Smithtown:good one

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Smithtown:good one

by zaarathelab » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:06 am
Smithtown University's fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the
potential donors they contacted. This success rate, exceptionally high for university fundraisers,
does not indicate that they were doing a good job. On the contrary, since the people
most likely to donate are those who have donated in the past, good fund-raisers constantly try
less-likely prospects in an effort to expand the donor base. The high success rate shows
insufficient canvassing effort. Which of the following, if true, provides more support for
the argument?

A. Smithtown University's fund-raisers were successful in their contacts with potential donors who
had never given before about as frequently as were fund-raisers for other universities in their
contacts with such people.
B. This year the average size of the donations to Smithtown University from new donors when
the university's fund-raisers had contacted was larger than the average size of donations from
donors who had given to the university before.
C. This year most of the donations that came to Smithtown University from people who had
previously donated to it were made without the university's fund-raisers having made any
contact with the donors.
D. The majority of the donations that fund-raisers succeeded in getting for Smithtown University
this year were from donors who had never given to the university before.
E. More than half of the money raised by Smithtown University's fund-raisers came from donors
who had never previously donated to the university.
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:18 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ananthakrishnan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:18 am
IMO Option C.

This directly supports the point that the university fund raisers were not doing a good job.

OA pls.