Training is Important

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

Training is Important

by Dean Jones » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:00 am
Hi Guys,

I am having difficulty in solving the below mentioned problem.

Please help.

Improved technology and equipment often result in fewer injuries during high-risk activities such as rock climbing and scuba diving. But participant education also plays a large role in reducing the number of injuries sustained during these activities. People who are poorly trained in these activities run a much higher risk of injury even if provided with the latest and best equipment. Which of the following can be properly inferred from the information above?

"¢ Training is a more important safety factor than equipment in high-risk activities.
"¢ People who are properly trained in their activities do not sustain injuries.
"¢ The safety benefits of the latest equipment can be offset by inadequate preparation.
"¢ Rock climbing and scuba diving are more risky than any other activities.
"¢ People with the latest equipment often neglect proper training.

OA after some discussion

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by krishnakumar.ks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:03 pm
IMO C

Followed by:1 members

by rohit_gmat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:32 am
IMO C

was down with A & C ... took A out since it mentioned that one was better than the other (training is better than latest equipment).. this is definitely not supported by the passage since it never mentions the degree to which each one can reduce risks..

by Dean Jones » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:46 am
OA is C. But I am still not clear why the answer is not A. Can anyone please help?

by Dean Jones » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:22 am
Can anyone please explain why the answer is not A? Because the argument says that even with the use of the best equipments but without training could be dangerous.

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member

by vishubn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am
People who are poorly trained in these activities run a much higher risk of injury even if provided with the latest and best equipment.
key words to this is one i quote....

Training , equipment --- good activities, combined with Lack of training --- u still sustain injuries

no equipment , no tech --- good training --- still risky.... but again this is not mentioned -- denial test !

So inspite of both tech and Equipment , u can get injured ! so lack of training over rides the benefits of equipment and Tech
KILL !! DIE !! or BEAT my FEAR !!! de@D END!!