Spicy

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm
caakash1430 wrote:Looking at all posts i m still confused on the answer...

What is the correct answer...D or E?

D Clearly adds Tongue as an extra piece of info not mentioned in Original sentence shouldn't it be discarded???
The correct answer should be D. Since the confusion is between D and E, I will focus compare these two choices only.

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature.

E is incorrect because of redundancy issue. E uses the structure - The reason for xyz is because abc. Clearly this is incorrect because the reason is not because of abc. The correct construction is:

1: xyz is because of abc. OR
2: the reason for xyz is abc.

Choice D corrects this error and uses the second construction. Now you are correct in saying that "on the tongue" is introduced in choice D. However, I believe this is really a typographical error. Most likely when the writers were creating this question, they may have included "on the tongue" in all the answer choices in some previous versions. But as they revised their questions, they may have missed to delete this from this choice D. GMAT typically never introduces errors in SC by introducing a new phrase in one of the choices. It may reword complete sentences but just adding a prepositional phrase is not at all likely. :)

Thanks,

Payal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by anirudhbhalotia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:39 pm
e-GMAT wrote:
caakash1430 wrote:Looking at all posts i m still confused on the answer...

What is the correct answer...D or E?

D Clearly adds Tongue as an extra piece of info not mentioned in Original sentence shouldn't it be discarded???
The correct answer should be D. Since the confusion is between D and E, I will focus compare these two choices only.

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature.

E is incorrect because of redundancy issue. E uses the structure - The reason for xyz is because abc. Clearly this is incorrect because the reason is not because of abc. The correct construction is:

1: xyz is because of abc. OR
2: the reason for xyz is abc.

Choice D corrects this error and uses the second construction. Now you are correct in saying that "on the tongue" is introduced in choice D. However, I believe this is really a typographical error. Most likely when the writers were creating this question, they may have included "on the tongue" in all the answer choices in some previous versions. But as they revised their questions, they may have missed to delete this from this choice D. GMAT typically never introduces errors in SC by introducing a new phrase in one of the choices. It may reword complete sentences but just adding a prepositional phrase is not at all likely. :)

Thanks,

Payal

So I guess the beauty or rather the answer is in the details!

Payal, just to make sure I understand this totally...you mentioned the reason is not because of chemicals....its sweat because of chemicals? But can we not say that the reason for sweat is because of the chemical?

I have a slight feeling I know what you mean, but something is still troubling me...can you explain it further?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:39 am
Consider these two simplified versions of the sentences:
reason for sweat is that they contain a chemical
->reason = that they contain a chemical. CORRECT
reason for sweat is because they contain a chemical
->the cause of reason = they contain a chemical. This is non-sensical.

I understand your predicament here. In spoken English, we typically say:
The reason I am tired is because I cleaned the house all day.
Technically this sentence is incorrect because it implies that
the cause of reason for being tired = I cleaned the house all day.
Whereas the meaning should be
Reason for being tired = I cleaned the house all day.
And hence the correct sentence should be:
The reason I am tired is that I cleaned the house all day.

This really is an issue of redundancy that leads to incorrect meaning. The issue at hand is similar to the issue in the following sentence:
His poor health condition was caused by due to stress.
Now obviously, this sentence is blatantly incorrect but notice why it is incorrect - we have used two agents of causality. This is exactly what we are doing in the sentence at hand. We are using two agents of causality - reason & because to express the same causality.

Thanks,

Payal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by anirudhbhalotia » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:37 am
e-GMAT wrote:Consider these two simplified versions of the sentences:
reason for sweat is that they contain a chemical
->reason = that they contain a chemical. CORRECT
reason for sweat is because they contain a chemical
->the cause of reason = they contain a chemical. This is non-sensical.

I understand your predicament here. In spoken English, we typically say:
The reason I am tired is because I cleaned the house all day.
Technically this sentence is incorrect because it implies that
the cause of reason for being tired = I cleaned the house all day.
Whereas the meaning should be
Reason for being tired = I cleaned the house all day.
And hence the correct sentence should be:
The reason I am tired is that I cleaned the house all day.

This really is an issue of redundancy that leads to incorrect meaning. The issue at hand is similar to the issue in the following sentence:
His poor health condition was caused by due to stress.
Now obviously, this sentence is blatantly incorrect but notice why it is incorrect - we have used two agents of causality. This is exactly what we are doing in the sentence at hand. We are using two agents of causality - reason & because to express the same causality.

Thanks,

Payal

aha!

So the term "reason" and "because" basically means the same thing and using both together is technically incorrect even though we may be using it in day to day conversation!

Thanks Payal!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:47 am
gmatjeet wrote:The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature; this stimulation sometimes results in the activation of certain biological cooling mechanisms, one of which is perspiration.

a. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature - Incorrect because pronoun "they" is used for food

b. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature - Incorrect because verb "makes" is used for foods

c. Certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature does - Incorrect because pronoun "they" is used for food

d. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth and on the tongue as does a rise in temperature - Correct

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature - Incorrect because pronoun "they" is used for food
I don't agree with the explanation provided for rejecting A,C & E

You have written that "Incorrect because pronoun "they" is used for food"

Definitely we can use "they" for "food"
Here we can't use because it creates an ambiguity.
Otherwise we can use "they" as a pronoun for food.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by anantarora » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:59 pm
I think this is an example of a bad question. D should've been a clear winner grammatically but since it adds an extra piece of information, it can't be. I am sure the real test is devoid of such ambiguities.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Shubhu@MBA » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:00 pm
The choice will surely between D & E. Others are ruled out because of incorrect usage of "they" or "makes".
D looks grammatically correct but it adds more description to the original sentence(tongue).
E keeps the original sentence intact but the use of The reason ..... because .... is surely not correct.

Please post the original answer & correct explanation. If D is the answer of this question than 1 of the rule of GMAT is violated.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:58 pm
mmslf75 wrote:The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature; this stimulation sometimes results in the activation of certain biological cooling mechanisms, one of which is perspiration.

a. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

b. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature

c. Certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature does

d. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth and on the tongue as does a rise in temperature

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

OA is D
Look for errors that are easy to spot and cannot be debated.

In A and B, the singular verb makes does not agree with its plural subject foods. Eliminate A and B.

Answer choice C incorrectly uses like to compare two actions: the way a chemical stimulates with the way a rise in temperature does. Like is used to compare nouns; as is used to compare actions. Eliminate C.

Answer choice E contains an error of redundancy: the reason....is because. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by jambo000 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am
IMO E

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by coolly01 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 am
mmslf75 wrote:The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature; this stimulation sometimes results in the activation of certain biological cooling mechanisms, one of which is perspiration.

a. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

b. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature

c. Certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature does

d. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth and on the tongue as does a rise in temperature

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

OA is D

Its mentioned in MGMAT forum that Pronoun ambiguity is tolerable to some extent on GMAT

Why A is rejected here ?

Are we looking at multiple errors for rejecting A...
MGMAT explanation says
the pronoun "they" has an ambiguous referent: it could refer either to "foods" or "people." and 2 other errors

Query is : If were to have only this pronoun error then would A be the right choice??

Source MGMAT CAT 3

Hi, I'll take D for 3 reasons
1. "the reason .... is that" not "is becuase", however you can say that "the reason why ... is because"
2. "the same nerves" -> the mouth and the tongue must be represented to make reference (the same nervers in these two parts)
3. "as" should be used in stead of "like"
- like is used to refer to subject (he sings like a singer),
- as is used to refer to object (He treats me as a baby)
Hope this help :D

by oldguy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 pm
D. foods "make" and reason is "that".

not a,b -- "makes", not c,e "because"

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 pm
thanks Mitch..

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm
D. :) despite lots of "That" I figured it out.. :).. Classic example of Subject verb tracking..
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

by rahul_gaur » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:11 am
A and B are ruled out because "makes" caanot be used for plural (foods)
C has incorrect usage of the word "like"
E is incorrect because the word "they" creates ambiguity. Is it referring to "some people" or the "spicy foods"???

Correct answer according to me is D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by earnest10 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 pm

OA is D

Its mentioned in MGMAT forum that Pronoun ambiguity is tolerable to some extent on GMAT

Why A is rejected here ?

Are we looking at multiple errors for rejecting A...
MGMAT explanation says
the pronoun "they" has an ambiguous referent: it could refer either to "foods" or "people." and 2 other errors

Query is : If were to have only this pronoun error then would A be the right choice??

I will go with D ...

Source MGMAT CAT 3