verbal material help.....

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

verbal material help.....

by devansh_god » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:57 pm
hi beatthegmat,

i am proud to be one of the first membes of this site..... :D ...... hope this site goes a long way.....

pls advice me on the best material to study verbal from...... i am miserable in verbal...... just took one test(pr 06 , gmat warmup test)......
but i am uncomfertable in verbal.........

i have just read pr06...... i am in the process of starting og11....... but i will surely like your opinion on the best verbal book which you think.......

browsing on the net, i found certain big names :roll: for verbal gmat.....
some of them....pr verbal, manhattan guide for sc and verbal, arco's verbal guide etc.

which do you think is the VERY BEST......... :wink:
Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like the Dead.............

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Verbal Material

by beatthegmat » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 pm
Welcome devansh_god, and thanks for your posts today!

In my opinion, the very best verbal resource is Official Guide (OG), 11th edition. Practicing verbal with actual GMAT questions is the best way to prepare for the verbal section. After doing a set of practice questions, be sure to read through the explanations very carefully. What you will find is that the GMAT likes to test the same verbal (and math) patterns over and over again. Picking up on these patterns only comes through a lot of practice.

In terms of references that will help you in studying for verbal. I recommend first going to the sentence correction forum on this website and downloading Sahil's Notes and Spidey's Notes. These are great references for SC. For more exhaustive SC preparation, I recommend the Manhattan GMAT book--it is supposed to be the best, all though I've never used it myself.

I thought that the Kaplan 800 book was also a worthwhile purchase, and it helped me get some good strategies for CR, RC, and SC.

But, just to emphasize one more time, practicing on OG 11 will help you the most with your verbal preparation. Don't expect immediate results--you have to patiently practice, review your answers, and practice some more. You will get better with time, believe me.

I hope this helps!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school