Sc 1000 Q590

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Sc 1000 Q590

by its_me07 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:55 pm
590. Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.
(A) Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.
(B) Published in Harlem, two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, were the owner and editor of the Messenger.
(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.
(D) The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and published in Harlem.

Could u tell whats the OA and why?
(E) The owner and editor being two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, the Messenger was published in Harlem.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by seekmba » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 pm
Hey this one is a misplaced modifier error

Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

the modifying phrase Published in Harlem does not modify/qualify the noun owner, instead it should modify the actual publication i.e. Messenger

so choices A & B are incorrect

C -- Correct use of modifier

D -- Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph

this phrase combines singular nouns Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph to make a compund plural noun, hence the dependent clause " who would later make his reputation as a labor leader" is incorrect

E -- being (to be form passive)

Answer should be C

Danielle your comments please!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by its_me07 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:39 pm
hey..thx....i thought it was D.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Danielle » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:06 pm
No comments from me -- seekmba you're a rock star!
Verbal Tutor

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm
(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

I agree that " Published in Harlem" has to be followed by messenger, so this is the only choice availiable

But the bold part where the sentence ends makes me feel even this sentence is not correct.

Please shed some light.
I found this question in OG-10 also.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by Rashmi1804 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm
Karan, this structure is absolutely correct.

The sentence means to say The Messenger(which is published inn Harlem) is owned and edited by two guys, A. Philip Randolph and Chandler Owen.

Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

the modifier in GREEN between two RED COMMAS modifies only A philip Randolph.

Let me know if you still didnot understand!!

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm
okaz,
I got it now

Thanks a lot