Speed limit - long one!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by wiut » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:04 am
I saw this question yesterday on Grockit. I chose E, which turned to be the correct answer. My grounding for E was that it's the only choice that correctly (from my point of view) defines THE FIGHT and not the Speed Limit to be a problem....maybe I was just lucky, because after looking through the opinions of others, it seems like this option is not much welcomed. Therefore, it would be great if any Expert provides his/her opinion on this matter. Thank you!

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 am
yes was a call between B and E. I don't know why i chose E... I guess I saw the word 'by' in E and made up my mind that B was better....
I agree E is the right answer.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

by nikmahes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:15 am
My answer would be B. All the four other options modify the wrong subject. Only B modifies the right subject - "fight".

by sadikus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 am
Answer: A

The focus here is over the "fight over the speed limit" clause. So B & C eliminated right away. Also in C the correct usage should be "meddling with".

D has an active voice, hence not preferred over the passive voice.

E goes out of topic by including unacceptable "measure of..." Most improbable answer!!!

by ManKuts123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 am
(A) Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

A is wrong since there is misplaced modifier -> as Regarded as X and as Y, fight over speed .. Fight modifies Y (a conserver of life and energy). Regarded is modifying Speed Limit Not the fight

C) Regarded by opponents as ineffective meddling and by supporters as the conservation of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.

C is wrong since it mentions inffective meddling - changes the meaning of the sentence

(B) Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.

B is wrong since changes the tense of verb - fought.. continues to be fought is ackward

Answer is E

The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

by whirlwind » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:50 pm
BTG says that the right answer is E.
However, Knewton says that the correct answer is B.

https://www.bschooladmissionsformula.com ... orrection/

Thoughts?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by GHong14 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:20 pm
Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

A. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
B. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
C. Regarded by opponents as ineffective meddling and by supporters as the conservation of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
D. The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
E. The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

Here A is incorrect because the it is NOT the fight over speed limit that is considered ineffective and meddlesome, it is the speed limit itself.

B and C resolves the modifier problem that is present in answer A however, "the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures" is confusing. It makes much more sense if the fight is fought over "by our legislatures."

It comes down between D and E. Again D is incorrect because it is NOT the fight over the speed limit that is regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome it is the speed limit aka the measure. Only E clarifies this by specifically stating "the measure....
"

by jambo000 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 am
IMO E

by anirudhsoi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:26 pm
IMO : B.

by yogesh garg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 am
Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

A. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways. - Wrong modifier, "Regarded by ..." should modify speed limit not the fight
B. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways. - Wrong, passive wise statement
C. Regarded by opponents as ineffective meddling and by supporters as the conservation of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways. - Wrong, passive wise statement
D. The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways. -grammatically correct but modifier generates ambiguity for noun
E. The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways. - Correct answer, modifier ambiguity is clearly removed by using appositive "a measure"(fight can't be a measure). Most of the sentence with appositive are always correct.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by earnest10 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:17 am
DanaJ wrote:Source: Beat The GMAT Practice Questions

A. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
B. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
C. Regarded by opponents as ineffective meddling and by supporters as the conservation of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
D. The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
E. The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

E is the answer... because the fight over the speed limit is clearly modified by .... "a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by coolly01 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 pm
DanaJ wrote:Source: Beat The GMAT Practice Questions

My take is C
Because "regard" someting as something

OA after some replies!

by DarylB » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 am
DanaJ wrote:So the OA here is E!

@uwhusky: just stumbled upon it in the Beat The GMAT Practice Questions... While I don't have a specific set of questions with modifiers, I have seen quite a few in this resource, especially one really tough one with Italians and Slavs... If I find it again, I'll post it!

Anyway, here's my take on this question:

So the way it's structured right now, the modifier is incorrectly placed (as many of you have noticed). It's not the "fight over the speed limit" that's meddlesome or a conserver of life and energy, it's the speed limit itself. We need to find the answer choice that correctly attaches the modifier ("Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy") to its correct noun ("speed limit"). This way, we can eliminate A for sure. D is also wrong because of the same reason: incorrectly placed modifier.

C is wrong because there's no parallelism between "ineffective meddling" (verb) and "the conservation of life and energy" (noun). Also, the use of "the" in bold is unnecessary. "The" suggests that the speed limit is "the one and only" (to quote a song :D) saver of energy and life, which is obviously not the case - I can think of a million other things that can save more lives and energy :)

Now, you guys have successfully narrowed it down to B and E... E is better here because of the use of the passive voice in B. In general, you should avoid the passive voice in the GMAT, because it's considered wordy. "To be fought over" is also pretty vague - who fights over it? The official explanation also cites "a pile-up of prepositions" in "to be fought over in".
Not fond of this explanation as to why E is better than B. There is no logical or grammatical reason why B is wrong, just style.

I understand E is the "correct" answer, but it is poorly worded and has a weak antecedent. The clause beginning "a measure..." should refer to the speed limit, and the verb "continues..." should refer to the fight. It is left to the reader to deduce that "the fight" is not a measure and "the speed limit" does not continue in our legislatures; the structure of the sentence doesn't make that explicit.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28 am
DarylB wrote: Not fond of this explanation as to why E is better than B. There is no logical or grammatical reason why B is wrong, just style.
"Wrong because of style" on the GMAT is still wrong on the GMAT. It is a less enjoyable aspect of the test for people who are more familiar and comfortable with English.

by oldguy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am