Rejected by Columbia and NYU

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Rejected by Columbia and NYU

by kumaramit » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:57 am
GMAT 710, GPA 3.75, 15 years work experience, Lots of extra-curricular experience during college days

I had only applied for Columbia EMBA and NYU spring part-time.

Columbia EMBA I got an interview from Columbia and was told after the interview that it went well and I have a good profile and plan. However, got a rejection within 2 days of interview.

NYU part-time Spring session I applied 1 day before the decision date and got a rejection in 3 weeks.

I want to know why I would have got rejections. These two schools were among my top three choices - the most preferred one being Wharton EMBA to which I am yet to apply since I want to make sure that I don't screw up Wharton application at any cost. Any feedback on why I would have got rejections or how to find it out and any tips for my Wharton application for EMBA 2013 entry.[/u]

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:09 am
I wish I could offer you feedback but I don't think that anyone can tell you why you were not accepted. The simple answer is that there were "better" candidates. Now what defines better is a black box. Your profile doesn't seem to be what may have kept you out of Columbia's EMBA program. I would venture to say that maybe your age kept you out of the Langone program, assuming the 15 years of work experience started upon graduation from undergrad.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants