What are my chances?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

What are my chances?

by Sharms » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 pm
Hi,

I hold a bachelors degree in commerce (3yrs) and a Tourism management (2yrs) UG degree from India. While my grades in bachelors was way too low, I scored nearly a 3.5 gpa IN the toursim mgmnt. Do Bschools consider a total GPA for admits? What are my chances if they consider only graduation GPA? I received a KT due to some reasons and went back to college after 4 yrs to finish it.
Additionally, I posses 5 yrs of progressive work experience and am sure I can get good recommendations too. I'm aiming at a GMAT score of 650 and I know i need to prepare a lot harder to achieve this. I will definitely appreciate your professional inputs to evaluate and better my strategy.

Thanks a ton in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 pm
Hi Sharms,

Thanks for your post.

The admissions offices will likely look most closely at your Commerce degree since that coursework would be most similar to an MBA program.

Your GMAT score will be the best way to convince the admissions offices that you are able to handle the academic rigors of the MBA coursework - particularly your Quant score.

In addition, you could consider enrolling part-time in a couple quantitative business courses (such as finance, economics) to demonstrate your commitment to academics.

Best,
Heidi