The Retake: Osirus' blog

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:18 pm
Today's lesson is actually Reading Comprehension (I think I finally figured it out)

The most important thing with RC is to figure out how you will approach reading the passages. I believe it is best to only completely read the first paragraph during your initial reading. The reason for this is that when answering the questions you have to "justify" an answer choice with a sentence from the passage. Since you will have to reread the passage to find a sentence or two to justify an answer choice, it is a waste of time to read the entire passage the first time.

Reading the first paragraph will be good if you get a main point question first. You will have a pretty good idea what the answer is, and should be able to answer this question right away. After you develop your reading style, attempt to label each question type before you attempt to answer it. For example, if you see a question type label it "must be true", "assumption", "weaken", etc. This will help you differentiate between answers that may be true, but don't necessarily answer the question from answers that answer the specific question.

Another thing that I'm finding helpful is when you are down to two answers, attempt to classify the wrong answer in one of the specific wrong answer categories before selecting an answer. For example, if you are choosing between two choices, attempt to be able to label one the opposite answer, or the shell game answer before you select an answer.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:42 pm
I think this one can prove helpful .I really need to work on my RC . could you provide some more pointers on this section .
I dint get what you were tryna say in the highlighted part. what does that mean?

I would also request you to please throw some more light on modifiers and modifiers. There are just way too many rules in MGMAT and i get too confused. :(

Thanks for this RC post :)
osirus0830 wrote:Today's lesson is actually Reading Comprehension (I think I finally figured it out)

The most important thing with RC is to figure out how you will approach reading the passages. I believe it is best to only completely read the first paragraph during your initial reading. The reason for this is that when answering the questions you have to "justify" an answer choice with a sentence from the passage. Since you will have to reread the passage to find a sentence or two to justify an answer choice, it is a waste of time to read the entire passage the first time.

Reading the first paragraph will be good if you get a main point question first. You will have a pretty good idea what the answer is, and should be able to answer this question right away. After you develop your reading style, attempt to label each question type before you attempt to answer it. For example, if you see a question type label it "must be true", "assumption", "weaken", etc. This will help you differentiate between answers that may be true, but don't necessarily answer the question from answers that answer the specific question.

Another thing that I'm finding helpful is when you are down to two answers, attempt to classify the wrong answer in one of the specific wrong answer categories before selecting an answer. For example, if you are choosing between two choices, attempt to be able to label one the opposite answer, or the shell game answer before you select an answer.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:43 am
gmatshot wrote:Good job Osirus!! Keep doing!! We all benefit from this exercise....

Please try this..This is my own sentence...Please break it up, identify the mistakes if any , and rewrite it correctly. (it refers to the sentence)

I appreciate your responses , if you had had similar situation, please share with me how you overcame with your situation.
I - subject of the sentence

appreciate - main verb of the clause

your- possessive pronoun

responses - object of the sentence

if- subordinator, introducing a dependent clause

you- pronoun

had had - past perfect

similar - adjective modifying situation

situation - noun

please - not sure

share - main verb

with- preposition, introduces prepositional phrase

"with me how you overcame" - prep phrase acting as a adverbial modifier modifying share

with- incorrect here

your- possessive pronoun

situation- object

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 am
What I mean when I say label each question. I used the powerscore critical reasoning bible. In that guide, you will find they label each critical reasoning question types. The major question types are: Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, Must be true, Main point, Resolve the Paradox, Method of Reasoning, Parallel Reasoning, and Causal Reasoning. Many of the Reading Comp questions will ask questions that fall into these categories. Before even attempting to answer the question, identify the type of question you are presented with and attempt to remember the characteristics of that question type and then proceed to answer the question. I'll post more on RC later today.
bhumika.k.shah wrote:I think this one can prove helpful .I really need to work on my RC . could you provide some more pointers on this section .
I dint get what you were tryna say in the highlighted part. what does that mean?

I would also request you to please throw some more light on modifiers and modifiers. There are just way too many rules in MGMAT and i get too confused. :(

Thanks for this RC post :)
osirus0830 wrote:Today's lesson is actually Reading Comprehension (I think I finally figured it out)

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 am
Osirus's grammar lesson for the day: Appositives

An appositive is a modifier that modifies a noun. An appositive can be essential or non essential depending on the sentence. An example of an essential appositive is the following:

"The hall of fame pitcher Cy Young is now best known for the baseball award that bears his name"

In this sentence the appositive is "Cy Young", but it is essential because without it we would not know who the hall of fame pitcher is referring to. The following sentence will illustrate an appositive that is non-essential.

Cy Young, the hall of fame pitcher, is now best known for the baseball award that bears his name.

It is important to note, when an appositive is non-essential look for the main verb of the clause to immediately follow the comma. If it doesn't, odds are the sentence is incorrect.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:05 pm
Osirus's Grammar lesson for the day: Placeholder "It"

Placeholder it is used when there is no subject in a sentence. If you want to describe a general state such as "It is cold today." You use placeholder It. When "it" is used in these situations do not attempt to find an antecedent for it. The GMAT will attempt to trick you by placing the placeholder it later in the sentence. For example, a sentence may say "I will stay inside today and study since it is raining." In this sentence "it" is being used as a placeholder since no person or thing can rain so to speak.

Helpful hints:

To determine whether an it is being used as a placeholder it find the verb and ask "what or who" is doing the verb. For example, in the example, "It is raining today, so I will study for the GMAT all day. In this sentence, "who is raining", since it is clear that a person or thing can't rain, you can conclude that the placeholder it is being used.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 pm
Thanks Osirus!

As said earlier, continue explaining tricks and traps in modifiers and parallelism

U r doing a great job :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 pm
To determine whether an it is being used as a placeholder it find the verb and ask "what or who" is doing the verb. For example, in the example, "It is raining today, so I will study for the GMAT all day. In this sentence, "who is raining", since it is clear that a person or thing can't rain, you can conclude that the placeholder it is being used.

I just asked this question in the verbal section... then saw that you added it today... thanks because it definitely clears up my question
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:23 am
I'm glad to know that people are actually reading this. I wasn't sure....lol. Is the general consensus that I should post more on modifiers?

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 pm
i dunno about everyone else but I need pronoun practice

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm
money9111 wrote:i dunno about everyone else but I need pronoun practice
I will make a post on pronouns on Monday. I probably won't post much, if at all, until Monday. My verbal class begins tomorrow. I'm kind of excited...lol

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:37 am
osirus0830 wrote:
money9111 wrote:i dunno about everyone else but I need pronoun practice
I will make a post on pronouns on Monday. I probably won't post much, if at all, until Monday. My verbal class begins tomorrow. I'm kind of excited...lol
The first class was great. I learned so much. I can't wait to see what today has in store. I will write the full review sometime next week.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:00 pm
osirus0830 i understand your excitement 100%! it's a funny thing that we're excited to take classes and re-learn things hahaa... i didn't know your class started so soon though! can't wait for the update sir!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by prabir2001 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm
osirus0830 , please continue Modifiers when you get a chance. I just started with my 2nd attempt prep and want to keep no stone unturned.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:14 pm
I will continue posting on modifiers and pronouns. The Veritas class was amazing. I am a officially a convert. Manhattan has nothing on Veritas. There verbal is the best in the industry, and its really not even close. If you guys can find someone to sell you the guides, you will be better off for having them.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep