some nice kaplan CRs i wanna share you

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members
i just wanna share you some nice and good CR to practice...sorry because i dont post each question in each topic . my laptop is having virus.

1. the proliferation of colloquiatisms is degrading the English language. A phrase such as she was like, "no way!" you know?-a meaningless collection of English words just as few decades ago-is commonly understood by most today to mean "she was doubtful". No language can admit imprecise word usage on a large scale without a corresponding decrease in quality

which of the following is true most weaken the argument above

A. linguists have shown that the use of imprecise language on a small scale does not generally impair understanding.
B. many colloquialisms that appeared in earlier forms of the english language disappeared over time as the people who used those particular phrasings wee assimilated into larger groups with different language patterns
C. dissemination of a new word or phrase by the mass media is an important factor in whether or not the new word or phrase will become a colloquialism
D. colloquialism are more likely to be coined by the youth in a culture than by any other sigment of the population.
E. languages of the highest quality often evolve over time out of collection of colloquial usages woven into the foremal dialect of a given people.

[spoiler]OA: E[/spoiler]

2. General: the commander of the Air Force has recommended that we deploy the G28 aircraft in the reconnaissance mission, because the G28 can fly lower to the ground without being detected and could therefore retrieve the necessary information more efficiently than the currently stationed D12. But the D12 is already in the area and poised for takeoff, and would have just enough time to accomplish the mission if deployed immediately, while the G28 would require four days just to arrive in the area and get outfitted for the mission. Since the mission's deadline is immovable, i am forced to overrule the commander's recommendation and order the deployment of the D12.

which of the following is assumed in the general's argument?

A. the quality of information retrieved from the mission would be higher if the D12 were deployed than if the G28 were deployed
B. By the time the G28 arrived in the area and was outfitted for the mission the D12 would have already completed the mission if deployed immediately
C. The ability of an aircraft to fly low to the ground is not a significant consideration when choosing aircraft for a reconnaissanse mission.
D. it would take longer for any aircraft not currently in the area besides the G28 to arrive in the area and get outfitted for the mission
E. Any time saved during the mission due to the operation of the more efficient G28 would not offset the additional time required to deployed the G28.
[spoiler][spoiler]
OA: E[/spoiler][/spoiler]

3. The incidence of suicide in the country Y has increased dramatically in recent years, as evidenced by the fact that since the introduction of several nonprescription brands of sleeping pills, the numbers of deaths from overdoses alone has nearly doubled. However,certain types of suicides have seen a greater than 70 percent increase, but teen suicides now account for only 30 percent of all suicides in the country. This is a significant decrease over 1985, when teen cases represented 65 percent of all country wide suicides...

the argument above is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it does which of the following?

A. it discounts the possibility of suicides occurring in groups other than the elderly and teens
B. It takes for granted that the introduction of nonprescription sleeping pill has had the same effect on two different demographic groups.
C. it assumes that a decrease in the percentage of teen suicides necessarily signifies a decrease in the number of teen suicides.
D. it overlooks the possibility that the total number of deaths in country Y has increased since 1985
E. it relies on evidence that contradicts its conclusion.

OA. C.

4. A study found that last year roughly 6700 homeless people in the US were admitted to hospitals due to malnutrition. In the same year, a little more than 7200 nonhomeless people were admitted to hospitals for the same reason. these findings clearly show that the nonhomeless are more likely to suffer from malnutrition than are the homeless.

the answer to which of the following questions would be most likely to point out the illogical nature of the conclusion drawn above?

A. what is the relative level of severity of the malnutrition suffered by each group in the study?
B. to what extent, on average, are the nonhomeless better off financially than are the homeless
C. to what extent are the causes of malnutrition in the nonhomeless related to ignorance of proper dietary habits
D what percentage of each group cited in the study suffered from malnutrition last year
E. what effect would a large increase in the number of homeless shelters have on the incidence of malnutrition among the homeless?

[spoiler]OA:D[/spoiler]

5. Psychologist who wish to have one of their book reviews nominated for the prestigious Boatwright Psychology Review award should not submit book review articles that review more than three books at a time. this is because editors for the Boatwright Psychology Review will not publish a book review articles if its too lengthy and cumbersome to read. in their submission guidelines, the editors explicitly state that review articles that cover more than 3 books at a time are considered too lengthy and cumbersome to read.

which of the following statements represents an assumption upon which the argument above depends?

A. the books review articles that covers the most books must be the lengthiest and most cumbersome article to read.
B. if a book review article is published in the Boatwright Psychology Review that article will receive the prestigious Boatwright Psychology Review.
C. All articles published in the Boatwright Psychology Review must be limited to a certain length specified by the editors.
D. the Boatwright Psychology Review editors generally prefer book review articles that cover one book rather than 2 books.
E. to be nominated for the boatwright psychology review award a psychologist's book review article must be published in the boatwright psychology review.

[spoiler]OA;E[/spoiler]

6. An international study recently examined the effects of second hand smoke on health. surprisingly, although the dosages of harmful chemicals form second hand smoke are so small that their effect should be negligible, the study found that nonsmoking souses of smokers displayed an incidence of heart disease that was significantly greater than that of nonsmokers who were not as regularly exposed to second hand smoke.

Each of the following if true could contribute to an explanation of the unexpectedly high incidence of heart disease in smoker's spouses EXCEPT:

A. A disproportionately high number of people married to smokers are among the older segment of the married population, a group that inherently has a higher than average risk of heart disease
B. on average, more alcohol and coffee both of which have been linked to heart disease, are consumed in the homes of smokers than in the homes of nonsmokers.
C. A disproportionately high number of smokers are married to other smokers and the risk of heart disease increases in proportion to the number of smokers living in a household.
D, Smokers generally tend to live in higher stress environments than do non smokers and stress is a factor associated with above average incidence of heart disease.
A disproportionately high number of smokers live in areas with a high level of industrial pollutants, which have been shown to be a factor in increased risk of heart disease.

[spoiler] OA: C[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ashokkadam » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:49 am
thanks!!
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by this_time_i_will » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:49 am
would hav been great, had u put each in a different post. People wud have discussed every question in detail.
Thanks anyway!

Legendary Member

by diebeatsthegmat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:01 pm
this_time_i_will wrote:would hav been great, had u put each in a different post. People wud have discussed every question in detail.
Thanks anyway!
]

well, i just think these CR are nice and those types are popular thus i wanna share then you can have more material to practice and its a good thing... as i said earlier, my computer got virus... the less the computer functions the less i have to booot computer...
i dont need you, guy to give me details to answer the questions bebcause as i said earlier, i jsut wanted to share, not wanted the answer and explaination

Legendary Member

by diebeatsthegmat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:22 pm
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
this_time_i_will wrote:would hav been great, had u put each in a different post. People wud have discussed every question in detail.
Thanks anyway!
]

well, i just think these CR are nice and those types are popular thus i wanna share then you can have more material to practice and its a good thing... as i said earlier, my computer got virus... the less the computer functions the less i have to booot computer...
i dont need you, guy to give me details to answer the questions bebcause as i said earlier, i jsut wanted to share, not wanted the answer and explaination
maybe i am a bit mean... sorry....but dont ask too much,,,, there is a limit. it took me 30 minutes to type you guys those question,..

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 am
You have done a wonderful job by putting related questions in one post. All questions are good practise .

Appreciate!