A tough fight with GMAT -710 ( Q 49,V 38)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

A tough fight with GMAT -710 ( Q 49,V 38)

by ankurmit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 am
Dear Friends,

I took GMAT yesterday and got a pleasant 710( Q49, V38) and after getting this score now I am having a sigh of relief. I am quite happy with this score as in last attempt I got a low score of 650. This time I was targeting 700+.

I really got a lot of help from BTG and I learnt a lot here.

Background:

A graduate telecom engineer with 6 years of experience in telecom project management & telecom operations.
1 year of entrepreneurial experience with WEB 2.0 Company engaged in online marketing/Social Media/PR. bluebitsystems

My Success Story:

I was quite disappointed after getting 570 in my first attempt. I was betrayed but I did not lost faith in myself. I decided to start again and attempted GMAT again in Jan'11. I scored 650 and felt relaxed and it helped me lot to regain my lost confidence. No doubt 650 was a decent score but I was not so happy and decided to break 700 level. Tried hard for this score and finally achieved it :)

D-day:

When I reached exam centre I found myself alone in the batch I applied for. The instructors there were quite cooperative and assigned me a separate room so that I don't get disturbed with the people coming in and out of the room. There was pin drop silence in the room and it helped me a lot to concentrate.With trembling hands I started AWA and soon got involved into it. Completed AWA section and enjoyed 8 min of break. :)

After praying to the almighty I started with the quant section in which I was quite confident. Soon I started getting tough questions and I lost almost 8 minutes in one quant question and even then was not able to solve it. Suddenly I realized that I was behind schedule but I did not loose courage. At last I managed to cover time and felt relaxed.

Now I had to face the devil and I was not at all confident about RC Part. I attempted SC questions and CR questions and then got a long passage but attempted it well in time. One after another I got 3 bold face type CR .I was not confident about any one of them and felt that i will get a poor score. Anyway i attempted test and with trembling hands clicked the score button. I screamed with joy when I got 710 score.

Books Used:

Books: OG 12 & Math and Verbal Workbooks
Manhattan GMAT all books (Really liked Number Properties, Word Problems, Sentence Correction) PowerScore CR Bible
Veritas Prep CR.
e-GMAT SC course(really helped me lot).
BTG questions: I loved the math questions, especially the high level one.

Practice tests:

I just practiced Manhattan and GMAT prep tests.

My Gratitude:

I would like to thank Ron Purenwal whose 800 score always inspired me :), Stancy, a fabulous teacher
and eGMAT team: Rajat and Payal.
I would also like to thank Rahul and GMATGuruNY as many of their awesome explanations on the Quant section helped me a lot.

I am an active participant on BTG from last 1.6 yrs and have found a lot of good friends here who always helped me. I would like to thank Praveen, Atul mangal, Prachi, Pushkal, Pradeep, Suman and Nishant for inspiring me and helping me. Looking forward a life long friendship with all of you guys.

Happy GMATing !! :)

Cheers!!
Last edited by ankurmit on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members

by bblast » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:30 am
you're around since old times I remember, congrats u did it !!!

Ur story truly shows that persistence finally pays off. Awesome.
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 am
Wow..!! You finally did it :-)
Your determination and hard-work really paid off..I am so happy for you. Enjoy your moment..Congrats !!!!!
[PMed you]
I am on a break !!

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:10 am
Hard work truly paid off rich dividends!! You kept your nerve too Great job!!

One thing I observe about your post and which I would like to point out to all readers... never ever let one question or one section play upon later questions or sections... Many of us unlike Ankur would fret after losing good 8 minutes or feel bad after not being able to crack a section, believe me it would never help you get a good score!

And finally thanks for your kind words... Its humbling...
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by voodoo_child » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Congratulations!!!! can you please post your practice test scores ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 pm
Congratulations Ankur! & thanks for your kind words.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 pm
Congrats on your great score!

Legendary Member

by ankurmit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:45 pm
voodoo_child wrote:Congratulations!!!! can you please post your practice test scores ?
Thanks for your wishes.

My MOCK test scores were as:

GMAT PREP ( 2 daye before exam) - 690
MGMAT Test( 3 days before exam) - 670
GMAT PREP ( 10 days before exam)- 600. I felt bad after getting this poor score and decided to shift Test date but later decided to stick to it.

I was confident that i will make it BIG on D-DAy and at last I did.
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member

by ankurmit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:55 pm
arora007 wrote:Hard work truly paid off rich dividends!! You kept your nerve too Great job!!

One thing I observe about your post and which I would like to point out to all readers... never ever let one question or one section play upon later questions or sections... Many of us unlike Ankur would fret after losing good 8 minutes or feel bad after not being able to crack a section, believe me it would never help you get a good score!

And finally thanks for your kind words... Its humbling...
You are right Nishant.I later realized my mistake when i felt that i am running short of time.Sometimes GMAT provides us such type of quistions and we should not stick to them.
Actually I was targeting a big score and thought that i will tick each and every answer right.This was not a right approach to achieve high score.
Take care guys!!
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:58 am
Congratulations Ankur .. !! :)
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:41 am
Hi Ankur,

Thanks for those kind words...!!!
Its the first time i'm posting in success stories thread. Its really good to see that you scored good...congratulations for that. It was always good to interact with you in SC and CR sections, and now my exam date, as u can see is closing in. I must say i get bit of relief after watching your scores in GMAT prep and Manhattan, to be true i was bit frustrated from past few days as i scored only 720 and 730 in GMAT-prep 1 and 2, and i realize i may not score 700+, plus having severe fever and tonsils from past 20 days. Anyways, i will be in touch with you brother after 22nd of june, probably we can share some information regarding application processes if i get a good score as yours.

One more thing i want to ask here: Though i'm confident in maths but can u please tell something about the quant section...is it unusually tough??? did u get too many questions of probability???

second regarding RC passage...how many passages u get 3 or 4???

Again, congratulations for this great score and best of luck for getting admission in a descent school.

Be in touch...bbyee
Last edited by atulmangal on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members

by bblast » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 am
Atul, you have been good on most of the part on BTG. take the gmat preps again a couple of times and aim high. I am sure u will score 720+.

Btw I dont think its possible to see 3 RC passages. In all probability u will see 3 short passages and 1 long. However this breakup may change. Total 13-14 RC questions. I have given the GMAT once and the GMAT prep multiple times. Have always seen 17 SC 13 RC and 11 CR(Did not count this on the GMAT). :wink:
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:47 am
bblast wrote:Atul, you have been good on most of the part on BTG. take the gmat preps again a couple of times and aim high. I am sure u will score 720+.

Btw I dont think its possible to see 3 RC passages. In all probability u will see 3 short passages and 1 long. However this breakup may change. Total 13-14 RC questions. I have given the GMAT once and the GMAT prep multiple times. Have always seen 17 SC 13 RC and 11 CR(Did not count this on the GMAT). :wink:
Thank you so much for those kind words man...really need some confidence and your words really acted like confidence booster pill...actually you are right about those RC passages but i guess in CAT exam on princeton i guess not sure, i found 3 RC passages so just thought may be some guys get only 3 passages on actual GMAT plus need to update my info as some people suggested that structure of GMAT has changed a bit.

Thanks again for sharing the useful information and kind words.

Best of luck...take care

Legendary Member

by ankurmit » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 am
atulmangal wrote:Hi Ankur,

Thanks for those kind words...!!!
Its the first time i'm posting in success stories thread. Its really good to see that you scored good...congratulations for that. It was always good to interact with you in SC and CR sections, and now my exam date, as u can see is closing in. I must say i get bit of relief after watching your scores in GMAT prep and Manhattan, to be true i was bit frustrated from past few days as i scored only 720 and 730 in GMAT-prep 1 and 2, and i realize i may not score 700+, plus having severe fever and tonsils from past 20 days. Anyways, i will be in touch with you brother after 22nd of june, probably we can share some information regarding application processes if i get a good score as yours.

One more thing i want to ask here: Though i'm confident in maths but can u please tell something about the quant section...is it unusually tough??? did u get too many questions of probability???

second regarding RC passage...how many passages u get 3 or 4???

Again, congratulations for this great score and best of luck for getting admission in a descent school.

Be in touch...bbyee
Hi Atul,

Thanks for your wishes dear.As far as I think Quant is not so tough,specially for Indians.Most of us are quite good in maths :)

Feel proud to be an Indian.

As far as probability is concerned i never tried that,not even a single question and that was my good luck that in all of my attempts I never got probability question :)So don't worry and have some basic knowledge of probability.

Most of Indians are poor at RC and thats true because we don't practice them.We don't find them at BTG site also.So take care of this part.I failed in first attempt because of RC only.Try it and see it will pay off.

i have felt that you are quite good and trying hard.You will definitely get good score.All the best and be in touch.I would be glad to hear your success story soon on BTG.
Cheers !!
--------
Ankur mittal

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by magicalhat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 am
congrats! amazing story.