Profile Evaluation - ISB Hyderabad

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:34 members

by AskgoISB » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:59 pm
TheDarkKnightToDoMBA wrote:Hello Experts,

I would like to read a evaluation of my profile for ISB admission in coming admission cycle - round 2.

GMAT: Yet to take and planning to take in October 2016 and targeting 740+

Hi,

What is your total work ex duration?
Cheers,
goISB team
https://www.goISB.com
Ph: +91 9871354580
Email:[email protected]
Check goISB's Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP) - ISB admit or money back*
https://www.goisb.com/services/gap/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TheDarkKnightToDoMBA » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 pm
AskgoISB wrote:

I would like to read a evaluation of my profile for ISB admission in coming admission cycle - round 2.

Hi,

What is your total work ex duration?
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in reviewing my profile.

It will be 2.5 years by the time of application.

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Acads:

Secondary: 94.83%
PUC(Equivalent to Intermediate): 9.39/10
Undergraduate: 7.67/10 (B Tech Dual Degree - Major: Electronics & Communications Minor: Computer Science) from a State Govt University.

Work Exp:

Android Application Developer in a startup(3 Months): Successfully Designed, Developed and Deployed Android applications specially targeting primary school children and visually challenged children.

Received appreciation from CEO & CTO of startup as best intern of the year.

System Engineer in TCS (2.5 years):
Key Highlights:

1) Worked as a Single Point of Contact(SPOC) for a group of 30 fellow trainees and received ILP Harbinger award for leading the learning group and showing exceptional improvement and adaptability in shaping my skills to an IT job.

2) Working for a leading commercial bank of North America in maintaining and installing updates for a key application in credit card acquisition due to which I have gained significant banking domain knowledge in credit card acquisition and credit decisions and Risk analysis.

3) Received several appreciations from clients for exceptional delivery standards and collaboration.

4) Received 3 on spot awards from TCS on receiving great feed back from clients consistently.

5) Received Star of the Month Award.

6) Promoted to Module Lead and will be promoted to Offshore team lead by the time of applying which is very rare to achieve in a span of 2.5 years in TCS.

Certifications:

1) Diploma in Business Analysis in banking by IIBA.
2) Certification in Media & Programming by Carnegie Mellon University, USA.

Extra Curricular Activities:

1) Working as Safety Champion in TCS and working towards organizational safety and promoting Road safety
2) Volunteer of PurposeForLife initiatives in TCS
3) Volunteer of Chennai Trekker's Club.
4) Established and worked as Secretary & Head of Amusement in "Student Recreation Center" in University.
5) Lead a team of 50 volunteers for two years in National Service Scheme in University.
6) Worked as Web Master for Electronic Society in University.
7) School Pupil Leader in secondary Education and achieved best student award

Why MBA?

The banking industry has fascinated me and it is going through a massive phase shift with the advent of latest technological development. I am looking for a product management or business development role in a leading bank down the line and take part of the phase shift in industry and make significant impact. MBA from ISB at this juncture will be handful to realize this.

Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile.
Hi

You have a nice profile there. Although you belong to a competitive applicant pool (IT Male), your good work at TCS and your expertise in banking can potentially set you apart from other applicants. Your ECA is pretty good as well, and will help. Your key task in the essays will now be differentiating yourself in an overcrowded IT pool, basis your many strengths.

On the GMAT, you should potentially try and take it in September and try and apply in Round 1, if possible. If not, of course, a better score and stronger app take precedence over applying in earlier round.

Post-MBA, product management in banking may be a bit tough as few such roles are offered at ISB, and the ones that are are usually pouched by students with business banking backgrounds. Business development in banking, though, is very much a possibility post-ISB, and ISB's placements in banking have seen an uptick in the most recent placement season.

Also have a look at the following articles:
ISB placements 2016
The MBA for Indian IT applicants
ISB essays 2016 analysis

by southkasanta » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:54 am
Hey guys

Could someone here evaluate my profile for ISB?

10th: 92%
12th: 88%
UG: 8.48 (CGPA) from a leading private engineering college in Information Technology
GRE: 332 (Q:167, V:165)

I haven't taken the GMAT because my GRE score is kind of decent and ISB has started accepting GRE scores :D

Will have a total work Experience of 4 years by March 2017 at Cisco Systems.

Apart from this, I have pretty solid extra curricular achievements - have won several debates/quizzes and the like in college. I also play cricket and table tennis.

Thanks in advance!

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:12 am
southkasanta wrote:Hey guys

Could someone here evaluate my profile for ISB?

10th: 92%
12th: 88%
UG: 8.48 (CGPA) from a leading private engineering college in Information Technology
GRE: 332 (Q:167, V:165)

I haven't taken the GMAT because my GRE score is kind of decent and ISB has started accepting GRE scores :D

Will have a total work Experience of 4 years by March 2017 at Cisco Systems.

Apart from this, I have pretty solid extra curricular achievements - have won several debates/quizzes and the like in college. I also play cricket and table tennis.

Thanks in advance!
Hi

To start off, your GRE isn't kind of decent - it's awesome! It will certainly give you a great shot at ISB.

The ECA seem good, but would need more details on your work - what is your role around/key achievement/post-MBA goals to assess more deeply.

by southkasanta » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:40 am
GyanOne wrote: Hi

To start off, your GRE isn't kind of decent - it's awesome! It will certainly give you a great shot at ISB.

The ECA seem good, but would need more details on your work - what is your role around/key achievement/post-MBA goals to assess more deeply.
Thanks for responding! That was quick :)

I've dabbled in customer facing roles, as well as hardcore software development. I currently write software that drives data centres. I've received several awards and have been recognised for resolving downtime issues of Fortune 500 companies as well (this involves managing multiple stakeholders while working under immense pressure, since downtime equals financial losses). I also act as the Cisco escalation point for a group of contractors that we have outsourced some work to. I'd love to move into consulting, which is why this MBA is important to me. Does this help?

Thanks again!

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:48 am
southkasanta wrote:
GyanOne wrote: Hi

Thanks for responding! That was quick :)

I've dabbled in customer facing roles, as well as hardcore software development. I currently write software that drives data centres. I've received several awards and have been recognised for resolving downtime issues of Fortune 500 companies as well (this involves managing multiple stakeholders while working under immense pressure, since downtime equals financial losses). I also act as the Cisco escalation point for a group of contractors that we have outsourced some work to. I'd love to move into consulting, which is why this MBA is important to me. Does this help?

Thanks again!
Looks good, but focus more on the customer management/team management aspects of your profile. The techie/coder trying to move to consulting is all too common. You overall profile is quite decent, and if you can put in a good app, your chances of making it are great.

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:13 am
sveniga4 wrote:Hello,
Here is a brief summary of my profile-
Bachelor's in EEE, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore-GPA-7.7/10
Master's in Electrical Engineering, Arizona State University ( Power and energy systems) GPA-3.3/4
GMAT-720
Work Experience- Two and half years as of now ( planning to apply of 2018/2019) in one of the top 3 power and energy companies in USA. ( I never worked in India and have no domestic experience). I worked on large scale solar projects ( with companies like Sun Edison and First Solar) in USA.
Since I am planning to wait for another 1 year before applying, how realistic is my goal to get into ISB? and also what can I do to improve my chances?
As of now, I may be lacking some leadership experience and I am working towards it.
sveniga4

Your profile is certainly good enough to get you into contention for ISB, but wanted to understand why you want to wait for another year before you apply. If it is for personal reasons, it is understandable, but if you feel that you need to do so to improve your chances at ISB, then you may like to reconsider. While leadership experience is valued by ISB, and you may well like to get some in case you are applying to US schools apart from applying to ISB, you have enough by way of your work experience so far to make it to ISB.

You may also like to check out this article: Improving your profile for MBA admissions

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:50 pm
negi00000 wrote:Hi I am planning to apply to ISB for 2017-18 . My Work ex would be around 39 months at the time of application.

Please suggest a safe GMAT score for me

and Evaluate my profile.

School-Many debate and declamation certificates

10th-81.2%

12th-73%

Btech-73.4%

Btech- 4 years fest registration coordinator + fest organiser in collegue

Pradhan mantri scholarship during btech

Postgraduation diploma in banking services-7.87 cgpa

Work experience:- around 39 months at time of application (Thats cutt off date)

Marketting job-

2 months (online blogger,online marketting executive)

Financial work-

3months internship and work at axis bank

Degree in Post graduation diploma in banking services-

Nism certification mutual funds certified national level certificate
Nism certification depository National level certificate

IT Work experience:-

Worked as system engineer in infosys for U.S. company(Tesla motors) Since feb 2014 Till Today.

Many times best performer of the Month( I have the emails from senior managers -Client side as well for this)

International work experience of around 1.5 month at client location In Netherlands .I got this opportunity for consistently being the best employee for many months
Hi

This evaluation is a bit dated but posting here in the hope that it can still help in some way.

Your overall profile is excellent and should give you a great chance at ISB. Decent acads, excellent work experience, and some international experience as well. While you belong to a competitive applicant pool (Indian IT Male), your work with Tesla, the Banking diploma, and the awards you have will certainly help differentiate you. The blogging work helps as a hobby.

Overall, a score of 680+ will put someone like you in serious contention at ISB, though if aiming for a score, aim high - 700 and above.

All the best and feel free to come back with more questions as needed.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:02 am
SaurabhSaurabh wrote:Hi,
Hi Saurabh! So your GMAT is a little below the average for ISB but you do have some strong work experience. One thing you may have to explain is why the MBA in 2006 was not enough so be prepared to explain that. Also I don't think you can really assess someone's chances at a school without knowing their reasoning for why they want to attend- as the school will want to know why do you see yourself adding value here and what is it the school can help you to do post MBA. Are you looking for a career switch? Why was the first MBA not sufficient? These are the questions I'd be asking if I was on the admissions team at ISB and these are the questions I did ask when reviewing candidates at UNC Kenan-Flagler! Hope that helps and good luck! Now in my work at StratusPrep I get to work with clients one on one to help challenge them in these areas and I enjoy it very much. If you want to know how a firms like ours can help, we offer free consults from our website at StratusPrep.com. Best of luck to you and no matter what- have answers to these questions when you visit the school!
I need yout help in evaluating my profile for ISB Hyderabad. Heres is a snapshot of my profile -

GMAT Score - 660: Quant - 48, Verbal - 34, AWA - 5.5.
I have 5 yrs of experiece is IT Systems (ERP, Business Intelligence) development and Support.
Eduction - BE (Computer Science, 2004), MBA (Marketing and Systems, 2006).

Pl help in understanding my chances to make it through ISB. Thanks a[/quote]

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:55 pm
mrn wrote:Hi,
Kindly evaluate my profile.
1. 10th - 88.46% ( Maharashtra State board)
2. 12th - 90.67% ( Maharashtra State Board)
3. BE - 65% in electronics and Telecommunications ( Mumbai University) 4. Work Experience - in IT Tata Consultancy Services 2 years 8 months experience
5. Client Experience - 2 years 8 months at National Stock Exchange of India Limited
6. Awards - 6 TCS on the spot awards for improptu implementations and 1 Best Team award for Risk associated deployment
7. Certifications - 3 NCFM NSE certifications with distinctions, ITIL foundation for IT service Management, NSE's certified Market Professional, IIBA endorsed certification in business consulting

8. Extra curriculum - organiser of various technical events held in engineering college, Editor in chief for online college magazine, 5 level completion in classical dance (Katthak) from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya

9. Social Service - Volunteer for TATA Proengage social activity for Dorabaji Trust
10.Gender - Female
Kindly advice me regarding expected gmat score for my profile to get into ISB
Hi mrn

Aim for 680+ on the GMAT as a minimum, but try to go over 700 if you can - that will help. You should try and differentiate yourself a bit from other IT candidates by highlighting your work at NSE and how it helped. ECA is quite good and will help.

by Vishal Agarwal » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:12 pm
Hi,

Indian IT Male

GMAT Score: -- expected to be around 700+ (TestDate is Aug 2016)

Education:
1. 10th -- 85% (ICSE)
2. 12th -- 74% (ISCE)
3. BTECH -- 8.95 out of 10 in electronics and Instrumentation (West Bengal University).
4. MBA -- 7.15 out of 10 in Finance (ICFAI Distance)

Experience:
Work experience of 10 years 10 months by April 2017. Primarily worked with Verizon (US Based Telecom Company) with one year stint in TCS (Microsoft Client).

Have managerial experience of around 5 years in which last 1 and half a year as Technical Manager. Have led both large and small teams to successfully deliver projects. Currently managing a team of 10 working on ecommerce website of Verizon.

Achievements:
Received 3 SPOT awards and 3 CIO awards (individual and team).
3rd Rank in university
1st rank in college among all departments.
1st rank in college in electronics

Certifications:
Certified Scrum Master
Scaled Agilist
Basic level certifications in German and Spanish.
Working on PMP.

Extra Curricular:
Organised Fests in college
Played football for Verizon Corporate

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:29 pm
Vishal Agarwal wrote:Hi,

Indian IT Male

Education:
1. 10th -- 85% (ICSE)
2. 12th -- 74% (ISCE)
3. BTECH -- 8.95 out of 10 in electronics and Instrumentation (West Bengal University).

Experience:
Work experience of 10 years 10 months by April 2017. Primarily worked with Verizon (US Based Telecom Company) with one year stint in TCS (Microsoft Client).

Have managerial experience of around 5 years in which last 1 and half a year as Technical Manager. Have led both large and small teams to successfully deliver projects. Currently managing a team of 10 working on ecommerce website of Verizon.

Achievements:
3rd Rank in university

Certifications:
Certified Scrum Master
Scaled Agilist
Working on PMP.

Extra Curricular:
Hi Vishal

You do have a shot at ISB but keep the following things in mind:
- You are at the highest end of the work spectrum. Though people with as much experience do apply and get through to the PGP, they comprise less than 5% of the class. Therefore, clarity in terms of post-MBA goals and the need for an MBA at this stage of your career will have to be crystal clear.
- The need for a second MBA, especially given that you are already in a managerial role, will also need to be carefully looked at.

Other than that, acads, work experience, work performance all look good. A GMAT of 700+ will be great, though it is not as critical a factor in your case, and even a 670+ will work.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further queries as needed.

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:29 pm
abhinav1725 wrote:evaluation for ISB 2017 intake.

Class X: 77 %
Class XII: 77 %
B.Tech (Biotechnology): 77 %
M.Tech (Environmental Engineering): 8.60 (CGPA)

Work Ex: 2 years as an Assistant Manager in First Smart City

GMAT: yet to be taken

Extra Curricular: Working in an NGO, handling technical stuff of blog (website)

One thing more passed class X with French as one of the main subjects instead of Hindi.

What score should I achieve in GMAT? and What are my chances for selection?
Hi

All looks good on the academics front, and your work in the First Smart City project is a potential differentiator, something that ISB is looking for very clearly. The French bit helps very marginally, but the M.Tech definitely adds to your profile (ISB values applicants with a master's). The blog activity will be taken more as a hobby, and the NGO work will need to be seen more deeply in terms of what you did for us to comment on it.

The GMAT score to be aimed at is 700+ for you. If you can achieve that, and put in a strong app, your chances should be decent.

by Vishal Agarwal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:06 am
GyanOne wrote:
Vishal Agarwal wrote:Hi,

Indian IT Male

Education:
1. 10th -- 85% (ICSE)
2. 12th -- 74% (ISCE)

Experience:

Achievements:
3rd Rank in university

Certifications:
Certified Scrum Master
Scaled Agilist
Working on PMP.

Extra Curricular:
Hi Vishal

You do have a shot at ISB but keep the following things in mind:
- You are at the highest end of the work spectrum. Though people with as much experience do apply and get through to the PGP, they comprise less than 5% of the class. Therefore, clarity in terms of post-MBA goals and the need for an MBA at this stage of your career will have to be crystal clear.
- The need for a second MBA, especially given that you are already in a managerial role, will also need to be carefully looked at.

Other than that, acads, work experience, work performance all look good. A GMAT of 700+ will be great, though it is not as critical a factor in your case, and even a 670+ will work.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further queries as needed.

Thanks for reply. I will work on te post MBA goals clarity and why I need to do MBA at this stage.
But I am in dilemma with 2nd MBA point, will it add any value to the profile or I should skip as it was done in distance mode.