Which of the following, if true, most logically completes th

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the passage?
A recent poll found that over 80 percent of the residents of Nalmed Province favored a massive expansion of the commuter rail system as a means of significantly easing congestion on the province's highways and were willing to help pay for the expansion through an increase in their taxes. Nevertheless, the poll results indicate that expansion of the rail system, if successfully completed, would be unlikely to achieve its goal of easing congestion, because _______.

A. most people in favor of expanding the rail system reported less congestion during their highway commute as the primary benefit they would experience
B. of the less than 20 percent of residents not counted as favoring the expansion, about half claimed to have no opinion one way or the other
C. the twice-daily periods of peak congestion caused by people commuting in cars have grown from about an hour each to almost two and a half hours each in the past 20 years
D. expanding the commuter rail system will require the construction of dozens of miles of new railbed
E. the proposed expansion to the commuter rail system will make it possible for some people who both live and work at suburban locations to commute by rail

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Please justify your answer[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:08 am
we are basically asked to weaken the arguement here. Generally complete the passage questions are inference or assumption questions :

A. most people in favor of expanding the rail system reported less congestion during their highway commute as the primary benefit they would experience
irrelevant

B. of the less than 20 percent of residents not counted as favoring the expansion, about half claimed to have no opinion one way or the other
the opinion of the half of the non favouring public is not required here

C. the twice-daily periods of peak congestion caused by people commuting in cars have grown from about an hour each to almost two and a half hours each in the past 20 years
yes, this proves that the expansion will still not alleviate congestion

D. expanding the commuter rail system will require the construction of dozens of miles of new railbed
oki so what, we have several railbeds with us

E. the proposed expansion to the commuter rail system will make it possible for some people who both live and work at suburban locations to commute by rail
big deal !!
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sainagalla » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:13 am
i think it is C.

by badresh70 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 am
IMO : C

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 am
Hi Guys,

I also went with option C but the OA given is A :-(.........I have found one link https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-tough-cr-p ... 38155.html, may be it can be helpful to you all..........after going through the question again I realised why C is wrong

because if you see the main premise then you will realise that no where it's mentioned that rail network is being built since past 20 years but in option C it is said for the past 20 years the peak hour congestion time has increased. If premise statements would have mentioned that rail network is being built since past 20 years then I feel option C would have been correct

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by newton9 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:36 am
My answer is A

80% of the people are in favor of rail system expansion and will to pay for the expansion. We have to find a reason that makes the railsystem expansion less likely to achieve the goal of easing congestion.

What if most of the people who voted for expansion are hoping that others would use the railways, there by easing congestion of the roads. This is what exactly A tells. Most of the people wants to keep using the roads. So even expanding railways is not going to ease congestion.

C) The railways expansion might reduce the current peak congestion. There is no reason to believe it won't

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by boazkhan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:35 am
Can we have an expert shed some light on this problem?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am
I would say that Newton9 is your expert here...

The above explanation is right on.

I was thinking as I was reading that one reason to want the train to be popular is so that other people are on it!!!

So Choice A does that...

You can treat this as a strengthen question. You can tell that you are looking for a premise since you have the "because" just before the blank. So the answer choice basically begins with "because" and so it is a premise.

So you want to strengthen the idea that "expansion of the rail system, if successfully completed, would be unlikely to achieve its goal of easing congestion." Now we need to make the poll point out that the train will not work when it seems it will. A does that.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:48 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I would say that Newton9 is your expert here...

The above explanation is right on.

I was thinking as I was reading that one reason to want the train to be popular is so that other people are on it!!!

So Choice A does that...

You can treat this as a strengthen question. You can tell that you are looking for a premise since you have the "because" just before the blank. So the answer choice basically begins with "because" and so it is a premise.

So you want to strengthen the idea that "expansion of the rail system, if successfully completed, would be unlikely to achieve its goal of easing congestion." Now we need to make the poll point out that the train will not work when it seems it will. A does that.
Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your response. Is my explanation below for rejecting C correct?

"because if you see the main premise then you will realise that no where it's mentioned that rail network is being built since past 20 years but in option C it is said for the past 20 years the peak hour congestion time has increased. If premise statements would have mentioned that rail network is being built since past 20 years then I feel option C would have been correct"

GMAT Score:580

by breakkgmat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm
I thought its C as well initially...Nicely Explained Mr.Knewton ..Thanks..Thats why Critical reasoning needs you to think so critically..

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:40 am
i have to say this was a little too tough for me. who makes such questions ? :shock:

whats the source aspirant ?
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:08 am
bblast wrote:i have to say this was a little too tough for me. who makes such questions ? :shock:

whats the source aspirant ?
I think it's Manhattan GMAT Problem........

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 am
I think it's Manhattan GMAT Problem........
nope, we didn't write this problem. not in our database.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron