680 Gmat, 2 years work ex

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

680 Gmat, 2 years work ex

by gunner711 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:53 pm
Hello Sir/ Madam,

I gave the GMAT yesterday, and got a 740. Very happy! Very Happy
I am from India, working in the IT industry. (Not a services based company though, and the company I work for is known for making the best business solutions in the world). And, I have full UG scores. (I was the topper of my University)
I have been working here for around 18 months. I would like to know if colleges like MIT, Darden, CMU, Fuqua, Insead, Cornell Johnsson, Yale are in my reach? A very frank opinion will be most appreciated. And if not these, what are the kind of colleges I am looking at?
There are 2 possible cases: 1) I apply this year, 2) Next year.
I would be very very glad if I can get options considering both options.

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am
Hi Gunner711 and thanks for your post.
Congratulations on your 740 GMAT! In terms of programs that might be a good fit for you, I'd certainly want to know much more about what your short and long term goals are so that I can advise programs that are especially strong in the areas you hope to study! From a numbers perspective only, your top grades and your GMAT score certainly put you in the running for many of the schools you've mentioned, but I'd also want to know more about your goals and what you do outside of your work in terms of extra-curricular interests.

Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a more detailed, free initial assessment.

Best,

Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gunner711 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 am
Hello Deena,

Thanks, the following are my EC's:

"¢ Was the Lance corporal in National Cadet Corps (NCC) for 2 years
"¢ Participated in a 10 day NCC national camp
"¢ Was a part of Children Traffic Corps (CTC) was 1 year
"¢ Was an integral part of the school march past troop that won 3 trophies competing against all schools in the town, also led the department march past troop in college.
"¢ Played football both for school and for college
"¢ Was a part of a flash mob at my work place.
"¢ Participated in a fashion show held at a Line of Business wide event.
Apart from the above,

"¢ Awarded the "best student" award by TCS. A total of 50 engineers from the country were chosen for the award, amongst all the engineers in the top colleges in the country.
"¢ Had the maximum GPA in the entire class
"¢ Finished first place in a microprocessor programming event in PSG college, Coimbatore
"¢ Finished second in the Googler event in PSG college, Coimbatore
"¢ Was certified as a IT Champ by EMC organization
"¢ Finished first runner up in the block and tackle event held in college
"¢ Organized 2 events in INFOTREK '09, a national level symposium held in Pondicherry Engineering College
"¢ Administered and conducted Group discussions and literary events as a part of the counseling and career guidance center
"¢ Was the leader of the class (representative) for 2 semesters
"¢ Was chosen by the team, as the employee representative for the team, at the line of business level.

You think I stand a chance at the schools I mentioned this year, or the next?
Sounds very very good to me!

Also, if you need any other information, please do ask me.

Thanks a lot
Regards
Gaurav