Veritas Prep Q - level 49

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

Veritas Prep Q - level 49

by hemant_rajput » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am
Designed to attract maximum attention, billboard advertisers use cutting-edge, digital billboards without static images and monochrome colors to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

A.Designed to attract maximum attention, billboard advertisers use cutting-edge, digital billboards without static images and monochrome colors to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

B.Designed as attractive, maximum attention-getting billboards are advertised using cutting-edge, digital billboards without static images and monochrome colors to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

C.Designed to attract maximum attention, cutting-edge digital billboards are used by billboard advertisers to convey more to passers-by than ever before, without static images and monochrome colors.

D.designed for maximum attention attraction, cutting-edge digital billboards used by billboard advertisers, without static images and monochrome colors, convey more to passers-by than ever before.

E.Cutting-edge, digital billboards designed to attract maximum attention without static images and monochrome colors that are used by billboard advertisers to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

[spoiler]oa: C

I eliminate e because I feel that "that" refers to static images and monochrome colors.[/spoiler]
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by vivekchandrams » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:27 pm
Hi hemant,

IMO C.

Reason for eliminating E - it does not have a main verb in a sentence. It is a fragment.

Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:24 am
Can anyone comment on the reasons for eliminating D ?

by hemant_rajput » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 am
D.designed for maximum attention attraction, cutting-edge digital billboards used by billboard advertisers, without static images and monochrome colors, convey more to passers-by than ever before.

attention attraction - this is just redundant.

Also as per original sentence attraction should modify maximum attention.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 am
Thanks Hemant !

Apart from "attention attraction" reason, is there any other reason involving "without static images and monochrome colors" or modifier errors to eliminate this option ?

by hemant_rajput » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 am
gughanbose wrote:Thanks Hemant !

Apart from "attention attraction" reason, is there any other reason involving "without static images and monochrome colors" or modifier errors to eliminate this option ?
I'm not able to see any other problem in option D. May be someone else can elaborate.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rahulag03 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 am
I guess it is C. It corrects the modifier error and conveys the message in best manner

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by manihar.sidharth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:22 pm
Can anybody please help me understand what is wrong with option E?

by pvc86 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 pm
E has parallelism errors, poor construction, and is a run-on sentence that confuses the message.

C corrects the modifier placement, maintains the author's originally intended meaning in a clear and concise manner that also has well-functioning parallelism.

by vivekreachesu » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm
Hi Hemant and gughanbose,
If we look option D from other way, it seems that - billboard advertisers are without static images and monochrome colors - which is illogical. hence "D" is eliminated.

Followed by:4 members

by hazelnut01 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 am
hemant_rajput wrote:Designed to attract maximum attention, billboard advertisers use cutting-edge, digital billboards without static images and monochrome colors to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

A.Designed to attract maximum attention, billboard advertisers use cutting-edge, digital billboards without static images and monochrome colors to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

B.Designed as attractive, maximum attention-getting billboards are advertised using cutting-edge, digital billboards without static images and monochrome colors to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

C.Designed to attract maximum attention, cutting-edge digital billboards are used by billboard advertisers to convey more to passers-by than ever before, without static images and monochrome colors.

E.Cutting-edge, digital billboards designed to attract maximum attention without static images and monochrome colors that are used by billboard advertisers to convey more to passers-by than ever before.

[spoiler]oa: C[/spoiler]
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The correct answer is (C). On the GMAT, make sure sentences are constructed so that modifiers refer to logical things - here the introductory phrase incorrectly modifies "billboards" instead of their "advertisers." (C) places the correct noun after the modifying phrase. (D) is overly wordy and "as designed" is awkward and illogical, while (E) creates a sentence fragment.