(C) glaciers are the cool, moist middle latitudes
rather than the cold, dry polar regions
(D) glaciers, instead of being the cold, dry polar
regions, would be the cool, moist middle
latitudes
(E) glaciers are, instead of the cold, dry polar
regions, rather the cool, moist middle
latitudes

I marked C.....I wanted to know why that is incorrect?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 am
Hi RiyaR,

Answer C is almost correct! Of course, almost correct is the same as NOT correct. But you're on the right track in narrowing down the correct answer by eliminating the incorrect ones (A, D and E). Let's look at the two remaining answers. The difference between B and C is the placement of the clause that describes the region where the glaciers are found:

"where there is abundant precipitation and where it is cold enough to allow some snow to accumulate year by year."

We want this description to be closest in the sentence to the region it describes.

In answer B, this description is close to the region "moist middle latitudes," and in C it is close to "cold, dry polar regions," as follows:

(B) glaciers are not the cold, dry polar regions but the cool, moist middle latitudes, where there is abundant precipitation and where it is cold enough to allow some snow to accumulate year by year.

(C) glaciers are the cool, moist middle latitudes rather than the cold, dry polar regions, where there is abundant precipitation and where it is cold enough to allow some snow to accumulate year by year.

We can see that answer B is correct, because it makes sense that the moist middle latitudes have an abundance of precipitation and it is cold enough to leave snow on the ground to build up over the years. Conversely, it does NOT make sense that cold, dry polar regions have abundant precipitation. Dry regions are dry, i.e. they do NOT have abundant precipitation.

I hope this helps!