Weird answer needs to be discussed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Weird answer needs to be discussed

by yangliu0401 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:57 am
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

A. Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.
B. Over the course of the eighteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.
C. With charcoal’s being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.
D. The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.
E. Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the eighteenth century.

OA is C. While I think A is the answer. I don not think the use of "with being" in C is idiomatic.

Can anyone have some explan it for me ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Weird answer needs to be discussed

by x2suresh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:45 pm
yangliu0401 wrote:Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

A. Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.
B. Over the course of the eighteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.
C. With charcoal’s being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.
D. The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.
E. Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the eighteenth century.

OA is C. While I think A is the answer. I don not think the use of "with being" in C is idiomatic.

I found problem with A ..

output tripled as a result of X and because Y.
violates the parallesim.

It should of
output tripled as result of X and Y ( X and Y must be parallel)

C is also looks wrong to me.

Charcoal's being --> wrong to me (possessive)

What is the source.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: Weird answer needs to be discussed

by yangliu0401 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:54 pm
x2suresh wrote:
yangliu0401 wrote:Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

I found problem with A ..

output tripled as a result of X and because Y.
violates the parallesim.

It should of
output tripled as result of X and Y ( X and Y must be parallel)

C is also looks wrong to me.

Charcoal's being --> wrong to me (possessive)

What is the source.

Ijust found it on another GMAT BBS. Although A is not parallel, it's not grammatically wrong. But structure of C is wrong.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 pm
Where is question from? I think we should focus on OG questions