Searching for opinions.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Searching for opinions.

by hwiya320 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm
First of all, thank you for your helpful site. I'm preparing my Georgetown essays and I found your site very helpful.

Could you please review my profile and maybe share some feedback?

Profile:
-27 year old Asian male

Education
-BA in Industrial Engineering Technology from state university
-3.49 overall GPA, 3.8 Major GPA
-4 Dean's list
(It did take me 6 years to graduate. I transferred from different university and had to make up for non-transferred courses) I did horrible as fresh/sophomore year. I didn't have a true purpose of going to school, then realized what I wanted to do and transferred to engineering school. With clear goal in mind, I was able to obtain 4 dean's list and graduated with 3.8 major GPA.

Work Experience
-2 internships during school as Quality Engineering intern at Acuity Brand and Engineering intern at Genuine Parts Company.
-4.5 years of post graduate experience by Fall/2010 for fortune 500 company. Here is the list of my progress.
1. Brake Engineer - Brake Shoes
2. Brake Engineer - Brake shoes and Caliper (promotion - More responsibilities from additional product line)
3. Inventory and Logistic Analyst - (managing $250mil inventory movement)
4. Product Information Manager + #3
5. Product Information/Pricing Manager (recent promotion) +#3

I was the "job consolidation" guy at work. With ability to put different hat on and showing my capabilities to handle different functions, I was continuously promoted and consolidated different jobs into one (i.e. Product Data management + Pricing). I came from Engineering background to management position.

I am also helping my parents with their small businesses (2 stores). Although I do not run the business, I manage the property, client database, lease.. etc

Extra Curricular
-Youth Mentor/Bible Study teacher - 03-09 (one of my biggest passion and joy)
-Active member of Institute of Industrial Engineer
-Active member of Society of Automotive Engineer

GMAT: 680 with 5.5 on both essays

Goal: Georgetown University, Emory University, UNC and Georgia Tech

I like to see how competitive I am for these schools as I understand they are very good schools.
Thank you so much,
Time to beat the GMAT again.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

Re: Searching for opinions.

by Linda Abraham » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:15 pm
hwiya320 wrote:First of all, thank you for your helpful site. I'm preparing my Georgetown essays and I found your site very helpful.

Could you please review my profile and maybe share some feedback?

Profile:
-27 year old Asian male

Education
-BA in Industrial Engineering Technology from state university
-3.49 overall GPA, 3.8 Major GPA
-4 Dean's list
(It did take me 6 years to graduate. I transferred from different university and had to make up for non-transferred courses) I did horrible as fresh/sophomore year. I didn't have a true purpose of going to school, then realized what I wanted to do and transferred to engineering school. With clear goal in mind, I was able to obtain 4 dean's list and graduated with 3.8 major GPA.

Work Experience
-2 internships during school as Quality Engineering intern at Acuity Brand and Engineering intern at Genuine Parts Company.
-4.5 years of post graduate experience by Fall/2010 for fortune 500 company. Here is the list of my progress.
1. Brake Engineer - Brake Shoes
2. Brake Engineer - Brake shoes and Caliper (promotion - More responsibilities from additional product line)
3. Inventory and Logistic Analyst - (managing $250mil inventory movement)
4. Product Information Manager + #3
5. Product Information/Pricing Manager (recent promotion) +#3

I was the "job consolidation" guy at work. With ability to put different hat on and showing my capabilities to handle different functions, I was continuously promoted and consolidated different jobs into one (i.e. Product Data management + Pricing). I came from Engineering background to management position.

I am also helping my parents with their small businesses (2 stores). Although I do not run the business, I manage the property, client database, lease.. etc

Extra Curricular
-Youth Mentor/Bible Study teacher - 03-09 (one of my biggest passion and joy)
-Active member of Institute of Industrial Engineer
-Active member of Society of Automotive Engineer

GMAT: 680 with 5.5 on both essays

Goal: Georgetown University, Emory University, UNC and Georgia Tech

I like to see how competitive I am for these schools as I understand they are very good schools.
Thank you so much,
You have a competitive profile for all the programs on your list. If you have good essays, letters of rec, and interviews, I am optimistic that you will be invited to join the class of 2011 at one of them.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook