what scratchpad do you get in the exam?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

what scratchpad do you get in the exam?

by meghamehta15 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 pm
Guys, I have my GMat scheduled for the second week of Feb. Can someone tell me about what kind of notepad/scratchpad I would get during the exam? Is it limited? I want to practice my tests accordingly so I get accustomed to using it before the exam.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:29 pm
Latest reports are that test takers get a 5-pack of double sided, graph-lined, legal-sized noteboards (i.e. erasable, need to use special marker).

The front page of the bound noteboards is filled with directions, so you basically have 9 legal-sized pages on which to write.

Further, you can always request another set of noteboards. When the envigilator brings you a new set, however, he or she will take the old set away (so you can't set up 8 pages of formulas during the AWA and then use them during the math section).

You'll be provided with a marker as well.

Some franchised test sites (i.e. not Pearson-Vue) are still using good old fashioned scrap paper. You should call your test site to see exactly what they'll provide.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

thanks!

by meghamehta15 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm
that was really helpful! Mine's pearson vue so should be the erasable scratchpad.

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 pm
If you are in India, its like Stuart said. the sheets of paper and pen.

You could also try www.gmatscratchpad.com if you interested though i think the time frame isnt much for you.

p.s. i got a free sample from them so i might be biased :)

by nislam » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:53 am
A minor clarification from Stuart's post.

I just called Pearson to clarify something. Yes you do get a new set of scratchpad only when you request it. In other words if I have started AWA and want to reuse it if I want to in Quant.

During the tutorial PR (and others I believe) recommends dividing up the scratch pad into 4 boxes with each box containing ABCDE. The clock for me is a major distraction. I tried the following recently that helped me. In each box number the questions (1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... 37). At every 5th question put in time remaining. For example at 5th question (2 min/Q rule) should be 65 min remaining. This kept my eye off the clock and helped keep an eye on pace. This strategy was particularly useful for Quant.

Secondly for those who have used mechanical pencils all their life (engineers) the marker and scratchpad may shock you. I bought it and found it difficult getting used to writing with it. Luckily after several practice tests using the scratchpad has been great.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Nidhs » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am
nislam,

Do you have the distribution of time remaining and the question no I should ideally be at? Could you please send it to us. It will be very helpful.