Question for MGMAT - Virtual Class Vs Regular 9 Week Session

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

I plan on enrolling for the MGMAT Prep classes within the next week or so however i am still not sure as to which route i must go - the virtual class or the regular 9 week sessions. I am currently working full time so i either way i can only attend classes on weekends. I feel more comfortable with a classrom environment. I would appreciate if you could shed some light on both these programs. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm
I'm trying to reply and the spam filter keeps rejecting my post! I've emailed Eric...
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 pm
Here's what Stacey tried to post:

If you feel more comfortable with a classroom environment, and it's not too cumbersome to attend in person, then go for that. If you have to drive more than an hour each way, though, then strongly consider the online course. Both courses are essentially identical (same amount of time, same curriculum, live instruction, etc). The advantage to the in-person course is that it's in-person, of course. The advantage to the on-line course (for everyone) is two simultaneous instructors. The other advantage to the on-line course (for some) is much greater convenience than an in-person course.

Generally, if you feel more comfortable with face-to-face and it's not going to be a huge burden to get there, then go for that.

Best of luck! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 pm
Thanks, Eric. It's so obviously spam, isn't it? Lol.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by guynoor » Tue May 08, 2007 12:57 pm
Thanks for the reply Stacey & Eric thanks for letting me read that reply :) I will be taking the LIRR to Penn Station from LI and its going to take me less than an hour so thats okay. I feel i can focus better in a classroom environment so i guess I will go for that (yeah im old school).

My weakpoints are DS and SC questions in both sections. Thats mainly why i am taking the course. Do you have any suggestions on how i can improve on these while taking the course.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Tue May 08, 2007 1:10 pm
That's actually a pretty complicated question... it's too broad to answer in the forums. Approx. 40% of the classtime is spent on DS and SC - something like 12+ hours! :)

Make sure you talk to your instructor about identifying weaknesses and working on them. Also make sure you sign up for the free half-hour of weekly tutoring that comes with your course. The time is use-it-or-lose-it - that is, you have to use it each week b/c it expires. So make sure you use it!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by guynoor » Wed May 09, 2007 4:56 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:That's actually a pretty complicated question... it's too broad to answer in the forums. Approx. 40% of the classtime is spent on DS and SC - something like 12+ hours! :)

Make sure you talk to your instructor about identifying weaknesses and working on them. Also make sure you sign up for the free half-hour of weekly tutoring that comes with your course. The time is use-it-or-lose-it - that is, you have to use it each week b/c it expires. So make sure you use it!!
Thanks Stacey. Didn't know about this. So this tutoring is with the instructor who would be teaching my class right? Also can we schedule more tests at your online labs besides the 6 we have to while going through the course.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Wed May 09, 2007 1:54 pm
The free weekly 1/2 hour of tutoring is phone-based (too hard logistically to make that in person), so it's whoever's working during the time slot for which you sign up. Probably not going to be your actual instructor, but still one of the instructors.

You asked if you could schedule more tests at our "online labs" - I'm not sure if you're asking whether you can take more than 6 on your own or whether you can take more than 6 at our computing center in Manhattan. Either way, you can take as many tests as you want, but only the first 6 are guaranteed not to have any question repeats. Similarly, yo ucan take as many GMATPrep tests as you want, but only the first 2 are guaranteed not to have any question repeats.

I strongly DO NOT recommend taking that many tests anyway. Tests are checkpoints - you should only be doing one every 2-3 weeks (ideally 3 weeks) and you should be doing A LOT of work in between to improve your weaknesses as identified by the periodic tests.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by guynoor » Wed May 09, 2007 5:01 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:The free weekly 1/2 hour of tutoring is phone-based (too hard logistically to make that in person), so it's whoever's working during the time slot for which you sign up. Probably not going to be your actual instructor, but still one of the instructors.

You asked if you could schedule more tests at our "online labs" - I'm not sure if you're asking whether you can take more than 6 on your own or whether you can take more than 6 at our computing center in Manhattan. Either way, you can take as many tests as you want, but only the first 6 are guaranteed not to have any question repeats. Similarly, yo ucan take as many GMATPrep tests as you want, but only the first 2 are guaranteed not to have any question repeats.

I strongly DO NOT recommend taking that many tests anyway. Tests are checkpoints - you should only be doing one every 2-3 weeks (ideally 3 weeks) and you should be doing A LOT of work in between to improve your weaknesses as identified by the periodic tests.
I'll try to keep that in mind. :D