Tricky Sc

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Tricky Sc

by Ozlemg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 am
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A. because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B. because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C. being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will

OA : D

My take away : [spoiler]It is very important to understand what is going on in the sentence instead of just memorizing certain rules or patterns to get the question correct. Gmac can surprize you!![/spoiler]
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:46 am
Ozlemg wrote:Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A. because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to - changes the intended meaning of the sentence
B. because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C. being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will----awkward & more over the idiom is likely to
D. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will

OA : D

My take away : [spoiler]It is very important to understand what is going on in the sentence instead of just memorizing certain rules or patterns to get the question correct. Gmac can surprize you!![/spoiler]
I agree completely with you ozlemg

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:03 am
Thanks for the question Ozlemg.
I picked D :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:11 am
GmatKiss wrote:Thanks for the question Ozlemg.
I picked D :)
@Gmatkiss

Well done!
You know how things work then
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 am
@Ozlemg, Most of the time am able to pick the right ones, But i am unable to explain/reason it with a grammatical rule. Is this fine :)

Comments welcome! TIA