Usage of ing..Please help..a week from the G-day

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E enormously, because a single tree, dependent on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

As per my knowledge, ing form suffixing a comma modifies the entire clause. But in C, the OA, "depending" clearly modifies tree much to enhance my ever lasting problems with "comma ing forms"

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:58 am
abidshariff wrote:The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
could produce is not required, be in the present tense, also could shows possibility, here we are talking of ability.
B enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce

dependant is the wrong word, its correct to say I am dependant on my dad. But incorrect to say- Dependant on how much money I have I will either go clubbing or pubbing.
Correct - Depending on how much money I have I will either go clubbing or pubbing.

C enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce

D enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E enormously, because a single tree, dependent on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce
prefer and over as well as (not a make or break rule), plus the use of as well as is completely messed here, its generally used in a long phrase joining more than 2 elements.

ing form does not necessarily modify the entire clause.
look at this sentence :

My son has plenty of stuff, including a napkin and a handgun.
there are still other errors in the other options if u wanna dig deeper and invest more time.
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Sanjay2706 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 am