Seriously Struggling- Stuck at 600s- Please help!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone-
Looking for some advice. I'm retaking the exam in 6 weeks and each of my practice scores are around Q40, V33. I was actually supposed to take it a week from today but I rescheduled at the last minute since I don't think it is possible to raise my score by 100+ points in 7 days.

On Verbal I'm struggling with Critical Reasoning and sentence correction.
On Quant, I'm doing ok, but it seems like I'm not getting the more difficult questions that will allow me to get a higher score.

Also- are there certain tests I should be taking? I've taken GMAT Prep and Veritas Prep Stimulator review. I've also been studying on Grockit and their prediction is 610, with a V35, Q39, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I'm aiming for V40, Q48.

Please help me out. I'm really not sure what to do to improve. Now that I have 6 additional weeks, I feel like I really need to focus and get some results.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:15 am
ElementsofGMATStyle wrote:Hi Everyone-
Looking for some advice. I'm retaking the exam in 6 weeks and each of my practice scores are around Q40, V33. I was actually supposed to take it a week from today but I rescheduled at the last minute since I don't think it is possible to raise my score by 100+ points in 7 days.

On Quant, I'm doing ok, but it seems like I'm not getting the more difficult questions that will allow me to get a higher score.

Also- are there certain tests I should be taking? I've taken GMAT Prep and Veritas Prep Stimulator review. I've also been studying on Grockit and their prediction is 610, with a V35, Q39, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I'm aiming for V40, Q48.

Please help me out. I'm really not sure what to do to improve. Now that I have 6 additional weeks, I feel like I really need to focus and get some results.

Thanks!

Hi mate

You have not mentioned which books are you refering , Hower i would suggest You to take many full length diagnotic test availble ...manhattan and kaplan are the best source in terms of toughest quant.

All all gmat book publishers have one full lenght mock test ..also oyu can reinstall gmat prep again and again to get new set of practice ques.

Leme know if any other prob u facing.

Chaw

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ElementsofGMATStyle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 am
Hi Chaw

I'll check out Manhattan and Kaplan for the tests. Can I just purchase the diagnostic tests without purchasing the classes? Thanks for the suggestion!
Strategy wise-I've been using the Veritas Prep books to study from (I took the course this past spring) and I am completing the practice problems on the GMAT iphone App (from GMAC) and the GMAT Tool kit iPhone app, but I'm stuck at this current score for months.

Are there other books/tools that would help me get over this hump?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by XLogic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm
ElementsofGMATStyle wrote:Hi Everyone-

For CR:
1. How comfortable are you with each question type?
2. Do you have a general strategy for each question type?
3. During your CR review, do you categorize wrong answers?

#3 helped me eliminate wrong answer choices faster. I'm still working on #1 and #2.
Note: If you haven't already, watch "Thursday's with Ron" CR videos. Very useful insights.
> https://vimeo.com/23553403 (Inference Q's)
> https://vimeo.com/26634325 (CR with blanks)

For SC:
1. Do you understand most of the rules well enough to explain it to others?
2. Do you test your memory on common GMAT idioms often?

This used to be my best section, but now I'm falling behind. These questions apply to me too. Brushing up on #1 by attempting to explain stuff in the SC forum

For RC:
I guess you are good to go here. So these questions are for me.

1. Do you focus too much on detail or more on Structure/main-point of passage?
2. During review, Do you categorize wrong answer choices?

I'm still working on #1. i.e, What's the point, organization of paragraphs, how is point supported? Recently received advice to supplement my RC prep with outside sources. e.g., the economist, scientific american etc.

Good Luck :-)
my post helped --> thank me!
don't thank me --> my post = what the..??