The importance ... (Powerscore)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

The importance ... (Powerscore)

by towerSpider » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:38 am
The importance of the ozone layer to terrestrial animals is that it entirely filters out some wavelengths of light but lets others through. Holes in the ozone layer and the dangers associated with these holes are well documented. However, one danger that has not been given sufficient attention is that these holes could lead to severe eye damage for animals of many species.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the statements above, if they are true?

(A) All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact.
(B) Few species of animals live on a part of the earth's surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer.
(C) Some species of animals have eyes that will not suffer any damage when exposed to unfiltered sunlight.
(D) A single wavelength of sunlight can cause severe damage to the eyes of most species of animals.
(E) Some wavelengths of sunlight that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the earth's surface where there are holes in the ozone layer than where there are not.

Answer:E

My problem:

[spoiler]Hmmm....is this option not assuming that waves will occur ONLY WHERE there are holes? it's possible that hole occurs over Australia but attacks sheep in USA?[/spoiler]
People are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own mind.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 am
To me it seems both B and E are spported to certain extent. I would like to see arguemnt why B is decisevly wrong.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:16 pm
i dont see B coming into the picture at all !!

where does the arguement talk about animals not being threatened ?

it only talks about the animals being threatened.
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

by cyrwr1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:18 pm
B and D are wrong for sure and I got E correct but would like more explanation. Thanks

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:18 pm
1. Ozone filters out some but not all wavelengths of light
2. Holes in the ozone can be dangerous
3. The holes can lead to severe eye damage in animals

A. Incorrect. The passage never says this. Only some wavelengths are filtered and its possible that eye damage is caused by those that are let through.

B. Incorrect. The passage here talks about how the holes could lead to severe damage for animals. It doesnt say that all animals are affected. It could be that only one spot in the earth has a hole in the ozone where all those species would be hurt, but the animals in the rest of the world would be fine provided they dont wander into that area with the hole.

C. Incorrect. Again it never says this. We know that most can have sever damage. That means the rest could all suffer damage, its just not severe.

D. Incorrect. The passage never distinguishes between the amount of light that passes through and what those effects are.

E. Correct. The passage tells us that holes in the ozone lead to severe eye damage. E tells us that wavelengths that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the surface when there are holes. That must be true. If it was not true than it would mean the severe eye damage caused by light is not a byproduct of the holes in the ozone.

by cyrwr1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 am
Thanks for your explanation fitzgerald23!