• 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

University of Edinburgh Business School 2010 Admit!

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 116
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Thanked: 3 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670
Today, I got an unconditional offer from the University of Edinburgh Business School!!!!!!!!!
I am ready to burst :D

Info about me:

Nationality: Russian (gender - female)
GMAT: 670
Years of experience (3 part time from Russia, and 3 full time in Norway, where I am an expat)

Programme: MBA in International Business

I am super-super excited!! I was dinged from LBS, but who cares, it's their loss, not mine! :D

I think the pogramme is great (intership and exchange options), small class, beautiful city and a great University with LONG history!

Now the money quest will begin )))


But tomorrow i am ging to ceebrate first (tonight working up until 9 pm, can'tdo anything...)

User avatar
Community Manager
Posts: 1049
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanked: 113 times
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm
Congrats, Vitalina!

That is great news! Best of luck to you at Edinburgh Business School!

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 2109
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Thanked: 109 times
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:49 pm
"I was dinged from LBS, but who cares, it's their loss, not mine!" love that quote! congratulations
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants


Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 116
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Thanked: 3 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670

by Vitalina » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:08 pm
money9111 wrote:"I was dinged from LBS, but who cares, it's their loss, not mine!" love that quote! congratulations
Well, what can I say, of course I knew my chances for LBS are petty slim, still, I as hugely disappointed by their no. But no I will be able to enjoy a small class, wonderful location, and much better quality of life in Edinburgh. And who knows what awaits me in the future, maybe LBS will indeed be biting their nails that I am not their alumni :D

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 2109
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Thanked: 109 times
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:31 am
one can only hope! it's great to see your level of excitement! i feel like a lot of times I see people bitter about not getting into their top choice, and then they just don't get the most out of the program they decide to attend. clearly this won't be the case for you
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants


Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Location: Bengaluru
GMAT Score:690

by Clangorous » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm
Congratulations Vitalina.
Can you please share some information about the University of Edinburgh? I am sure you would have researched enough before applying. I was looking for some information about the class profile in terms of Diversity and post MBA career prospects (placement results etc).

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 116
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Thanked: 3 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670

by Vitalina » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:13 pm
money9111 wrote:one can only hope! it's great to see your level of excitement! i feel like a lot of times I see people bitter about not getting into their top choice, and then they just don't get the most out of the program they decide to attend. clearly this won't be the case for you
Yes, I am SUPER excited. I hope it won't cool off by the time the programme starts, haha )) Edinburgh was my 2nd choice, maybe that's why I am so happy :) I knew that my chances at LBS were slim. (Though Edinburgh MBA director tol m hat I do stand out from the crowd, and have a great profile).
Clangorous wrote:Congratulations Vitalina.
Can you please share some information about the University of Edinburgh? I am sure you would have researched enough before applying. I was looking for some information about the class profile in terms of Diversity and post MBA career prospects (placement results etc).
Thanks!
I found this programm because I wanted to study in the UK, and my main interest lies within International Business, so this school came up.
I am ideally looking for a small class (about 50 students), I didn't want to live in a big city, and I wanted the Uni itself to be reputable.
University of Edinburgh is truly great. I do think that their MBA programme is underrated. Focus on diversity is obvious, well, they picked me, I am a very unusual candidate :)
Career - wise: they focus on consulting, this is what I want to do post MBA. And the salary increases seem substantial, and I'll be honest, that's important for me )

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 2109
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Thanked: 109 times
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:21 pm
Why do you say that you were an unusual candidate? did I miss something in your original post? how did you make yourself stand out?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants


Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 116
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Thanked: 3 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670

by Vitalina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:24 am
^^ That's what the Director told me when she interviewed me.
I come from an interesting background and has expatriated.
I don' hve IT or financial education, and the majority of MBA applicants are from these two pools.
AND, I am a girl, which also helps. Ladies are still in the minority in busness schools.
There are some other details, but it would mean getting into too many details of my CV and a bit too personal :D

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 241
Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Thanked: 23 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:36 am
@ Vitalina, congratulations. I am considering applying to EBS, but i fear that my work exp might just not cut it. I have 3 years of work ex in the IT Sector. Any tips/ insight?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 116
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Thanked: 3 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670

by Vitalina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:12 pm
^^ Thanks :)
I think you might be good. I have 3 years fulltime from internatioal company, and my last position isonlyfor the lst 3 months, even though it sounds cool (Key Account Manager), I am sure it was not what persuaded them to give me a chance.
Do you have any interhips/parttime job yu culd add to your CV? I worked part time at Uni, and I am sure it's a huge plus that I have 6 years of experience, albeit not all ofte years are fulltime.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 10
Joined: 17 Jan 2010

by harshgoyal » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Hi money,

Do u have any idea about the ranking of IE business school, Spain for Masters in Management and Masters in Finance programs. Please let me know.

Thanx
Harsh
Harsh Goyal

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 241
Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Thanked: 23 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 pm
Vitalina wrote:^^ Thanks :)
I think you might be good. I have 3 years fulltime from internatioal company, and my last position isonlyfor the lst 3 months, even though it sounds cool (Key Account Manager), I am sure it was not what persuaded them to give me a chance.
Do you have any interhips/parttime job yu culd add to your CV? I worked part time at Uni, and I am sure it's a huge plus that I have 6 years of experience, albeit not all ofte years are fulltime.
sadly, no, i do not have any part time work ex that I could add to my profile. How soon after submitting your app did you have the interview? And how soon after that was your admission confirmed?
i was going through some material and it appears that the school comes under the Heriot-Watt University. Is this true?

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 241
Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Thanked: 23 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 pm
harshgoyal wrote:Hi money,

Do u have any idea about the ranking of IE business school, Spain for Masters in Management and Masters in Finance programs. Please let me know.

Thanx
Harsh
from what i've heard, though IE's MBA program is top notch and up there in the rankings, its Masters in Management/ Finance programs are not as renowned. ESADE would be a much much better choice for these programs

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

by uoebusiness » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 am
sars72 wrote:sadly, no, i do not have any part time work ex that I could add to my profile. How soon after submitting your app did you have the interview? And how soon after that was your admission confirmed?
i was going through some material and it appears that the school comes under the Heriot-Watt University. Is this true?
sars72 - Your are confusing the two main Business Schools within the Edinburgh area. EBS (Edinburgh Business School) falls under Heriot-Watt University and is therefore very different to the University of Edinburgh Business School (UEBS) that falls under the University of Edinburgh. This thread relates to the latter.

Hope this helps.