Question of the Day - 5th August, 2009

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Question of the Day - 5th August, 2009

by quant-master » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 am
If a code word is defined to be a sequence of different letters chosen from the 10 letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J, what is the ratio of the number of 5-letter code words to the number of 4-letter code words?

A. 5 to 4
B. 3 to 2
C. 2 to 1
D. 5 to 1
E. 6 to 1

OA will be posted here while Detailed explanation will be posted in 24 hrs time in my blog.

Thanks,
Quant-Master
https://gmat-quants.blocked - My Blog Updated almost daily with new quant fundas. Find collection of quants question in my blog

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by navalpike » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 pm
In order to select the 5-letter code, use
10*9*8*7*6
In order to select the 4-letter code, use
10*9*8*7
When we divide the two, we see a ratio of 6 to 1.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hedonist123 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:50 pm
Doesnt the sequence matter?

I think it should be 10P5 : 10P4 which makes the ratio 5:1.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by PussInBoots » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 pm
Someone please ban quant-master. I am tired of him reffering to his forum. I've been member of beatthegmat for over half a year and I've never seen this. We have very respected instructors on this forum and they never try to lure anyone in.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by adssaini » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:59 pm
whether order is important?

by quant-master » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 pm
PussInBoots wrote:Someone please ban quant-master. I am tired of him reffering to his forum. I've been member of beatthegmat for over half a year and I've never seen this. We have very respected instructors on this forum and they never try to lure anyone in.
wiyee!! that is really a strong statement.

I post the questions here and I also post the OA here.

Questions are solved by different forum members here. You don't have to visit my blog for explanation if you are satisfied with the explanation. Only if you are unsatisfied with the explanation posted here I ask you to visit my blog. I just try to reserve the quality of my teaching within my blog. I have restricted posting fundas only to my blog as I felt posting half of the funda here and asking members to visit my blog might be considered as spamming. So I don't post the funda itself.

If you still consider this as spamming than let me know how.

Thanks,
Quant-Master
https://gmat-quants.blocked - My Blog Updated almost daily with new quant fundas. Find collection of quants question in my blog

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by tohellandback » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 pm
quant-master wrote:
PussInBoots wrote:Someone please ban quant-master. I am tired of him reffering to his forum. I've been member of beatthegmat for over half a year and I've never seen this. We have very respected instructors on this forum and they never try to lure anyone in.

Questions are solved by different forum members here. You don't have to visit my blog for explanation if you are satisfied with the explanation. Only if you are unsatisfied with the explanation posted here I ask you to visit my blog. I just try to reserve the quality of my teaching within my blog. I have restricted posting fundas only to my blog as I felt posting half of the funda here and asking members to visit my blog might be considered as spamming. So I don't post the funda itself.

Thanks,
Quant-Master
My two-cents.
I don't know whether its spamming or not but it sure is advertising.
Most of here have joined BTG to learn and help others learn. BTG forums IMO are better than a lot of "funda" books and "masters" out there.
I like BTG because it's a single platform where I get everything I want than can help me prepare for the test and i don't have to look for material anywhere else.
There are some great instructors like Stuart, Ian, Ron, Stacey, Jim who help us a lot and almost all of their posts are full of concepts. but I have never seen any of them advertising their respective classes or blogs here.

If you are a master, then post your concepts here. If people like it, they would surely visit your blog or join you classes, whatever.
I can only imagine what it would be like if Stuart, Ian and each one of the instructors post half the solution here and ask people to visit their blogs for the rest:)
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

by quant-master » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:50 pm
Going forward I will post my explanations here

Thanks,
Quant-Master

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by tohellandback » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 am
IMO E
total 5 letter codes 10P5= 6*7*8*9*10
total 4 letter codes=10P4=7*8*9*10

ratio is 6:1
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 am
tohellandback wrote:
quant-master wrote:

Thanks,
Quant-Master
My two-cents.
I don't know whether its spamming or not but it sure is advertising.
Most of here have joined BTG to learn and help others learn. BTG forums IMO are better than a lot of "funda" books and "masters" out there.
I like BTG because it's a single platform where I get everything I want than can help me prepare for the test and i don't have to look for material anywhere else.
There are some great instructors like Stuart, Ian, Ron, Stacey, Jim who help us a lot and almost all of their posts are full of concepts. but I have never seen any of them advertising their respective classes or blogs here.

If you are a master, then post your concepts here. If people like it, they would surely visit your blog or join you classes, whatever.
I can only imagine what it would be like if Stuart, Ian and each one of the instructors post half the solution here and ask people to visit their blogs for the rest:)
I second that.
I have been with BTG forum for about a year, and I have not seen these kinds of post.The posts here provide valuable information for people like me who cant have access to good GMAT classes.

This is NOT a platform for advertising. So please BACK OFF

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:21 am

Thanks,
Quant-Master
Please go through your First post.A part of your post is as below :
OA will be posted here while Detailed explanation will be posted in 24 hrs time in my blog.

Thanks,
Quant-Master
What is this?? :x

Did you post the Question on your blog?? Definitely no! So why would you post the answer in your blog.

This is a perfect case of spamming.I want the moderators to intervene.This makes me so sick.

Most of the people who are going to give GMAT have already done their undergraduation, so they are quiet mature to figure out what's good and what's not.
Get over yourself Quant-Master or whoever you are.All these cheap marketing techniques are not going to help you at all.

by quant-master » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:43 am
gmat740 wrote:

Thanks,
Quant-Master
Please go through your First post.A part of your post is as below :

Thanks,
Quant-Master
What is this?? :x

Did you post the Question on your blog?? Definitely no! So why would you post the answer in your blog.

This is a perfect case of spamming.I want the moderators to intervene.This makes me so sick.

Most of the people who are going to give GMAT have already done their undergraduation, so they are quiet mature to figure out what's good and what's not.
Get over yourself Quant-Master or whoever you are.All these cheap marketing techniques are not going to help you at all.
Boss. I post the questions in my blog as well. As far as this discussion is concerned I think I have agreed to post the detailed explanations in this same forum itself and avoid these kind of posts. It's better lets get on with the topic.

Thanks,
Quant-Master

quant-master wrote:If a code word is defined to be a sequence of different letters chosen from the 10 letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J, what is the ratio of the number of 5-letter code words to the number of 4-letter code words?

A. 5 to 4
B. 3 to 2
C. 2 to 1
D. 5 to 1
E. 6 to 1

Thanks,
Quant-Master
We have 10 letters to select from

Forming 5 letter code:
we can choose first number in 10 ways...2nd number in 9 ways....similary 5th number 6 ways hence total way of forming the 5 letter code is 10*9*8*7*6 ---(1)

Forming 4 letter code:
In the same manner above 1st number 10 ways ....4th number in 7 ways hence total ways is 10*9*8*7---(2)

Ratio of (1)/(2) is 10*9*8*7*6/10*9*8*7 = 6/1

Hence E. Let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Quant-Master