The 100 day Guide to 740

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:47 pm
Your persistence and organization paid off! Well done! I am eager to write soon, as it has been a long haul as it was for you. I eagerly anticipate my emotional reaction when I see the score I desire pop up on the screen. Thanks for your thorough debrief. I found it very useful and inspirational. Cheers, artistocrat

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:49 am
Hi Archi
Congrats for the great score. I am currently using Manhattan SC guide and finding the idioms chapter really tedious. Does one need to know the entire list and can u suggest any particular strategy for idioms. Also if one has already gone through the entire SC guide, would Aristotle prep be useful?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by archimittal » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 am
artistocrat wrote:Your persistence and organization paid off! Well done! I am eager to write soon, as it has been a long haul as it was for you.
Hope to see a debrief from you soon.
I eagerly anticipate my emotional reaction when I see the score I desire pop up on the screen. Thanks for your thorough debrief. I found it very useful and inspirational. Cheers, artistocrat
Hehe.You seem to be visualizing success quite a bit ;) It's good to keep yourself motivated

by winniethepooh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 pm
Congrats ArchMittal!
That's an awesome score!

Hey can you help me with some queries regarding the questions that can be asked during the real test?

I am listing some questions, please reply to them at your earliest convenience!

How many RC passages did you attempt on the real test and how many questions did each contain?

How many CR questions?(Any prominent types, if you remember)

How many SC questions?

In Quant roughly how many DS questions?(Any prominent topic of focus?)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by fareenj » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm
Congrats! Consistency is what I am lacking....I've been studying on and off since March but I'm having trouble studying every night, some days, I've gone three-five days without studying and then I started forgetting what I just learned...so I thought I'd make a schedule but I'm not very good at sticking to very detailed schedules so I've been jumping around from topic to topic, but maybe instead of moving from one topic to the next, I can use your schedule and just break it down my spending my time mastering one topic per week or until that topic is mastered.

Thanks for your post.

If anyone has suggestions for me, please reply! Thanks!

by archimittal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 pm
winniethepooh wrote:Congrats ArchMittal!
That's an awesome score!

Hey can you help me with some queries regarding the questions that can be asked during the real test?

I am listing some questions, please reply to them at your earliest convenience!

How many RC passages did you attempt on the real test and how many questions did each contain?

How many CR questions?(Any prominent types, if you remember)

How many SC questions?

In Quant roughly how many DS questions?(Any prominent topic of focus?)
Hi,
I don't remember the exact number of questions from each question type but I think that it was similar to what you'd already know.
SC-14-16
RC-4 passages with 3-4 questions each
CR-11-13 questions
For CR, I just got one bold faced question and the majority of questions, I remember, were strengthen/weaken type of questions.

by winniethepooh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:12 am
Hey, thanks for your reply.
I really appreciate it. I am somehow concerned about timing issue at the test.
I pray that I get as many SC questions as possible! :wink:

by magicalhat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:10 am
That's inspiring!

by archimittal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 am
winniethepooh wrote:Hey, thanks for your reply.
I really appreciate it. I am somehow concerned about timing issue at the test.
I pray that I get as many SC questions as possible! :wink:
Hehe. The GMAT is a standardized exam and most of the things are fixed so in all probability you'll get around 14-16 SC Questions but definitely not more than that. And remember these days the GMAT SCs can be quite a pain so don't underestimate their difficulty level :D

GMAT Score:640

by rperezgmat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:15 pm
Congratulations! Awesome job! Truly inspiring! I find a lot of hope in reading stories like yours. Thank you for posting!
GMAT Warrior

by archimittal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:50 pm
rperezgmat wrote:Congratulations! Awesome job! Truly inspiring! I find a lot of hope in reading stories like yours. Thank you for posting!
My pleasure.I hope that you're able to achieve your score. Wish you all the best!

by punewarrior » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 pm
I just loved your 100 day Guide. Very very systematic planning. I'm browsing through the forum and yet to start my preparation. I'm not gonna apply this year so not in a hurry to take the GMAT. I have a 6 month time frame to take the exam. Since yours was a 3 month study plan , what should I be doing in the other 3 months ?

by archimittal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:39 pm
punewarrior wrote:I just loved your 100 day Guide. Very very systematic planning. I'm browsing through the forum and yet to start my preparation. I'm not gonna apply this year so not in a hurry to take the GMAT. I have a 6 month time frame to take the exam. Since yours was a 3 month study plan , what should I be doing in the other 3 months ?
I wouldn't suggest that you study for more than 4 months .In fact,if you read around on the forum here, you'll see that most experts would suggest the same. I think that if you're planning to take your exam by say April and you think that you are weak in Verbal, you can start reading a couple of fiction and non-fiction books and start reading the recommended magazines here such as the economist etc.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by surya02 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:27 am
Thanks for the debrief. What is your profile like ?

by archimittal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:13 am
surya02 wrote:Thanks for the debrief. What is your profile like ?
I'm Indian(I guess every other person here on BTG is an Indian), female and have 3 years of work experience in the IT sector. Nothing stellar about the profile as such, so have to really make myself stand out in the applications