Violent Crime and Street Vending - Kaplan NEW

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730
Over the past few years, violent crime has decreased dramatically in City X. During this period, there has also been an increase in the number of late-night street vending licenses granted by the city, thereby increasing the number of people on the streets at night. Therefore, the reduction in violent crime must be related to increase in vending licenses.
Which of the following if true would cast doubt on the argument above?

A. The amount of nonviolent crime in City X has not changed much over the past few years.
B. A reduction in crime also causes more pedestrians to be out on the streets in evenings.
C. The number of street vendors in City X has increased steadily during the period in question.
D. During the past few years, City X has reduced the amount of city taxes street vendors must pay.
E. Last year, City X increased the number of police officers working at night.
[spoiler]
IMO - C.[/spoiler]

by need720+ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:51 am
IMO E
OA?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by BlindVision » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:11 pm
coderversion1 wrote:Over the past few years, violent crime has decreased dramatically in City X. During this period, there has also been an increase in the number of late-night street vending licenses granted by the city, thereby increasing the number of people on the streets at night. Therefore, the reduction in violent crime must be related to increase in vending licenses.
Which of the following if true would cast doubt on the argument above?

A. The amount of nonviolent crime in City X has not changed much over the past few years.
B. A reduction in crime also causes more pedestrians to be out on the streets in evenings.
C. The number of street vendors in City X has increased steadily during the period in question.
D. During the past few years, City X has reduced the amount of city taxes street vendors must pay.
E. Last year, City X increased the number of police officers working at night.
[spoiler]
IMO - C.[/spoiler]
D
Life is a Test

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by golfstream700 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 pm
IMO A
The passage says violent crime decreased because of the late-night street vending.
Choice A says the amount of nonviolent crimes has not changed.
The street vending has no effect on nonviolent crime, but it is the reason of violent crime decline. This difference casts doubt on the argument.

by dinaroneo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:28 pm
IMO A; Argument says VC and Late night vendors are correlated.

A says they are not correlated as VC has not changed, even if the number of Late Night vendors have increased.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 pm
IF the presence of street vendors reduces violent crime we would expect it to have a similar impact on non-violent crime. A tells us this does not happen, casting doubt on the argument.
Tani Wolff

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:IF the presence of street vendors reduces violent crime we would expect it to have a similar impact on non-violent crime. A tells us this does not happen, casting doubt on the argument.
Tanni , i have tried to attend the new Kaplan Question webinar a number of times. Whenever i have tried to log on to the online session , i am asked to wait until the webinar starts .I have missed the webinars on 2 occassions and i really wanted to ask a Kaplan representative whether such webinars are actually taking place
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:48 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:IF the presence of street vendors reduces violent crime we would expect it to have a similar impact on non-violent crime. A tells us this does not happen, casting doubt on the argument.

Hi Tani,

This is a causal argument. E states "the alternate cause for stated effect"; and hence weakens the argument.

Where am I going wrong ?
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am
bblast wrote:

Hi Tani,

This is a causal argument. E states "the alternate cause for stated effect"; and hence weakens the argument.

Where am I going wrong ?
E is talking about the increase in the number of policeman last year whereas the stimulus is concerned with the past few years
I Seek Explanations Not Answers