Profile Evaluation - ISB Hyderabad

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chinmay5692 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:53 am
Hello Team,
I will be completing my Chartered Accountancy in November '16. I have finished 3 years of articlship with Deloitte Haskins and Sells in Statutory Audit and compliance. I have been a part of the audit team of Major Indian companies (TCS, American Tower Corporation, NGOs, etc.( My academic scores are as below:

10th - 88%
12th - 79%
B.com - 82%

I received the 'Principal's Special Award' along with a gold medal in the last year of college (Given only to 25 students) for outstanding Contribution to the College.

Leadership skills: I headed the Creative Department as in India's first National inter-collegiate Financial Festival called 'Moneta' organised by R.A. Podar College, Mumbai.
Secretary of the English Literary Circle at my college for B.com Students.

I have also been an active Guitarist in my college Band, and also an active participant in the Women's Development Cell

I plan to write GMAT in Jan 2017 and apply for the early entry option at ISB.
Request you to evaluate my profile and give some inputs to build it further.

by ishitamukh91 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:18 am
Hi,

Following are my academic and professional qualifications:-

1)10th-89.8%
2)12th-92.5%
3)B.Tech graduation- 85%+(9.04 CGPA)

Currently working as a Techno-Functional Consultant at Pricewaterhouse Coopers in the ERP Domain,completed 23 months.Worked with both domestic and international clients,in a total of 7 projects,some of the international clients being PwC Exordia,PwC Canada,PwC UK and Lucy(UAE).

Apart from this,I have two professional certifications of Microsoft in the ERP Domain.

My extracurricular activities:-

1)Certified classical dancer(Kathak).
2)Painter/Sketcher.
3)One of the organizers of the college fest.
4)Food blogger/food critic(Having my own blog).
5)Stream topper in college.

Please evaluate my profile and suggest a good score for ISB.

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14 pm
chinmay5692 wrote:Hello Team,
I will be completing my Chartered Accountancy in November '16. I have finished 3 years of articlship with Deloitte Haskins and Sells in Statutory Audit and compliance. I have been a part of the audit team of Major Indian companies (TCS, American Tower Corporation, NGOs, etc.( My academic scores are as below:

10th - 88%
12th - 79%
B.com - 82%

I received the 'Principal's Special Award' along with a gold medal in the last year of college (Given only to 25 students) for outstanding Contribution to the College.

Leadership skills: I headed the Creative Department as in India's first National inter-collegiate Financial Festival called 'Moneta' organised by R.A. Podar College, Mumbai.
Secretary of the English Literary Circle at my college for B.com Students.

I have also been an active Guitarist in my college Band, and also an active participant in the Women's Development Cell

I plan to write GMAT in Jan 2017 and apply for the early entry option at ISB.
Request you to evaluate my profile and give some inputs to build it further.
Hi Chinmay

Broadly seems good in terms of academics and professional experience so far. ISB does not consider articleship as work experience, so you are right in looking to apply through the EEO. ECA and overall profile seem good and well set for ISB.

The EEO is pretty competitive in terms of the GMAT (even more so than the regular PGP route), so aim for 700+ on your GMAT. That, more than anything else, is what you should focus on right now.

Also have a look at this: MBA for Chartered Accounts

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:21 pm
ishitamukh91 wrote:Hi,

1)10th-89.8%
2)12th-92.5%

Currently working as a Techno-Functional Consultant at Pricewaterhouse Coopers in the ERP Domain,completed 23 months.Worked with both domestic and international clients,in a total of 7 projects,some of the international clients being PwC Exordia,PwC Canada,PwC UK and Lucy(UAE).

Apart from this,I have two professional certifications of Microsoft in the ERP Domain.

2)Painter/Sketcher.

Hi Ishita

- Aim for a 700+ on the GMAT, though even a 680+ may be good enough. However, as a candidate with an IT background, you scoring above 700 will help your case case. Further, a 700+ GMAT would be very helpful in applying to other schools. ECA and Acads are quite strong so that front is good.
- Try and expand your school selection a bit as well.

Overall, if you can get the score, you should be well set for ISB.

by ishitamukh91 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:43 pm
GyanOne wrote:
ishitamukh91 wrote:Hi,

1)10th-89.8%
2)12th-92.5%

2)Painter/Sketcher.

Hi Ishita

- Aim for a 700+ on the GMAT, though even a 680+ may be good enough. However, as a candidate with an IT background, you scoring above 700 will help your case case. Further, a 700+ GMAT would be very helpful in applying to other schools. ECA and Acads are quite strong so that front is good.
- Try and expand your school selection a bit as well.

Overall, if you can get the score, you should be well set for ISB.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Could you please suggest more schools as well??
Also,will international work experience help me in this case?

by TheOptimist » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:39 pm
Hi Team!

Please evaluate my profile & provide your valuable inputs. I wish to apply to ISB in Round 1. My main query is, should I retake the GMAT...?

Just took the GMAT and scored a 680 (Q48/V35).

Acads & work-ex details are as below:

Class 10: 91%
Class 12: 91%
Electronics Engg (VJTI): 9.3/10

Work-ex: 2 years & 9 months by Apr'17
Profile: Consulting in steel industry

Part of a fast-track program at a leading steel company in India. Have worked at the plant as well as the corporate office. Arrived at cost reduction measures by effectively managing inventories while at the plant and partook in devising a Go-To-Market strategy to enter a new market segment while at the corporate office.

Would it be advisable to retake the GMAT and then apply to ISB in R1 or apply right away...

Please share your insights. Thanking you in advance!

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:38 pm
TheOptimist wrote:Hi Team!

Please evaluate my profile & provide your valuable inputs. I wish to apply to ISB in Round 1. My main query is, should I retake the GMAT...?

Just took the GMAT and scored a 680 (Q48/V35).

Class 10: 91%
Class 12: 91%
Electronics Engg (VJTI): 9.3/10

Work-ex: 2 years & 9 months by Apr'17
Profile: Consulting in steel industry

Part of a fast-track program at a leading steel company in India. Have worked at the plant as well as the corporate office. Arrived at cost reduction measures by effectively managing inventories while at the plant and partook in devising a Go-To-Market strategy to enter a new market segment while at the corporate office.

Would it be advisable to retake the GMAT and then apply to ISB in R1 or apply right away...

Please share your insights. Thanking you in advance!
Hi TheOptimist

- Your profile, acads, and work experience are all really good. The magnitude of work experience is somewhat on the lower side but it should not be an issue at all.
- Your GMAT score, at 680, is at less than absolute safe territory. While we have had clients getting in with less than that (see here and here ), you should ideally try and raise the score by about 20 points. That will put you in a safer zone in terms of the GMAT and complement the rest of your profile better.
- If you can aim for R1, do so. If not, and you feel you can submit a stronger application in R2, that takes precedence.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more questions as needed.

by gitakumari90 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:25 am
Hi Team,

Could you please evaluate my profile. I am planning to apply to ISB in Round 1.

26 year old, Indian female.

Class 10: 93%
Class 12: 95%
Undergradaution : Chemical Engineering (IIT Kharagpur) 9.52/10

Work Experience:~3.7 years

I have worked in a mining industry with Rio Tinto (Australia's one of the largest mining company) based at perth, Australia. Started as a Graduate chemical engineer and then got promoted to process engineer role.I have worked in perth based office role at initial stage and then worked as process engineer on mine site in a FIFO (fly in fly out) role. Worked as sole process engineer on shift. My work involved working on plant performance improvement projects in collaboration with Plant operators and plant supervisors.

My GMAT score is 690 (Q49/V34). Could you please advise me if I should take the GMAT exam again to increase my score and apply in R2 instead of R1?

Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:34 members

by AskgoISB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:33 am
gitakumari90 wrote:Hi Team,

I have worked in a mining industry with Rio Tinto (Australia's one of the largest mining company) based at perth, Australia. Started as a Graduate chemical engineer and then got promoted to process engineer role.I have worked in perth based office role at initial stage and then worked as process engineer on mine site in a FIFO (fly in fly out) role. Worked as sole process engineer on shift. My work involved working on plant performance improvement projects in collaboration with Plant operators and plant supervisors.

My GMAT score is 690 (Q49/V34). Could you please advise me if I should take the GMAT exam again to increase my score and apply in R2 instead of R1?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Gita,

Your GMAT score is average but all other aspects of your candidature are rock solid. IIT brand and 9.5 GPA, mining industry experience ( for a female applicant) and international experience make the profile strong.

While you can retake GMAT but we dont think that 690 would be a deterrent.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

goISB Team
Cheers,
goISB team
https://www.goISB.com
Ph: +91 9871354580
Email:[email protected]
Check goISB's Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) - ISB admit or money back*
https://www.goisb.com/services/gap/

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:49 am
gitakumari90 wrote:Hi Team,

Thanks in advance!
Hi Gita

You look well set from all perspectives. Focus on building a strong application and you should do well. All the best!

by crazyfundu » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:24 am
Hello Team,

Please evaluate the profile below for isb.

10th(CBSE)- 80%
12th(CBSE) - 73%
BTech(CSE) - 70%

GRE: 314(Q161-79 percentile, V153 - 60th percentile, AWA3.5 - 49th percentile), planning to appear again in October last targeting 325+.

ECA:
1. Volunteer of a non-profit startup ecosystem community team for almost 2 years now. Have impacted 5000 lives via various initiatives like:
(a) Collaborating with colleges to connect students with startups for internship.
(b) High quality speed dating hiring events for startups and startup-ready candidates.
(c) Part of national team which conducts a themed event every month for early stage startups, entrepreneurs, product showcasing, networking etc.
Activities involved range from collaboration across other eco-system enablers, social media marketing strategies to operations.
3. Failed in a restaurant business setup with 2 more co-founders in 2014-15.
2. Lead a team of 12 people to collect funds from 5 colleges for Bihar Flood Relief victims. Donated almost 1.5L to PM Relief fund in year 2009.
3. Organizing committee member for Cultural and Tech fests.
4. Won Sketching/Drawing competitions at college and school levels.

Work Ex - 6+ years in IT as a Software Developer in 3 companies.

Company 1: Worked in Banking domain. It was a US based mid-level startup. Have worked in a high security application dealing with an individual's banking data. Have automated over 100+ bots to collect the data from various banking sources over the period of 2 years.

Company 2: Payment Domain. Worked for almost 3 years.
a) It is one of the leading payment devices/POS device makers. Have designed and implemented the products used by major petroleum companies like - BP, ExxonMobil. Developed high usage features to be used by millions of petrol stations in US/Europe daily.
b) Implemented the proper unit tests in the legacy application, which decreased the bug rate more than 70%.

Company 3: Sourcing and Procurement Domain.
Working in team to implement critical applications/features. Worked on a feature with MSFT as design partner. Worked closely on the design of a Direct Material Sourcing product, which was first of a kind in the world. Interactions with Indian and US product managers on d2d basis.

Long term goal is to change the world via entrepreneurship. India needs millions jobs for upcoming young generation which none of the industries can provide but large scale entrepreneurship . This can also fill the gaps for all the inefficiencies in the system. Not only startup on my own but to encourage a large number of educated population for the same.

by Prazna88 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:04 am
Hey guys

Could someone here evaluate my profile for ISB?

10th: 85%
12th: 90%
UG: 7.49 (CGPA) from NIT Warangal
GRE: 309 (Q:161, V:148)

Will have a total work Experience of 7 years by March 2017 at BT.

Apart from this, I have certifications and work ex from Oracle and BT. pretty solid extra curricular achievements - have won several debates/quizzes and the like in college.

Thanks in advance!

by rocker2112 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:32 am
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB.I am planning to apply for 2017 - 2018 session.

Mining Engineer from NITK Surathkal.

Founder of a start up backed by some high profile investors.Recognised by NASSCOM as a high potential start up in 2015.Start up is currently not in great shape because of prevailing market situation.Looking for a buyer but in worst case might need to shut it down.

Previous work ex :

Worked as retail consultant for 2 years ( Promoted once )

Worked as regional sales head for 15 months before perusing my start up full time.

Academics :

GMAT - 700 - Q 49, V 37 ( Does it make sense for me to retake it.I think I can increase my score by 20-30 points but not more )

CGPA - 7.45
12th - 73
10th - 70 ( I think these 3 are my weak points.How much do you think this will affect my chances and is there anything I can do to counter it )

Extracurricular :

State level Tennis player

Secretary of the cultural fest of my collage ( It is one of the biggest college fests in the country )

I was Rotaract coordinator for 3 yrs.Was responsible for organising activities like orphanage visits, old age home visits, blood donation camps, campus cleaning activities, Weekend teaching classes for underprivileged students etc.

Future goals : I am an out an out start up guy and would like to remain associated with start ups after my MBA.Would either like to do another start up or work for some VC firm.

Please let me know in case I can add anything for better evaluation.

Many Thanks.

by Priya SDre » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:37 am
profile evaluation for isb

by Priya SDre » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:09 am
Hi Team,

I am planning to apply ISB round 2 for the class of 17-18.Could you please evaluate my profile.

Profile :
SSC : 90.61%
HSC : 74%
BE(Mech) : 62.33%
Work ex : 26 months (TechM : developer for people-soft(ERP) finance - procurement )
Planning to take GMAT in 3 months.

Extra curricular:
1.In final year of my college I was appointed as Principal Nominee in the Student Council .
2.as a student council member carried out different social events such as annual functions( twice a year) ,poster competition and various social activities.
3.My final year project was grain dryer for small scale industries and won 2nd prize at a district level competition.
4. Won 2nd prize at an intercollegiate paper presentation competition.
5.Organised and volunteered at various technical events throughout my college years.
6.In 2nd year my team was runner up at IIT - Kharagpur's zonal level competition of robot making.
7.Participated in various elocution and debate competition in school.
8.I used to do anchoring(usually formal)for various events at school and college.
9. Along with few of my friends we had started English club in my school as I have done my schooling in Marathi medium ,English was a secondary language.We used to carry out different activities under this club.
10.I like sketching but I don't pursue it as a hobby however I have passed elementary examination(drawing) but I don't have a certificate for it.
11.won an award for my performance at office .
12.As a part of CSR activities we teach at 2 ZP schools, I have recently joined the team to teach arts and computer science on weekends. (May be its too soon to mention because this activity has started in Sep only , but I am liking it so thought of mentioning it anyway)