• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Review practice essay please!

This topic has 1 expert reply and 0 member replies

Review practice essay please!

Hey everyone, I have been studying for the GMAT's for the past few months and have made some progress I think, but I haven't really focused on the AWA yet. Here is a practice essay from a Manhattan GMAT practice test. If someone could read and send me some pointers that would be awesome!

Thanks

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following memo was circulated by the management team of a retail company:

“We are very pleased to announce the relocation of our inventory, which had been located in four different warehouses throughout the country, to a single new warehouse near Company headquarters in Boston. This consolidated location will cut the company’s expenses for warehouse rent in half. As a result we expect our monthly profitability to go up by this amount.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The management team of a retail company recently released a statement saying that they will be relocating all of their inventory to one single warehouse near the Company headquarters in Boston. They expect that the consolidation of these locations alone will cut the company's expenses for warehouse rent in half. Thus, they feel that their monthly profitability will go up by this amount. This argument has several innate flaws and certain criteria that the warehouse team has failed to mention or consider.

First, regional centers for inventory can sometimes be more expensive in terms of warehouse rent, but are often times more efficient and cost effective when it comes to delivering the product to the customer. Shipping costs from one single warehouse can be extremely expensive, especially when a company is doing a large volume of shipping to various places in the United States or throughout the world. For example, Amazon, an extremely large and successful company that sells almost everything online, recently decided to expand their network of warehouses to store and ship their products. They feel that if they can increase the number of warehouses throughout the United States, they can save money in the long run from shipping costs. I believe that the management team of the retail team has failed to consider the possibility that their shipping costs will increase going forward.

Second, even though one consolidated location will cut the company's expenses for warehouse rent in half, they either failed to mention or consider if they will be able to store all of their merchandise in this one location. Before the consolidation they had four different warehouses. They are now attempting to store and ship all of this merchandise from this one location. This may cause decreasing marginal returns due to a lack of space. Aside from the fact that they may not be able to store all of their merchandise in this one location, workers may be less efficient at handling and shipping the merchandise with less space. This may cause delays in their supply chain and can hurt their long term profitability and customer service.

Finally, they have failed to mention if they will be able to replace the workers in their four locations with similarly qualified individuals. It can be very difficult, especially if unemployment rates are low, to find qualified workers. They may be able to do this very easily, but if the workers at the four regional centers were exceptional at service or a particular skill, they may be extremely costly to replace. I feel that the cost of replacing and training new workers for this one location may offset some of the gains from warehouse rent. The management team must consider these factors and test a hypothesis before consolidating to one location.

In conclusion, this argument lacks the evidence and acknowledgement from management that I feel it needs to hold its ground. The management team must include evidence from similar companies and mention some of the things above to be a stronger argument.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
417 messages
Followed by:
93 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Good stuff! At least a 4.5 or a 5.0 -- which means "You are done with practicing for the AWA." Seriously, if this was your first attempt -- I really don't think you need to spend any more time in this part of the exam. Better return on investment with time spent on quant/verbal.

Hope this helps!

-Brian

Expert Contributor to Beat The GMAT

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! Smile

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep