SC: Q 17, Test#17,Paper based test by GMAC (disclosed editio

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Concerned at the increase in accident fatalities, Tennesse adopted a child-passenger protection law requiring the parents of children under four years of age to be restrained in a child safety seat.

A. parents of children under four years of age to be restrained in a child safety seat
B. the restraint of parents of children under four years of age in a child safety seat
C. that parents restrain children under four years of age in a child safety seat
D. that children be restrained under four years of age in a child safety seat by their parents.
E. children to be restrained under four years of age by their parents in a child safety seat

The correct answer is C but i think it's wrong as the option starts with 'that' after 'the' which sounds awkward. I didn't find any answer as correct answer.

Please share your views.

Thanks a ton!
When the GOING gets TOUGH, the TOUGH gets GOING

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ldoolitt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 am
That seems odd. Are you sure that 'the' before 'parents' isn't included in the underlined section? If it was this would make more sense.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by manishhemnani » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:23 pm
No, it's not underlined. That's a mistake i guess. Should have been underlined.
When the GOING gets TOUGH, the TOUGH gets GOING

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 am
requiring that is a proper idiom here.

E.option E doesnt make any sense. requiring children to be restrained under four years of age...example of misplaced modifiers. it means parents in a child safety seat

D. D states that a law is required so that children be restrained ??? Thats wrong!

A. A says parents of children be refrained ? Wrong meaning

B. also says the same thing as A.

C is the only one that uses the modifier @ the correct place.

IMO C
:)

manishhemnani wrote:Concerned at the increase in accident fatalities, Tennesse adopted a child-passenger protection law requiring the parents of children under four years of age to be restrained in a child safety seat.

A. parents of children under four years of age to be restrained in a child safety seat
B. the restraint of parents of children under four years of age in a child safety seat
C. that parents restrain children under four years of age in a child safety seat
D. that children be restrained under four years of age in a child safety seat by their parents.
E. children to be restrained under four years of age by their parents in a child safety seat

The correct answer is C but i think it's wrong as the option starts with 'that' after 'the' which sounds awkward. I didn't find any answer as correct answer.

Please share your views.

Thanks a ton!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 am
manishhemnani wrote:Concerned at the increase in accident fatalities, Tennesse adopted a child-passenger protection law requiring the parents of children under four years of age to be restrained in a child safety seat.

Please share your views.

Thanks a ton!
check this link here the is in underlined part
https://www.beatthegmat.com/concerned-at ... 14930.html

a little bit of search always helps!!!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mgmt_gmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:00 am
IMO (C)..

all are passive and in (B) the restrain of.. is awkward.