Profile Evaluation - Input greatly appreciated

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi All,

I actually accidentally posted a similar post in the Applications Process forum, only to realize that this is where I should have posted a profile evaluation request. My sincere apologies to the Admin(s), as I didn't mean to cross-post. I'd really like some help in knowing where I stand.

I've just recently began posting a lot of my questions on this site and have finally worked up the nerve to ask for a profile evaluation. I'm ready to receive my diagnosis (for better or worse) and am looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Education:
large state school undergrad (top 25-35 for business)
cumulative gpa: 3.19
major: finance; major gpa: 3.67

Work Experience:
(International experience in Asia, primarily in Japan)

1.5 years Business Development Associate for a small to medium sized foreign exchange(leveraged currency trading) brokerage. Assigned as project leader to setup offshore sister company in other regions of Asia to act as a hub to expand Asian client-base. This included applying for and submitting volumes of information and business plans to relevant regulators to acquire appropriate financial licenses from respective jurisdictions.

1 year working as an equities trader at a large European Corporate and Investment Bank.
(Unfortunately mine and many other departments were eliminated in the wake of the Greek debt crisis after only a year there).

6 months co-founding a start-up foreign exchange brokerage, acting essentially as an in-house consultant. Large scope of responsibilities, including the implementation of operational infrastructure, negotiating fees & terms with our IT trading platform provider, and coordinating with clients to on-board them onto the trading system to enable live trading.

Lastly, not sure if this counts, but I interned as a search engine optimization analyst for 1 year while still in college. So at present, I have 3 to 4 years experience (depending on whether the internship can count), and will have 4 to 5 years experience at matriculation.

GMAT:
I am scheduled to take this at the beginning of December, but for the sake of the evaluation, let's assume I score around 700 - 720.

Target Schools:
Chicago Booth (reach)
Northwestern Kellogg (reach)
UCLA Anderson
Columbia
Michigan Ross

I realize Booth and Kellogg are a long shot, but what do you think of my chances with UCLA, Columbia, Michigan, or even Cornell Johnson?

Sorry for the long post, but if anybody could shed some light onto whether you think I have a chance at any of these schools, I would be extremely grateful to hear what you have to say.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ricecracker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm
Sorry to bump this, but it would be very helpful if I could get some feedback. The lack of a response has me a bit worried that maybe I'm just dreaming. I'm really hoping that's not the case.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:27 pm
Hi, and thanks for your post!
I've reviewed your information, and I do think that you are in good shape in terms of your background, and your school list in general. Of course, I do think that your GMAT will play a role, as will your essays, and that you should absolutely be considering schools based on their program strengths in consulting as at least one of the criteria you are considering. With this in mind, I would suggest that you absolutely try to apply R2, and that you might also consider Tuck, Kenan Flagler and UCLA.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you'd like a more detailed, free initial assessment.
Best,
Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit