Seamus Heaney

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Seamus Heaney

by j_shreyans » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 am
Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won a number of prizes for his work, including the Nobel Prize in Literature and two Whitbread Book of the Year awards.

A)Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won a number of prizes for his work, including

B)The number of prizes won by Irish poet Seamus Heaney include

C)Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won numbers of prizes for his work, including

D)The numbers of prizes won by Irish poet Seamus Heaney include

E)Seamus Heaney's Irish poetry has won a number of prizes for him, including

OAA

I got this one right. I just need to clear one thing that in OA COMMA+ VERBing rule is applicable , if yes or no please explain.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 pm
Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won a number of prizes for his work, including the Nobel Prize in Literature and two Whitbread Book of the Year awards.

A)Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won a number of prizes for his work, including
Correct. ",including the Nobel prize..." is descriptive modifier and is correct terminology.

B)The number of prizes won by Irish poet Seamus Heaney include
Wrong. The number of ... requires a singular verb.

C)Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won numbers of prizes for his work, including
Wrong. Numbers is not correct terminology.

D)The numbers of prizes won by Irish poet Seamus Heaney include
Wrong. Numbers is not correct terminology.

E)Seamus Heaney's Irish poetry has won a number of prizes for him, including
Wrong. Irish poetry changes the meaning of the intended sentence.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:34 pm
I guess there is a problem with choice A. Ing-modifier modifies the subject of the preceeding clause. So here it nonsensically modifies The Poet.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by x.dominicraj » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:55 am
In option A the verb-ing modifier rule ie. following a clause with a comma applies, it rightly modifies the preceding clause.

In options B "the number" cant include the prizes...so its wrong.

In C and D we have "numbers of prizes"

In E... nothing is told about the type of poetry as per main question.. So it is also wrong.

Regards.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:51 am
j_shreyans wrote:I just need to clear one thing that in OA COMMA+ VERBing rule is applicable
Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to modify the nearest preceding SUBJECT AND VERB, expressing an action that is attributed to the nearest preceding subject and that happens at the same time as or as a result of the nearest preceding action.
Here, it could be argued that COMMA + including serves to modify Irish poet Seamus Heaney has won (the preceding subject and verb).
Conveyed meaning:
When IRISH POET SEAMUS HEANEY WON a number of prizes, he was at the same time INCLUDING among these prizes the Nobel Prize in Literature and two Whitbread Book of the Year awards.

That said, some dictionaries classify including as a PREPOSITION that serves to introduces EXAMPLES of the nearest preceding plural noun.
Here, COMMA + including introduces examples of the PRIZES won by Irish poet Seamus Heaney.
I recommend applying this rule to COMMA + including: it must serve to introduce examples of the nearest preceding plural noun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by j_shreyans » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:49 am
Hi GMATGuru ,

Thanks for the explanation.

I need some questions where COMMA+VERBing modifier is used. Can you please give some links so that I can practice.

Thanks,