Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

USC, UCLA or UCB?

by kobeeeeeeee » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:58 pm
I like to know what is my chance of getting into one of the below MBA
USC, UCLA, UCB

I have a GMAT of 740, 97 percentile on verbal and 84 percentile on math. Also, only score a 4 on AWA.

I had a 3.4 GPA, I graduated in UCSD with a BA in Mathematic/ Economics.

I worked as a finance/business analyst in one of a small tech firm in bay area for 1 and a half year. I started my own business (a retail store) May June.

I am also taking CFA level 1 the coming December.

What are my chances?
Do you think USC is a good safety school base on my qualification?

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions, I appreciate that!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:40 am
Thanks for your question!

You didn't mention anything about your community activities so I can't do a full evaluation of your profile, but with your terrific GMAT, solid GPA, work experience and education in finance and entrepreneurial experience I think you'll be a strong candidate at all the schools you mention. There are of course no guarantees but I think USC is the safest of three good choices.

Be sure to address in your essays why you would want to leave an entrepreneurial venture so soon, even if the essay is about lessons learned from it not succeeding! If the business is going well, then all the more reason to address why you would want to leave it.

Best of luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php