Score: 710 (Q46, V41), Retake GMAT?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Score: 710 (Q46, V41), Retake GMAT?

by icecold14422 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:33 am
Hi everyone,

I took the GMAT today, going in knowing I did pretty well on my last two practice CATs (MGMAT:740 & GMATPrep: 740); however, today I only got a 710 with a pretty low quant score. I'm pretty bummed out (kicking myself for not just getting 10-20 higher and saving me this headache), but looking into my options. I wanted to ask if I should consider retaking my GMAT? I am a new college-grad who spent his summer studying for the test/working part-time. I will be going on a backpacking trip through Southeast Asia for the next 3 months before I start work, and really don't want to stress out about the GMAT anymore, but want to know if it's in my best interest to close the book on the GMAT for good or not.

I am aiming for the top b-schools (HBS, GBS, etc.) and plan to apply in 3 years. I essentially want to know this: Will my chances of getting into these schools increase with a score of say 730 or 740? I have heard conflicting things such as the GMAT is just a checkbox once it is 700+ vs. every point matters.

Below is my general profile:
General Background: (East) Asian-American Male
Program of Interest: MBA FT
Area of Interest: Strategy, Consulting
GPA: 3.8 in economics & international relations at a good U.S. private school (think USC, NYU, Tufts), magna cum laude (top 10%)
Work Experience: (Incoming Analyst) at Deloitte S&O, plan to take advantage of GSAP program in 3 years

Extracurriculars:
-Strong experience volunteering as a teacher local high schools with at-risk students promoting political action
-VP of Business Fraternity
-Secretary of club relevant to major

Give it to me straight, I want to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 pm
Retake the GMAT.

At top schools, a low score can keep an applicant out, but a high score doesn't get one in on its own. The schools you're targeting have average scores in the range of 730 and there is no dearth of people applying with super-high scores.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 pm
Yes it matters. A lot. Plus you have 3 years! Retake until you get a 740 :)

You're off to an excellent start!
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:16 pm
icecold14422 wrote:Hi everyone,
Hate to break it to you... but try again! If you can score 740 you should get that score as it will set you up with more options than the 710. 710 is a great score- but if you want to be in better position for potential scholarships and also admits to top programs (average GMAT at GSB is 740!) then you want to take it again while it is fresh on your mind! Take a week off for a pity party and then hit the books again! Best wishes!

I took the GMAT today, going in knowing I did pretty well on my last two practice CATs (MGMAT:740 & GMATPrep: 740); however, today I only got a 710 with a pretty low quant score. I'm pretty bummed out (kicking myself for not just getting 10-20 higher and saving me this headache), but looking into my options. I wanted to ask if I should consider retaking my GMAT? I am a new college-grad who spent his summer studying for the test/working part-time. I will be going on a backpacking trip through Southeast Asia for the next 3 months before I start work, and really don't want to stress out about the GMAT anymore, but want to know if it's in my best interest to close the book on the GMAT for good or not.

I am aiming for the top b-schools (HBS, GBS, etc.) and plan to apply in 3 years. I essentially want to know this: Will my chances of getting into these schools increase with a score of say 730 or 740? I have heard conflicting things such as the GMAT is just a checkbox once it is 700+ vs. every point matters.

GPA: 3.8 in economics & international relations at a good U.S. private school (think USC, NYU, Tufts), magna cum laude (top 10%)
Work Experience: (Incoming Analyst) at Deloitte S&O, plan to take advantage of GSAP program in 3 years

Extracurriculars:
-Strong experience volunteering as a teacher local high schools with at-risk students promoting political action

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by IvyGroupeCEO » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 pm
Hi there,

Would definitely recommend retaking the GMAT. Aim to get at least an 80th percentile in the quant - it really does make a difference, especially for those in your demographic and in more traditional professional roles!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)
Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:47 pm
icecold14422 wrote:Hi everyone,

Extracurriculars:

The key thing here is that you think you can do better and were expecting to do better, so for that reason alone I would say that you should retake, as you really don't want to feel like you've left any stone unturned should you not get admitted. And part of giving the process as a whole your all, so to speak, is obviously to get as close as you can to the best score you can possibly pull out, and it just doesn't seem like you are there yet.

And as you are going for the top schools, any improvement you can achieve will help a lot, so there's that...

Good luck!

JL
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young