University of Edinburgh Business School 2010 Admit!

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by harshgoyal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 am
thanks sars.
Harsh Goyal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:670

by Vitalina » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 am
uoebusiness wrote:
sars72 wrote:sadly, no, i do not have any part time work ex that I could add to my profile. How soon after submitting your app did you have the interview? And how soon after that was your admission confirmed?
i was going through some material and it appears that the school comes under the Heriot-Watt University. Is this true?
sars72 - Your are confusing the two main Business Schools within the Edinburgh area. EBS (Edinburgh Business School) falls under Heriot-Watt University and is therefore very different to the University of Edinburgh Business School (UEBS) that falls under the University of Edinburgh. This thread relates to the latter.

Hope this helps.
Yep, that's correct.

GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 am
uoebusiness wrote:
sars72 wrote:sadly, no, i do not have any part time work ex that I could add to my profile. How soon after submitting your app did you have the interview? And how soon after that was your admission confirmed?
i was going through some material and it appears that the school comes under the Heriot-Watt University. Is this true?
sars72 - Your are confusing the two main Business Schools within the Edinburgh area. EBS (Edinburgh Business School) falls under Heriot-Watt University and is therefore very different to the University of Edinburgh Business School (UEBS) that falls under the University of Edinburgh. This thread relates to the latter.

Hope this helps.
oh.. thanks for pointing that out. I got a bit scared coz, again from what i've heard, Heriot-Watt's one of those shady institutes that market themselves a lot. Another one that comes to mind is HULT.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Clangorous » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm
@ Vitalina,

Thanks for sharing some information.

<<University of Edinburgh is truly great. I do think that their MBA programme is underrated. Focus on diversity is obvious, well, they picked me, I am a very unusual candidate
Career - wise: they focus on consulting, this is what I want to do post MBA. And the salary increases seem substantial, and I'll be honest, that's important for me )>>

Why do you think their MBA is underrated? Did you speak to any of the current students or (recent) alumni's (from 2009)?
What is the current scenario post MBA w.r.t jobs considering that the EU & US economies are still not so great when compared to their Asian counterparts?

Have you accepted the offer?

Regards,
Clangorous

by Vitalina » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 pm
Why is it underrated? Because University is top 20 in the world, faculty of business school is very good. The programme itself is quite international. employment rate and salary increase rate are very high. How it looks now because of crisis post-effects, I don't know. But when I graduate in December 2011, I am sure the world will be a different place.
I sent a message to one of the alumnis, who was very eager to talk to me, waiting for reply now.
Yes, I accepted my offer. Looking frantically for scholarships now :D

by Clangorous » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:55 am
Thanks Vitalina.

The University as a whole has a great history and the city is no doubt fantastic but the business school when compared to the university is relatively new. So rating the university as a whole would be different from rating the business school is what I feel. However the rankings this year as per FT is at 89 and the 3 year average ranking is 75 which is not bad.
Were you able to find the placement statistics for the University? Can you please share the data?

I hold an unconditional offer as well and hence so many questions. :)

by Vitalina » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:45 am
^^ I didn't see the distribution per industry/sector/company, but I checked info on FT and BW and the statistics looked good.
I am intrested in consulting after graduation, and the school has connections through alumni with consulting companies, which was important for me. It came up during the interview.
Yes, Uni itself is much more prominent than the school. But the school has been around and in top 100 for the last 10 years, which is not bad.
I'll maybe see you in Edinburgh then :) Good luck with decision making! ))

by olric » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm
I also got an unconditional offer from UEBS. I am trying to decide between Mannheim Business School and UEBS. I want to work in UK in technology arena after graduation. Mannheim seems to be a better program according to rankings, but I am not sure which one would be better to work in UK. Does anybody have any comments?

by Vitalina » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm
I don't know, to tell the truth. But yes, it seems logical that you decide to study somewhere where you want to settle down afterwards. I want to live in the UK, so I want to study there first.
I got in touch with one of the alumnus, she found a job in the UK, just as she wanted, after graduation.
But yeah, the school in Germany is a bit more prominent :)