Which book for reading comprehension?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:760

Which book for reading comprehension?

by nikhilsrl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31 am
I wanted to buy a prep guide for reading comprehension and the reviews here point to Veritas prep and Manhattan guide. They also seem to suggest that both have features that are complementary. For eg Veritas talks about the connecting factors between passages in a separate section whereas Manhattan has in scattered all around. So is it a good idea to get both?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:50 am
nikhilsrl wrote:I wanted to buy a prep guide for reading comprehension and the reviews here point to Veritas prep and Manhattan guide. They also seem to suggest that both have features that are complementary. For eg Veritas talks about the connecting factors between passages in a separate section whereas Manhattan has in scattered all around. So is it a good idea to get both?
More or less both talk about same. Yes veritas says to keep track of connectors, but MGMAT says it in different way like read first whole para carefully, then read first sentence of each para carefully and skim rest. By skimming they mean to look for connectors or red flag words.
Major difference is Veritas has good number of tough questions, MGMAT discussed strategy to handle Passage but lack sufficient no of questions.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 am
When is the nxt veritas challenge going to take place ? Hope to win a Veritas RC guide
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by hja379 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm
nikhilsrl wrote:I wanted to buy a prep guide for reading comprehension and the reviews here point to Veritas prep and Manhattan guide. They also seem to suggest that both have features that are complementary. For eg Veritas talks about the connecting factors between passages in a separate section whereas Manhattan has in scattered all around. So is it a good idea to get both?
I used MGMAT RC guide. For the price, you get CATs, Q Banks as well. Not sure if Veritas book comes with online pratice questions.
Google "GMAT Pill"<--really helpful, worth checking out--especially for RC passages.
e-gmat SC: Never thought it would be fun learning SC.
India School Fund: Education through Innovation - A HBS start-up.