SC in GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SC in GMAT

by sasen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:30 am
MGMAT SC guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In view of the recent buzz that the SC questions in GMAT have really evolved and that they are no longer as straighfwd....does anyone have any idea whether the mGAMT SC 4th edition(latest one) covers any special topics to deal with the growing intricacies of SC or the crux remians the same as the earlier verions.Anyone who has used MGAMT guides with regards to RC/CR/Quant also please advise!!!

Thanks,
Sasen

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 am
There have been slow changes to SC over time and those changes have been addressed in our SC guides. (The 4th edition just came out a couple of months ago.)

There haven't been any major changes, though - when someone sees 15 questions on one official test and some of those seem "different" that doesn't necessarily mean there were any changes at all. That person might just have been thrown for some reason. Also, there are thousands of questions in the database, so what one person sees on one test is not necessarily representative of the broader trend. Just saying: I'd be careful about the "group-think" that we can develop based on very limited data points and reports of people taking the test. By its very nature, a standardized test cannot introduce major changes without messing up the stats going back over the past couple of years - and people within that time range are all applying together for schools - so the test-writers are pretty cautious about introducing changes gradually.

By the same token, when they introduce a new guide (OG12, say), we do see a different mix of questions, but there still aren't that many "big" changes to what we see. Something might feel more subtle / difficult, but that might just be because you hadn't seen an example of that type before or didn't recognize that it was similar to some other, older problem.

For example, I've spent the last few weeks indexing every single quant problem in the new OG12 and I found nothing - not a single problem - that I couldn't recognize or think "oh, I've seen something like that before." There were a few (<5) for which I thought the wording was kind of different / new, but nothing for which I thought - wow, that's really different. I haven't indexed the verbal side yet, but I'm not expecting any big surprises there either. It's all similar in the end. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sasen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:02 am
Thanks would devalue the preciousness of the reply yet not saying one might sound so uncordial,hence a Thanks. your views and anaytical replies have been priceless.Hope to see you always on that "pedestal" :-)
sasen