Harvard MBA HBS 2+2

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by 2+2 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:34 pm
hi! I´ve scored today 640 (Q43 V34) and I would like to know if you think it cold be enough for HBS 2+2 Program. I´m Spaniard male and studying Civil Engineering.

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HBS 2+2

by klenas » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 am
Hello,

I am a civil engineering junior at a large state university. I am a white female. I have scored a 710 on my GMAT. I have worked at my family's civil engineering/land development business over the summers and part time during the school year since I was a freshman.
-My gpa is 3.2.
-I have my real estate license.
-I will be vice president of my school's American Society of Civil Engineers chapter next semester, and the following semester I will become president. (100 members)
-I helped to establish ties between my university and a national science competition so middle school students could have engineering students as mentors.
-I have volunteered as a youth soccer coach.

According to the above, do I have a chance of acceptance to 2+2?

Thanks!

by 2+2 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 am
hi I am a civil engineer student too, but from Europe. take a look at this thread https://www.beatthegmat.com/hbs-2-2-new- ... tml#135332. This one is this year´s post

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by legend2005 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:49 pm
All--

Just a little bit of advice...

It's really important to tie 2+2 into your future goals (e.g. why 2+2 would allow you to do something you previously didn't consider--even if it's as simple as attending biz school instead of law school, med school, etc.--or how HBS in general could give you a distinct experience from any other traditional business school or graduate school). If you come off (even unintentionally) as someone who would apply to HBS anyway, the program's probably not for you.

While stats and organizational involvement are VERY important just to be considered (and certainly to be eventually admitted), you are wasting your time if you can't skillfully articulate how you will both get something unique out of 2+2 and contribute some sort of diverse background to the program. If you can articulate how HBS in general will set you along an even better life path post-MBA, that's even better. (My thoughts: even if you aren't 100% sure of what you want to do with your life, it's better to posit a few specific suggestions, maybe even linking in specific classes/profs/organizations at HBS that will allow you to accomplish these goals.)

I hope that my message isn't too cryptic...it's certainly not supposed to be. Looking back on the admissions process last year, I realize the that we applicants probably disproportionately emphasized stats, internships, etc. The truth is that there will (likely) be a few students with GMATs in the mid-600s accepted and probably at least a student or two with a 790 or 800 rejected. GMAT (or I guess GRE this year) and grades just get you in the door and don't necessarily shut you out if you can convince HBS otherwise, especially for this program.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LulaBrazilia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm
Is it true that by applying for early admission, one has a signifcant advantage over the rest of the application pool? wouldn't it make sense instead to think that early admin puts you against other very dedicated very competitive applicants?

by Rhetor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 am
LulaBrazilia wrote:Is it true that by applying for early admission, one has a signifcant advantage over the rest of the application pool? wouldn't it make sense instead to think that early admin puts you against other very dedicated very competitive applicants?
It depends on your background.

If you have a very strong non-traditional background, then there is a greater chance of acceptance because there are only 1000-1500 applicants, so your application is likely to be looked at more carefully.

However if you are a mainstream strong applicant (Straight-A student looking at going into consultancy) then it doesn't make much sense, because you will be overshadowed by the non-trads (whom the 2+2 is looking for).

In short, better chance if you are are non-trad; slightly less than avg if you are mainstream.

hey guys,
does anyone around here has some idea on what kind of students were admitted last year? Actually, i think my Gmat score is decent (750), but I do not have many leadership roles, so I wanted to know if it is absolutely essential to have big leadership roles?

Best
ank

by pulkit89.iit » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:05 am
hi,

i came across this website called Mentorpolis, and it has some last year admits and their detailed profiles. They are also hosting a web-seminar for this year's applicants, i think that could be helpful! I am looking fwd to it :D

CHeers
PK

by ank.2504 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 am
hey pulkit! thanks for the info, I checked out the site, looks good, i have registered too.. I think it could be a great help. See you in the seminar!
oh BTW, we should move this discussion to the HBS 2+2 (new) thread!

:)

by Rhetor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 am
pulkit and ank- you two clowns have the most thinly veiled "advertisement" campaign I've ever seen.

I take it you have some vested interest in Mentorpolis... do yourself a favour and engage in some real advertising/ marketing tieups rather than asking pretend questions on forums/ 2+2 group on facebook.

by 2+2sbh » Sat May 02, 2009 4:14 pm
Agree with Rhetor on pulkit and ank.

My query is regarding the recommendations.

Could you guys tell me your approach in getting the right reccos? Should we look for a person with a great title or someone modest but who knows you very well and can vouch for your qualities very strongly.

I know it helps to have a recco from an HBS alum, unfortunately I am not in a position to get one! :)

by rsm_iitb » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:41 pm
Hey guys,

I was accepted to HBS 2+2 in 2009. I know how hard and confusing the entire process is, so I am trying from my side to help in whatever little way I can.

https://rutika87.wordpress.com/2009/12/1 ... to-hbs-22/

This is my blog. I'll be posting some information that will hopefully be useful to a few people this year.

All the best!

by rsm_iitb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30 pm
Hey guys,

Have shifted my blog to a new location. This is the link.

https://rutikamuchhala.wordpress.com/hbs2plus2/

" I was accepted to HBS 2+2 in 2009. I know how hard the entire process is, so I am trying from my side to help in whatever little way I can. I'll be posting some information that will hopefully be useful to a few people this year."

All the best!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by maverick_andy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 am
rsm_iitb wrote:Hey guys,

Have shifted my blog to a new location. This is the link.

https://rutikamuchhala.wordpress.com/hbs2plus2/

" I was accepted to HBS 2+2 in 2009. I know how hard the entire process is, so I am trying from my side to help in whatever little way I can. I'll be posting some information that will hopefully be useful to a few people this year."

All the best!
Congrats Rutika for your HBS admits. Great to see an IITB in HBS .