Good luck

by archimittal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 pm
@prodizy
Thanks. If you just write down the plan once on a piece of paper ,then half of the battle with consistency is won.

@shankar
Thank you. Yes, as goes that song of Carpenter "We've just begun"

by prodizy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm
@archimittal how I wish that applies to me as well. Written and rewritten the plans(one they are slipped) umpteen number of times :) But on a serious note, mine's kind of a daily schedule as I have less time. I Didn't plan early enough to have the luxury you had(in terms of time).

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 pm
I am elated that you took my name with the likes of Eternal optimist and Rishi Raj :). That's really a big compliment. Archi I am really sorry I could not help you with your requirement at the time you needed it, but you see I had messed up the test going too fast on the 30th of July so I wasn't in a state to pass on the stuff to you or anybody else.
Aplologies for that. :oops:

Anyways awesome score. You made us proud. Good luck with the apps.
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

by dev.gavande » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 pm
Hey
Congrats!!!
I am looking for SC grail and RC 99.... can anyone help me where do i find these books in india?
in mumbai maybe?

by prodizy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:26 am
@dev you can buy them online. They are PDFs.

https://www.aristotleprep.com/book/arist ... tion-grail

by archimittal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:56 am
bblast wrote:I am elated that you took my name with the likes of Eternal optimist and Rishi Raj :). That's really a big compliment. Archi I am really sorry I could not help you with your requirement at the time you needed it, but you see I had messed up the test going too fast on the 30th of July so I wasn't in a state to pass on the stuff to you or anybody else.

Hehe. I understand the situation you were in.On your recommendation only, then I got hold of that stuff and I think that it did help me.

Legendary Member

by bblast » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 am
archimittal wrote:
bblast wrote:I am elated that you took my name with the likes of Eternal optimist and Rishi Raj :). That's really a big compliment. Archi I am really sorry I could not help you with your requirement at the time you needed it, but you see I had messed up the test going too fast on the 30th of July so I wasn't in a state to pass on the stuff to you or anybody else.

Hehe. I understand the situation you were in.On your recommendation only, then I got hold of that stuff and I think that it did help me.
Ya, That stuff helps a lot of people. I am glad you took my tip. BTW, I am one of the rare cases where the result did not reflect on my scores !!!! :evil:
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50

My gmat journey :
My take on the GMAT RC :

by prodizy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:30 am
@archie @bblast which stuff are you guys talking about?

Legendary Member

by bblast » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:49 am
prodizy wrote:@archie @bblast which stuff are you guys talking about?
its a secret quant pill. we cant disclose here. :mrgreen:

GClub tests
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50

My gmat journey :
My take on the GMAT RC :

Followed by:3 members

by Black Knight » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Another 740 here. Congrats on the great score. Btw, did you actually manage to follow the schedule you have mentioned because most of the times I used to make schedules only to realize that I am not following it after a week. :-D But in the end ,everything turned out for the good, so no qualms :D

by archimittal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:45 pm
bblast wrote: its a secret quant pill. we cant disclose here. :mrgreen:

GClub tests
LOL!

@Black Knight
Yes, I did follow the study plan. I'm one of those people who is good at planning and execution -right from keeping my absolutely clean to being punctual where I go, my brain is wired that way . Thanks,btw! :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by runthegmat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:10 pm
Great,great post. I kicked off my prep two weeks back but because of a lack of schedule, it started veering offtrack.I think that I'm going to follow yours. Thanks