What's the total prep hours for GMAT ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What's the total prep hours for GMAT ?

by yanar99 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:52 am
Hi all,

What's the advisable total prep hours for GMAT ?

I work full-time and I'm single, no kids (yehey!); I plan of devoting at least 2 hours of full-time study on 4 weeknites and 6 hrs on Saturday for the next 3 weeks. Continuous (well.. at least that's the plan).

I am confident with my math and verbal skills and I can foresee that my struggles would mostly be on test-taking itself (for ex: I might skim, miss keywords, answer too fast, etc).

Let's say I stick to my schedule of 14 study hours for 3 weeks - do you think it's doable ? If not, how much do you think it should be ?

The reason I am rushing this is I am actually preparing to write a series of professional exams which will take me a year to finish. I want to get this GMAT done and out of my way asap. :)

Thanks in advance for your replies!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu May 10, 2007 7:17 pm
It's really not about the number of hours you spend prepping--it's how you use your time. The most important thing to have is a solid study strategy and a good process to systematically identify your weaknesses and improve upon them.

Check out my GMAT blog, https://beatthegmat.blocked. I spent about 12 weeks studying myself...

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I think that's a pretty good plan, actually. I do agree that it's not the number of hours you spend, necessarily, but how productive you are. If you find yourself burning out at that pace, take a break. Maybe plan on 3 nights a week, with a break on Wednesdays.

Work on practice questions, one for each question type, on weeknights, and do a full test on weekends. If you're that strong on the fundamentals, though, you could probably do practice questions on Monday, a test on Tuesday, review and corrections Thursday, then a test with full review on Saturday.

Once you get into your study regimen, you'll get a feel for what you really need.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 pm
Most people study for 3-4 months. You need to take a practice test first and see how far away you are from your goal score to figure out what you need to do.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me