restaurant company GMATprep

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

restaurant company GMATprep

by rommysingh » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 pm
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.

A) the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically

B) the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its

C) many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company's

d) having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company's

e) recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company's

How do we split instead of reading horizontal how we crack this vertically or is there a better way.
Source Gmat prep
Last edited by rommysingh on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by binit » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:58 am
A IMO.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:00 am
PLEASE underline the relevant portion of the SC.
Although the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its sales at restaurants open for more than a year have declined.

A. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales have increased dramatically, its
B. the restaurant company has recently added many new restaurants across the country and its sales increased dramatically, its
C. many new restaurants have recently been opened across the country and its sales increased dramatically, the restaurant company's
D. having recently added many new restaurants across the country and with its sales increasing dramatically, the restaurant company's
E. recently adding many new restaurants across the country and having its sales increase dramatically, the restaurant company's
STAY IN ONE TENSE unless a change in tense is required.
In B, increased is in the simple past tense, while the other verbs (has added, have declined) are in the present perfect tense.
Since the switch from the present perfect to the simple past is not necessary, eliminate B.

In C, its (singular) seems to refer to many new restaurants (plural).
A singular pronoun cannot serve to refer to a plural antecedent.
Eliminate C.

In D, having recently added seems to refer to the restaurant company's sales, implying that the SALES recently ADDED many new restaurants -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate D.

In E, recently adding seems to refer to the restaurant company's sales, implying that the SALES were recently ADDING many new restaurants -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3