The Retake: Osirus' blog

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by ajith » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 am
osirus0830 wrote:I'm feeling good about my prep. Best I've ever felt. I should be ready in about six weeks or so. A new post on reading comprehension coming soon.
Good to see you back Osirus! I see signs of a thread hijacking down here - Just kidding, no offense!
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:20 am
ajith wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:I'm feeling good about my prep. Best I've ever felt. I should be ready in about six weeks or so. A new post on reading comprehension coming soon.
Good to see you back Osirus! I see signs of a thread hijacking down here - Just kidding, no offense!
Yeah, I saw that too. Since we have new grammar experts, I am going to focus on other things to post about, and let our two new grammarians take over the grammar subjects...lol
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 am
Reading Comprehension

Reading Comprehension is the verbal topic that gave me the most trouble on my GMAT exam, but I believe I have finally figured out how to approach it (thanks to Veritas Prep).

When you are reading the passages, make sure that you read each passage for the scope, tone, organization, and primary purpose of the passage. If you do this, you should be able to answer all of the general questions without going back and re-reading the passage. For every other question type, regardless of if you think you remember the correct answer it is very important to go back and find 1 or 2 sentences that justify your answer choice. If you cannot do this, look for a better answer. If you are like me, this may be time consuming to answer all of the reading comprehension passages in a timely manner. What is the solution? I suppose you could attempt to go through the passages quicker, but I think it may be a better option to save time with the other verbal questions. I now only give myself a minute for each SC question. This allows me to spend 10 minutes on each RC passage.

The most important thing with RC is to have a set routine. My routine is to read the passage, and after I read it I take a moment to answer in my head what the scope and primary purpose of the passage is. Next, I move on to the first question. With each question, before looking at the answer choices, I categorize the question. This will tell me how to approach the question. For instance, if the question is an inference question, I know that I will have to go back and find that part of the passage that the question stem is testing and I need to read the entire paragraph for context, rather than a couple of sentences.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 am
Critical Reasoning: Assumption Questions (per request)

The key to answering assumption questions correctly is to properly identify the conclusion of the argument and then finding the answering choice that is essential for that conclusion to be valid. There are a few characteristics of correct answers with assumption questions.

1) The answer choice will introduce new information
2) The answer choice, when negated, will weaken the conclusion
3) The answer choice will strengthen the argument (with supporter assumptions)
4) The answer choice will refute a potential weakness of the argument (with defender assumptions)

The key thing to ask yourself when you are attempting to answer an assumption question is this: Is this answer choice absolutely necessary in order for the conclusion to be valid? If the answer is no, look for a better answer.

Characteristics of incorrect answers with assumption questions:

1) The answer choice will strengthen the conclusion but is not essential for the argue to be valid.
2) The answer choice will strengthen something that is similar to the conclusion but is not the exact conclusion.
3) The answer choice will weaken the conclusion (the opposite answer)
4) The answer choice will tell you something that is already stated as fact in the stimulus.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 am
Hey Osirus,

I don't know if you have seen this but it might be interesting.

All the best,
Jas
Attachments
GIN%27s%20RC%20technique.doc
(55.5 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:38 am
JasLamba wrote:Hey Osirus,

I don't know if you have seen this but it might be interesting.

All the best,
Jas
Thanks, I appreciate you sharing this.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by sreak1089 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:55 am
WOW !! Exactly the kind of advice that I got from my GMAT class tooo :)
osirus0830 wrote:Reading Comprehension

Reading Comprehension is the verbal topic that gave me the most trouble on my GMAT exam, but I believe I have finally figured out how to approach it (thanks to Veritas Prep).

When you are reading the passages, make sure that you read each passage for the scope, tone, organization, and primary purpose of the passage. If you do this, you should be able to answer all of the general questions without going back and re-reading the passage. For every other question type, regardless of if you think you remember the correct answer it is very important to go back and find 1 or 2 sentences that justify your answer choice. If you cannot do this, look for a better answer. If you are like me, this may be time consuming to answer all of the reading comprehension passages in a timely manner. What is the solution? I suppose you could attempt to go through the passages quicker, but I think it may be a better option to save time with the other verbal questions. I now only give myself a minute for each SC question. This allows me to spend 10 minutes on each RC passage.

The most important thing with RC is to have a set routine. My routine is to read the passage, and after I read it I take a moment to answer in my head what the scope and primary purpose of the passage is. Next, I move on to the first question. With each question, before looking at the answer choices, I categorize the question. This will tell me how to approach the question. For instance, if the question is an inference question, I know that I will have to go back and find that part of the passage that the question stem is testing and I need to read the entire paragraph for context, rather than a couple of sentences.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:06 am
Nice Sreak, It looks like that class is really good for you. GMAT 3.0 will be your last attempt and you will kill it.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jerryragland » Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm
osirus0830, nice effort. Identifying concepts you are weak is one thing but finding resources to study is the next problem. How do you deal with the later? I have MGMAT SC guide and I have studied the guide (minus the advanced portion) I gained some knowledge but nothing close for the real exam. Please advise. By the way, I am reading PowerScore CR bible now.

Good luck !!!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:37 pm
jerryragland I LOVE the powerscore CR bible... and the SC bible... the SC bible attacks SC a bit differently than MGMAT... i think they are equally helpful but because of the different attack method you may understand something better from PS SC Bible
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jerryragland » Thu May 06, 2010 1:47 pm
money9111, good luck with your exam!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by geokid » Thu May 06, 2010 3:43 pm
Money911...where did you buy the Powerscore Bible? I could'nt find it anywhere in stores. I guess I'd have to order online and wait.

Good luck with your exam!!

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm
jerryragland wrote:osirus0830, nice effort. Identifying concepts you are weak is one thing but finding resources to study is the next problem. How do you deal with the later? I have MGMAT SC guide and I have studied the guide (minus the advanced portion) I gained some knowledge but nothing close for the real exam. Please advise. By the way, I am reading PowerScore CR bible now.

Good luck !!!!!
My main suggestion is to not limit yourself to GMAT specific resources. Search online for specific grammar topics that you are weak at. Type in "the owl Purdue" in google. That is a great site for grammar topics.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm
geokid wrote:Money911...where did you buy the Powerscore Bible? I could'nt find it anywhere in stores. I guess I'd have to order online and wait.

Good luck with your exam!!
Order it from amazon.com

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by geokid » Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 pm
doing it now! thanks Osirus.