Salt deposits

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Salt deposits

by winnerhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 pm
Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile Delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates.

(A) that flourished at the same time as the civilizations
(B) that had flourished at the same time as had the civilizations
(C) that flourished at the same time those had
(D) flourishing at the same time as those did
(E) flourishing at the same time as those were

OA : A

My query : The correct answer of this question doesnot have the parallel construction "X flourished at the same time as the Y did"

It missed the did at the end...but still given as answer in OG..explanation please

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:36 pm
winnerhere wrote:Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile Delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates.

My query : The correct answer of this question doesnot have the parallel construction "X flourished at the same time as the Y did"

It missed the did at the end...but still given as answer in OG..explanation please
ha-ha-ha :) OG is phew after this entry

/which/ and /that/ are relative pronouns referring to things, hence my "poor GMAT" comprehension here was /that/ refers to 'the site', as civilization(s) assume(s) people as well...
so my best guess is the correct answer here is E, and the OA is just another misprint in OG :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by winnerhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:43 pm
Thanks Night reader

Even in E, the "those" refers to the civlization or site(?)..but not a plural noun...isnt it

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 pm
Night reader wrote:
winnerhere wrote:Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile Delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates.

/which/ and /that/ are relative pronouns referring to things, hence my "poor GMAT" comprehension here was /that/ refers to 'the site', as civilization(s) assume(s) people as well...
so my best guess is the correct answer here is E, and the OA is just another misprint in OG :)
E cannot be the answer.
Those has no antecedent

I agree with winnerhere.The civilizations should be followed by DID.
Probably experts can help.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:52 pm
winnerhere wrote:Thanks Night reader

Even in E, the "those" refers to the civlization or site(?)..but not a plural noun...isnt it
no - in E those is not a relative pronoun! that can also be used as a substitute for noun and noun phrases to avoid redundancy --> for this purpose that or /those-in plural/ should stand alone and act as a subject not the complement :)

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:55 pm
prachich1987 wrote:
Night reader wrote:

E cannot be the answer.
Those has no antecedent

/those/ have clear antecedent 'civilization'; by putting in plural we consider 'civilization+s'

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:59 pm
Night reader wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:
Night reader wrote:

E cannot be the answer.
Those has no antecedent

/those/ have clear antecedent 'civilization'; by putting in plural we consider 'civilization+s'
Sorry But I tend to disagree with you here.
I think even the explanations given in OG, cites this as one of the reason behind rejecting E.
THOSE must have a clear,plural & logical antecedent.
Hence E cannot be the answer.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:08 am
Accepted-corrected, I remember now indeed /those/ should have plural antecedent firsthand. I vote for:
that flourished at the same time as the civilizations did

prachich1987 wrote:
Night reader wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:
Night reader wrote:

E cannot be the answer.
Those has no antecedent

Sorry But I tend to disagree with you here.
I think even the explanations given in OG, cites this as one of the reason behind rejecting E.
THOSE must have a clear,plural & logical antecedent.
Hence E cannot be the answer.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:14 am
re: this
first --
OFFICIALLY CORRECT ANSWERS ARE CORRECT!
do not question officially correct answers!

far too many students on this forum make the mistake of questioning the correct answers; please note that doing so is a complete waste of your time and effort. i.e., exactly 0% of the time that you spend posting "isn't this official answer wrong?" is productive, and exactly 100% of that time is wasted.

"is this correct?" is NEVER a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always yes.
"is this wrong?" / "is this X type of error?" is NEVER a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers -- the answer is always no.

instead, the questions you should be asking about correct official answers, if you don't understand them, are:
"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"
"what understanding am i lacking that i need to understand this choice?"

this is a small, but hugely significant, change to your way of thinking -- you will suddenly find it much easier to understand the format, style, and conventions of the official problems if you dispose of the idea that they might be wrong.
it's true that the answer explanations in the OG are sometimes flawed, but that's not the same as saying that the answers themselves are incorrect. the official answers are not incorrect!

--

in this case, that's fine.
you don't need that helping verb in this case. (the sentence wouldn't be incorrect if that helping verb were there -- it just isn't necessary.)

conditions under which a helping verb is REQUIRED in a parallel construction:

1) AMBIGUITY
if the sentence is ambiguous without the helping verb, then you need to add the helping verb.

e.g.
Josh has known Stephanie longer than Tim. --> ambiguous; we don't know whether this means "josh has known stephanie longer that tim has known stephanie" or "josh has known stephanie longer than he has known tim".

Josh has known Stephanie longer than Tim has. --> not ambiguous; correct.

the following sentence is not ambiguous, and so is okay without a helping verb:
Josh has known how to do logarithms longer than Tim.

2) TENSE CHANGE
if the second half of the comparison is in a different timeframe (i.e., it demands a different verb tense), then you should use the helping verb so that you can change the verb tense. if there is no helping verb, the second half of the comparison is assumed to be in the same tense / timeframe as the first half.

for instance, let's say that the intended meaning of the sentence is that a boy named leroy, who is in high school, runs the 100m dash faster than his father ran that race in high school.
Leroy runs the 100m dash faster than his father did. --> correct; we need a tense change, since the tense of the first half (present tense) is not the same as that of the second half (past tense).
Leroy runs the 100m dash faster than his father. --> incorrect, unless you are referring to the speed at which leroy's father runs the 100m now.

--

since neither of these conditions holds in the problem at hand, we don't need a helping verb.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:55 am
lol Ron, I am not wasting my time on saying that OG has made mistake in SC, as it can be interpreted after reading your post-critique. I am just saying that in the past OG HAD INDEED MANY MISTAKES IN THE BOOK or put this as they say - misprints:
www.mba.com/NR/rdonlyres/B6424CFB-B6BA- ... l82006.pdf

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 pm
Night reader wrote:lol Ron, I am not wasting my time on saying that OG has made mistake in SC, as it can be interpreted after reading your post-critique. I am just saying that in the past OG HAD INDEED MANY MISTAKES IN THE BOOK or put this as they say - misprints:
www.mba.com/NR/rdonlyres/B6424CFB-B6BA- ... l82006.pdf
ok, thanks for posting that list. note, however, that those are mostly just typographical errors; there are no instances in which the wrong answer is given to the problem.

also, even if there are a few such typographical errors, the odds are still negligible that you're dealing with one at any given time. (that little document is the whole corrections sheet for three books that, taken together, are approximately 1500 pages of material -- that's a pretty low error rate!)

therefore, if you're facing a decision between (1) "i'm wrong" and (2) "the book is wrong", you can bet good money that it's #1, not #2.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron