The second time

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

The second time

by iceman123 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:41 am
Hi Everyone,
I have learned a lot from so many people over here, especially Eric and the moderators. I am retaking my GMAT tomorrow. The first time around I got a 540 with two weeks of studying. I scored a 43 q and 22 v with a 4.5 on AWA. My second gmat retake is tomorrow, 30th april, I will post my score over here after I finish the test. This time, I was able to dedicate around a month to the test (with approx 4 hours a day of study).

I really wanted to write something as I have been reading so many of the post. I hope i do well this time around. I need a 600 to get into the school I want to. thanks

by iceman123 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:28 am
hi guys, I wrote the gmat i got a 600 on the dot (42 Q, 31 V), thats enough to get me into the business school I want to...DeGroote School of Business :) thanks again everyone for their help. Getting to the 600 with 3 weeks of studying,, was possible by all the resources I had available through this website.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by moneyman » Fri May 02, 2008 11:28 pm
Hi iceman,
Congrats on achieving your target score!! Can you pls tell me what are the resources you used from this website which helped you score 60 points more.

Thanks
Maxx

by iceman123 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:35 am
Hi Maxx, I was really disappointed to see a 540 score on the gmat on my first attempt. I knew that this score would not get me into my preferred mba school. I knew about beat the gmat site but I never used it. So after getting a 540, I started reading some of the posts here and I found out that Manhattan SC book is a really good book to improve on the sc part of the test.

I have a very strong background in both maths and english with a 3.9 gpa. So I kinda knew that as long as I have a good study plan and good resources I can do well. I didnt have a lot of time to study so I focused only on the English part for my second attempt.

I read the SC Sentence correction and I also downloaded Eric's flash cards. That was pretty much it. On the last seven days before the test, I wrote around 8 Cats.
Princereview: 590
... :590
:590
:590
Manhattonreview: 560
Manhattonreview: 650
Gmat Prep1: 690
Gmat Prep2: 710

For some reason i could never scored well on princetons review Cats.

I did a lot of pratice questions; I did all the questions in the OG guide.

You can make your own notes but I think that Eric's notes are good (I added my own notes to Erics note and made it a point to read everything before test day). On the test day make sure that you eat well. I had an energy drink before the Verbal section, and that really really helped me.

Use this site for motivation, also. Just look at the people over here who are getting 700s and high 600s. I told myself if someone can get 700 by studying 3 4 months, I can easily score over 600 in a months study. I was also noting down every single hour I studied and at the end of my study prep, I had studied around 80 hours for the test. I know I can get a better score but im very satisfied with the one I got.