SINGULAR vs PLURAL

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

SINGULAR vs PLURAL

by vishalwin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:26 pm
Some scientists have been critical of the laboratory tests conducted by the Federal Drug Administration on the grounds that the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceeds those that humans could consume.

A. far exceeds those that humans could consume
B. exceeds by far those humans can consume
C. far exceeds those humans are able to consume
D. exceed by far those able to be consumed by humans
E. far exceed those that humans could consume

HERE, the amounts of suspected carcinogens SHOULD BE PLURAL ...RIGHT?

the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceeds

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

a)
b) exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes
c) exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
d) exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
e) exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

The list of animals ---- IS SINGULAR....RIGHT?

SO WE NEED EXHIBITS...?

The list of animals that exhibit
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:02 am
vishalwin wrote:Some scientists have been critical of the laboratory tests conducted by the Federal Drug Administration on the grounds that the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceeds those that humans could consume.

A. far exceeds those that humans could consume
B. exceeds by far those humans can consume
C. far exceeds those humans are able to consume
D. exceed by far those able to be consumed by humans
E. far exceed those that humans could consume

HERE, the amounts of suspected carcinogens SHOULD BE PLURAL ...RIGHT?

the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceeds

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

a)
b) exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes
c) exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
d) exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
e) exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

The list of animals ---- IS SINGULAR....RIGHT?

SO WE NEED EXHIBITS...?

The list of animals that exhibit
We have two different constructions here.

In this first case: "the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceed," the portion in green represents a prepositional modifier, and the bolded words represent the main subject and verb. Amounts exceed.

In the second case "The list of animals that exhibit a preference....has been expanded "
the main subject and verb pairing is in bold: the list has been expanded. The red portion represents a relative clause modifying animals. Think about it logically. Animals exhibit a preference. (Lists do not. Unless they are strange, terrifying robot lists that we've somehow programmed to have preferences :))
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course