Second MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Second MBA

by abhinav2601 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 pm
Hi

I am an Engineering graduate and an MBA from 2nd Tier college in India.
I did my MBA fresh from my engineering graduation.
I have about 7 years experience in IT sales and marketing.
I want to move into strategic marketing / consulting field and therefore would like to pursue a 2nd MBA from one of Top B schools in US or Europe.

Can you please advice, if 2nd MBA would be viewed as negative or positive in my evaluation by Top B schools. Which B schools are more open to people who have similar profiles like me.

Thanks

Regards

Abhinav

Re: Second MBA

by abhinav2601 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:40 pm
Nikhil

Can you please help and respond to the question below.

Thanks
Best Regards
abhi
abhinav2601 wrote:Hi

I am an Engineering graduate and an MBA from 2nd Tier college in India.
I did my MBA fresh from my engineering graduation.
I have about 7 years experience in IT sales and marketing.
I want to move into strategic marketing / consulting field and therefore would like to pursue a 2nd MBA from one of Top B schools in US or Europe.

Can you please advice, if 2nd MBA would be viewed as negative or positive in my evaluation by Top B schools. Which B schools are more open to people who have similar profiles like me.

Thanks

Regards

Abhinav

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:14 pm
Thanks for your post.

As you know, it is hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview.

One thing to consider, you are (unfortunately) in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT background. Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you different from the thousands of Indian IT applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar backgrounds.

To be honest, I am not sure how AdCom will look at your candidacy based on your second MBA. But I do not believe it will give you any advantage

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by abhinav2601 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:51 am
Thanks Nikhil for your reply. As mentioned by you I understand that my earlier MBA is not going to give me any advantage but do you think it will be viewed as negative or neutral.

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 am
IMHO, I think it will be seen as a negative. Adcom may argue that if you already have an MBA, why do you need another one?

Regards,

NP

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbaprocrastinator » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:49 pm
Nikhil,

Based on your experience in the consulting industry and on your past experience in applying to B-school, do adcom's regard Indian citizens who have a degree in engineering but work in a non-IT field as the typical stereotype (for lack of better word)?

Any input/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:14 pm
Hi MBAP,

Yes and no. It also depends on your work experience and career interests. For example, if you have an engineering background yet worked in non-profit management for 4 years and wish to continue in social interest work, then you would be considered in a different applicant pool. However, as an international student (particularly from India/China) you are still in a competitive applicant pool.

Hope that helps -

NP

by rdx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 am
Nikhil, Thank you for answering our questions over here !

I agree with your assessment that the 'prior MBA' might turn out to be detrimental in one's candidacy to a foreign MBA program. Is the same true, however, if say I have done a Masters in Management (Eg - MS in Engineering Management at Stanford, MSc in Management at LSE etc) and then apply for an MBA?

Thanks for your time !

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:47 pm
Hi Rdx,
A non-MBA masters is fine. In fact, a good number of applicants have graduate degrees (including Eng, Law, MD).

Good luck,

NP

by rdx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am
VP_MBA_Guru wrote: A non-MBA masters is fine. In fact, a good number of applicants have graduate degrees (including Eng, Law, MD).
Jeez, Am I so happy to hear that, NP. So, just to put my mind to rest :) , holding an MSc in Management (or the like) will not be held against you by the adcom ??
The reason I just rephrased my question is because I am pursuing an MSc in Management right now and, in a couple of years I intend to enroll for an MBA to take my career one notch higher.

Another question - Which schools in the US are known to be renowned for their Strategy consulting courses (in the same way that Stern and Columbia are known to be THE places for 'fin').

Once again, thanks for taking time out to answer all our questions.